PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Metroid trailer

Luke Werhli
10-25-2002, 12:33 AM
Well, if the game is what they are showing, probably it will be one of the best games of the year.

Metroid Trailer ( Quicktime ) (http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMediaPage.jsp?media_id=1604991&object_id=15316&channel_id=74&page_title=Metroid+Prime+Videos&adString=network%3Dign%26site%3Dcubeviewer&return_url=http%3A%2F%2Fcube.ign.com%2Fobjects%2F015%2F015316.html)

visualboo
10-25-2002, 02:13 AM
I still wish they wouldn't have made it a FPS... BAH!!

Larry_g1s
10-25-2002, 08:19 AM
It's not a FPS...it's a FPA (A=adventure). :thumbsup: Nintendo said to simply call it a FPS instead of a FPA would be an understatement of the game.

I'm personally looking VERY forward to this game. I simply can't wait for it. I've always loved Metriod (NES, SNES, & GB games). And now they transformed it into a First Person mode. Simply can't wait. :love:

P.s. Luke Werhli that's the commercial that's coming out. It's nice, very nice...but there's a better trailer on IGN's site they posted shortly after E3. I'll post it if I can find the link. I loved it.

MosaFacku
10-25-2002, 04:28 PM
I'm personally looking VERY forward to this game. I simply can't wait for it.

judging from your avatar, i never woulda guessed :)

alphatron
10-25-2002, 05:25 PM
I thought the live-action sequences in the commercial looked really cheesy :D

visualboo
10-25-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Juggernaut
It's not a FPS...it's a FPA (A=adventure). :thumbsup: Nintendo said to simply call it a FPS instead of a FPA would be an understatement of the game.

I'm personally looking VERY forward to this game. I simply can't wait for it. I've always loved Metriod (NES, SNES, & GB games). And now they transformed it into a First Person mode. Simply can't wait. :love:

ok ok, if you wanna get technical ;) I meant FPP (P=Perspective). :p

ZeroNeuro
10-25-2002, 08:36 PM
Just watched the trailer. NICE! Looks like a really sweet game. However... thought Shamus was a lady? Hm. Was when I finished the game :D

Cheers

Ritchie Roberts
ZeroNeuro Arts Ltd.

visualboo
10-25-2002, 08:54 PM
naa.... wasn't that after you beat the game like 10 times? It's been too long for me. :)

bentllama
10-25-2002, 09:34 PM

*groan*

FPA?

I love how Nintendo tries to defy genres. lol
:thumbsdow

Bah. Though Metroid does have some really cool devices and interesting things within the game [I love the HUD], I think I will wait for a better FPS to come out on a serious system.

Larry_g1s
10-26-2002, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by MosaFacku
judging from your avatar, i never woulda guessed :)

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by ZeroNeuro
Just watched the trailer. NICE! Looks like a really sweet game. However... thought Shamus was a lady?

Samus is a female. There's a really cool trailor that at the end says, "She's Back."

Originally posted by bentllama
*groan*

FPA?

I love how Nintendo tries to defy genres. lol
:thumbsdow

Bah. Though Metroid does have some really cool devices and interesting things within the game [I love the HUD], I think I will wait for a better FPS to come out on a serious system.

"on a serious system." :eek: . Come on...no biasism there :rolleyes: . No one's saying this is or has to be better than Halo. They're different kinds of games. The reason it's called a FPA is because it's not a 3rd person shooter game taken into 1st person view. It's an adventure game, taken in to 1st person view. The game looks like it's going to be amazing period.

Larry_g1s
10-26-2002, 04:06 AM
P.s. I've got a really cool trailor Nintendo did for E3 (better than the commercial IMO) if someone wouldn't mind hosting it. It's about 5.5 megs. Let me know by e-mailing me.

FloydBishop
10-26-2002, 07:02 AM
I like Mother Brain from the "Captain N" game series best. That would make for an awesome videogame right there:

http://cnn.captainn.net/tev_episodeguide.html

As far as the decision to make the game into a FP* (*=cornball marketing hype adjective of your choice), that's really too bad. They took one of the best parts of the game and cut it out from the start.

The fact is, all those classic games were much better than the games of today due to their superior gameplay. Today's games are for the most part like a Will Smith FX movie: all show and no real value. You can walk into any game store in the country and buy a "strategy guide" that will let you beat the game easily, even if you're no good. If you lay down the money for the guide, you get to beat the game.

Try that with Pac Man, Super Mario Brothers, or any of the others from around that era.

It's unfortunate that Nintendo looks to be screwing up an old classic, but it's still a little too early to judge Nintendo as old news.

Nintendo's been around for quite some time, first selling playing cards in the streets of Japan as early as 1889.

With a record like that, Bill Gates and the X Box crew have a ways to go to catch up to Nintendo in the grand scheme of things.

jjburton
10-26-2002, 08:24 AM
I was in Best Buy the other day and they had a playable demo of Metroid Prime and Fusion (The Game Boy Advance was out of juice though:( ).

Let me just say that the short 5 minutes I had with fusion was sheer bliss. The controls took a sec to get used too, but the setup is totally emersive.

The art quality is phenomenal, I scanned like 4 different space pirates and got different info on each of them as well as differnent imagery that pops up in the peripheral like skeleton, close ups and such. I was in heaven.

Can't wait till next month:D

bentllama
10-26-2002, 03:34 PM
:"on a serious system." :eek: . Come on...no biasism there :rolleyes: . No one's saying this is or has to be better than Halo. They're different kinds of games. The reason it's called a FPA is because it's not a 3rd person shooter game taken into 1st person view. It's an adventure game, taken in to 1st person view. The game looks like it's going to be amazing period.

hey... don't get me wrong, I am awaiting this game as much as you...but I have an opinion on gaming systems and in general i do not like the gamecube...metroid, as well as a few other games, might be the title to change my mind...i don't know...i guess i will find out soon enough...i actually might purchase a cube for Zelda...it might be worth the purchase to me then

I commented on the fact that nintendo is using the term FPA...it is an FPS plain and simple...there are other FPS' with more complex AI than what i have appeared to see in Metroid...and they arent touting themselves as "FPA's"...

...and that was totally wrong bringing up the "halo" and "bias" comment...I try to leave any bias at the main page...so don't even try to call me on that. I am a gamer like you who enjoys games and forms his own personal opinion on them...

nuff said.

now lets all await the metroid release and enjoy the game in our own individual ways... "FPA" or not :) lol

visualboo
10-27-2002, 07:01 AM
Nate, I'm with you 110%

AnimBot
10-27-2002, 03:07 PM
Yea I'm usually disapointed when I see old school games get the new 3d twist. There's certain games that I've always felt should stay 2d in gameplay. Like when Castlevania came out for the N64 what the heck was that all about. It was an ok game but it was certainly no Symphony of the Night. I hope this next Metroid does end up being a good game but I've got a feeling it's not going to feel anything like a Metroid game.

heavyness
10-27-2002, 09:28 PM
Iím glad someone brought up Metroid Fusion.

Simply put, if you don't like the whole 3D/FPS style that Metroid Prime has turned into, buy Metroid Fusion for the GBA. Fusion is basically Super Metroid from the 16-bit day [but of course with a whole new mission and graphics]. So I am afraid Nintendo has covered all their bases and there is nothing really to bitch about. Also, if you hook up the 2 games with the GBA Link cable, you can share the Metroid Fusion body suit with your Metroid Prime character and also play the original 8-bit Metroid!

Thank you Nintendo.

And as for classic games getting the 3D treatment, well, it's always going to happen. just be happy games like Castlevania for the GBA, Street Fighter, Eiahander for the PSX, and the new Contra for the PS2 are all still workin' the old school game play and are selling just as good as every other game.

Personally, I like the FPS...

AnimBot
10-28-2002, 04:20 AM
And as for classic games getting the 3D treatment, well, it's always going to happen. just be happy games like Castlevania for the GBA, Street Fighter, Eiahander for the PSX, and the new Contra for the PS2 are all still workin' the old school game play and are selling just as good as every other game.

The reason I have a problem with old school 2d games getting a 3d facelift is because it's done regardless of whether or not it's beneficial for the game. It sucks
because the novelty of 3d that was selling so many games on the early 3d consoles is now happening to the GBA and is going to come in full force on the next form of the handheld. For instance we are curently developing a 3d GBA game where I work. The designer prettey much has no idea what to do because there are so many limitations on what can be done, because this 3d engine is generated in software. This doesn't bother the publisher at all because they know the novelty of 3d on the GBA will sell the game. I'm aware this is an extreme case because of the limitations but I'm sure the final decision for metroid came down to sales and not for the benefit of the game.
I understand this is the industry I chose and that's the way it works, but it doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't complain about it.

Larry_g1s
10-30-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by bentllama
hey... don't get me wrong, I am awaiting this game as much as you...but I have an opinion on gaming systems and in general i do not like the gamecube...metroid, as well as a few other games, might be the title to change my mind...i don't know...i guess i will find out soon enough...i actually might purchase a cube for Zelda...it might be worth the purchase to me then

...and that was totally wrong bringing up the "halo" and "bias" comment...I try to leave any bias at the main page...so don't even try to call me on that. I am a gamer like you who enjoys games and forms his own personal opinion on them...

Ok Ok...maybe I jumped the gun a little on the halo thing. I guess I figured that wasnít just bias from your opinion as much as bias from who your second party to, my apologize. :beer:

I do find it hard to believe that you say youíre a gamer and up till now youíve found nothing on the GameCube that would interest you. Iím a gamer that happens to favor Nintendo and the GC more than the other two. But I def. couldnít say the Xbox or PS2 doesnít have anything to offer me. I donít think you could go wrong with either one of the 3 systems. But thatís just me I guessÖ.( a true gamer :p )

I'll right no hard feelings. ;) Keep up the good work.

lordofmaya
11-04-2002, 09:36 PM
I played METROID on the NES 15 years ago and none impressed me after that. THIS ONE, HOWEVER , will ensure i buy the console JUST TO PLAY THIS GAME ! Thanks for posting this link, dude. You've certainly given me something to hope for !
If this is indeed, the game as it will be playable.... CHALK 1 UP FOR NINTENDO !!!!!

:thumbsup:

yakari
11-05-2002, 04:39 AM
This game had me promise my PS2 away to someone for Christmas and just go for a GC.
Anyone else except for jjborton actually played it? I tried it at the local Virgin Megastore the other day... oh yum. I've grown really sick and tired of shootingfest games, and this definitely fit my idea of a good adventure game. Form the little I played it, it seemed rather obvious that the FPA isn't just a new in-word.

b.Schulz
11-05-2002, 05:34 AM
I am buying a gamecube soley for this game and zelda!!! I can't wait...another cool game for PS 2 is Ratchet and Crank. Very cool style!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.