PDA

View Full Version : Philip Straub's CGWorkshop

rogfa
07-10-2005, 02:32 AM
Like a dummy, I kept see-sawing on whether or not to signup for Philip Straub's workshop. A few weeks later the class was full. So, I'm wondering how those who did signup feel about the workshop? And if you'd like to share your work please feel free to post. I also wonder if Philip and the CG guys would be willing to have his lecture notes available for purchase?

Thanks!

Roger

siufay
07-13-2005, 03:33 AM
Hi Roger,

I just finished that course and I just have to say that it was worth every penny. Phil was great. His notes really cleared things up for me. I guess the best part was his feedback, with that I can tell what works and what is expected in the industry.

So, don't hesitate next time you see a course offering! It was really a fun learning experience.

Kent

Philipstraub
07-13-2005, 06:40 AM
Hi Roger,

I just finished that course and I just have to say that it was worth every penny. Phil was great. His notes really cleared things up for me. I guess the best part was his feedback, with that I can tell what works and what is expected in the industry.

So, don't hesitate next time you see a course offering! It was really a fun learning experience.

Kent

Hey Thanks Kent...you did a great job in the class. I'll definitely miss the daily pop ins with all you guys...and all the good work that was produced.

Phil

Philipstraub
07-13-2005, 06:41 AM
Like a dummy, I kept see-sawing on whether or not to signup for Philip Straub's workshop. A few weeks later the class was full. So, I'm wondering how those who did signup feel about the workshop? And if you'd like to share your work please feel free to post. I also wonder if Philip and the CG guys would be willing to have his lecture notes available for purchase?

Thanks!

Roger

On availability of lecture notes...I'll have to get back to you on that one:) Thanks for your interest dood:)

Leonard
07-13-2005, 09:24 AM

Thanks!

Roger

Hey Roger,

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I did want to mention that Phil does have a great book out - d'artiste: Digital Painting. You can pick it up at http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/dartiste_digital_painting/

I'm not entirely sure if we'll be releasing the lecture notes though...

Best,

Leonard

siufay
07-13-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm totally anticipating for Otherworlds!!:bounce:

Jeff Lew
07-13-2005, 05:36 PM
I just finished the class also (well, maybe not completely finished ;) )

Phil is an EXCELLENT teacher and mentor. I didn't know what to expect when I signed up, but when the first tutorials went live, I was amazed by how much work Phil put into the lectures. The weekly lectures were very well organized and structured. He basically lays out the methodology that you will be using from now on when you do a concept piece.

I took a lot from the class, even though I didn't really have a lot of time to complete the assignments. Oh yeah, on the topic of the assignments, he assigns excercises that really nail in the current week's topic. And each week he stretches your imagination in a different direction. The course is never stagnant. In fact it is a lot of work to handle in 7 weeks, so be sure you have enough free time before signing up.

Well, I'm talking as if Phil will be offering this course again. But if he does, be sure to jump in on it! It is a great course. On the side note, it was very apparent that it was a lot of work for Phil to critique and give direction to every student's work. And I can tell you that all of the students appreciate greatly the amount of time Phil put into the course.

Anyway, highly recommended, and thank you Phil!

Jeff Lew
http://www.jefflew.com

AkaKico
07-13-2005, 06:12 PM
I also just finished the course. I would highly recommend to class to anyone : ) Phil was more hands on then most instuctors I've had in the classroom. There was a good feeling of helpfulness from all in the class, I feel lucky to have been in it with such great people. I'm not even very big into 2D art, but I thought it would help my 3D art. I haven't gotten much time to jump back into 3D yet, but I learned so much I know I'm going to see an improvement in my work. People of just about all skill levels will find this course useful. In our class there was a broad range of skills, people at sort sorts of stages of learning about art. I think it only helped the class.
The one thing to watch out for is that you have the time to put into the class that you want to. My only regret is that I didn't have enough time to complete all I wanted too. (I signed up for the class, then got a fulltime job the same week it started) I can't think of any art class I've ever taken that I learned so many new things. Phil's an awesome teacher, sign up fast if it shows up again or I might jump back in!

PatternRecognition
07-13-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm totally anticipating for Otherworlds!!:bounce:

Sorry for the OT.. but Otherworld as in the book series by Tad Williams?! (it's a dream of mine to work as a concept artist for that if it ever gets filmed/made into a CG feature)

Dream Artisan
07-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Hey, if you get the chance, take the class.

I am surprised at my progression, which I wouldn't expect in a 7 week class. Usually it takes semesters of art school, but Phil delivered the lessons well, and he went above and beyond in providing feedback (even with all his regular work to deal with). Good stuff.

-Tom

rogfa
07-13-2005, 11:01 PM
Wow, it looks like everyone had a good experience with it. Thanks for all the comments. I won't hesitate next time ;)

Philipstraub
07-14-2005, 11:50 PM
Thanks again for all the positive feedback guys:)

Phil

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2005, 11:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.