PDA

View Full Version : symetry tool

chaostest
07-09-2005, 08:02 PM
if anyone can here me im having trouble using symmetry,i tried selecting the polys that i want to react and i tryed mirror i just having trouble thanks

R-6
07-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Not clear what you mean? When using symmetry object needs to be centered on X polys on both sides need to be the same.Someone here could explain it better than me.

chaostest
07-10-2005, 05:18 AM
Not clear what you mean? When using symmetry object needs to be centered on X polys on both sides need to be the same.Someone here could explain it better than me.
i started with a link that i came across ,the post was actually from 2003 but the site was still there and i started with there model named draven.it said to start with the head so i did but i made the head different,actually to look like a story character of my own creation,i got it good as far as roughing goes but i used the drag tool.that would hinder it right there huh?i thought, so i deleted to start a new,i think the exact instructions were : set patch division 1,make a cube,SHIFT-D select metaform turns the cube into a poly sorta round box,then it says to mold a decent head shape,i did that to look like my character..............WOW! it worked i just erased the old junk and tried it but this timed centered on x,y,z then selected a poly on one side and the same one on the other side selected automatically..oh man that helped...........so when modelling a whole body you would keep the whole thing centered?but it wont let me use drag tool now. what would i use to make small adjustments ..................DUDE THANX AGAIN U JUST ANSWERED SO MANY QUESTIONS! ... i promise never to type so much again...

blaqDeaph
07-10-2005, 05:41 AM
The annoying thing for me (and one of the reasons I don't particularly like symmetry) is that LW forces you to use it only in 1 axis: X. All actions done to points/polys on the -X axis will also be done on the +X axis.

This can come in real handy for face modeling (although personally I just do the cut half, set value and mirror technique).

Just remember that when using symmetry, the actions that you do will be mirrored across the YZ plane. This could mean you having to rotate the object.

chaostest
07-10-2005, 05:28 PM
i did try the mirror tool before i posted the question, first the head was there i formed with drag,then i selected polys, smooth shift for neck and upp-er torso,then i tryed symmetry ,and extend for the shoulders,but the symmetry didnt work so i hit mirror and two 2d polys kinda put them selves nowhere,like in my model,overlapped if you will,then i undid that and had mirror selected so it would mirror as i exrended but instead of mirroring out for a shoulder it mirrored in the same direction into the torso instead of out from the torso

R-6
07-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Hey chaostest (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=181934)
I also find if u delete half your mesh and symmetry still doesn't work,double check your points(vertices) that are on the x sometimes you might have a stray point.I Highlight all the points on the X then press Alt v to align x at 0.Then mirror.I have found symmetry good once I understood what I was doing wrong:D

dines
07-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Hi there...

Symetry is a nice tool, when you start with a semetric object. For example a box centered in( xyz=000). Ohterwise to get stuff back in symetry can be a pain in the a...
Mirroring is extreme helpful in that case. I use always the numeric panel then I know exactly where and what I am mirroring. So what you wanna do is: Turn off symetrie, cut on half off your head out, select mirror, open numeric panel, set the x value to exact zero... and you should be good to go on modeling.

If you have a center line in your object make sure you position every point with "set value" on the centerline. If you don't have a centerline it needs some tweaking to make the points around the center symetric. After mirroring... merge points...

I hope this helps...

dines

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2005, 08:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.