PDA

View Full Version : dumb question

Deuse
07-09-2005, 07:07 PM
i have just started using shake and am curious how i export my shake scripts to mpeg, avi or some other file final cut pro can read?
i know this is a dumb question so pease bare with me

mushkin
07-09-2005, 09:36 PM
WOO HOO

another warez user...damn do you have to make it so damn clear that your useing a warez copy? Hell you could have called apple on that one or read the out put part of the manual

My warez copy came with a manual...j/k

I had to pay for mine..Damn navy.

Deuse
07-09-2005, 09:52 PM
i got the 30 day trial from the apple pro training series book

mushkin
07-10-2005, 06:32 AM
:banghead:

well I'm a jack ass.

housewarmer
07-11-2005, 09:39 AM
Well to answer the question, I recommend actually outputting an image sequence rather than compressing to a video file. Just create a file out node and name the file out parameter like this:

filename.#.ext -- e.g. composite1.#.iff

If you don't add the # operator the file out node will save every frame on top of itself. Kinda dumb but there you have it.

boboroshi
07-14-2005, 03:37 AM
Well, it's actually in the first chapter of the book. The third page of the first chapter (which is page 11 btw).

"Once finished, a FileOut node is attached to the bottom of the compositing tree to tell Shake where to write the output image. You can use as many FileOuts as you want, placed anywhere along the tree. You can render from the interface by choosing FileOut and then selecting Render FileOut Nodes in the Render menu."

That's pretty damn clear right there. If you took five minutes to look at the file out parameters, you'd see the format field where you can choose file type and all the options.

Here's a tutorial from a thread that just got posted even:
http://www.sketchypictures.com/html/tutorial/shake/fileout.htm

Please, please, please people.
Read the tutorials that come with the app. Buy the Pro Trainign Book. ATTEMPT to learn the software basics. It's not rocket science. We'll love you for it. Really, we will.

tezro
07-17-2005, 12:12 AM
Come on people. Let's be nice to each other. It's true, sometimes you just need to RTFM before "bothering" other folk on the forums with an apparently simple question. But still, we're here to help each other, aren't we? So...to help answer Deuse's question.....

Yes, the best thing you can do is like Housewarmer described it, rendering out sequential image files. Be it .iff, .tga, or .tif, whatever suits your needs.
Final Cut Pro, however, has no option whatsoever importing image sequences, at least not as such. (I'm no FCP expert but the workaround seems to be that you set the default length for imported frames to 1 frame each, you can import the whole lot as as many segments as there are frames. Very handy, mm?)

So, the way to go would be rendering out an uncompressed Quicktime out of Shake, which is a FileOut option as well. Still, rendering out sequential frames is way more flexible, so what you could do if you have Quicktime Pro: you could import the sequence into a QT player, and then save it as an uncompressed QT movie, which you can very probably import in FCP.
This has worked for me couple of times. (Beware of rendering out in file types QT does not support; TGA and TIF at the least will work fine. Check it out.)
Watch out with Mpegs and AVIs though (Does FCP even support these formats?) because these always have some compression going on, at least if you want to keep file sizes managable. You're on a Mac anyway, so I'd stick with Quicktime if I were you.

Hope I wasn't wrong anywhere, if anyone else has hints on this please let us know 'cause swapping files between apps IS just like rocket science sometimes...

Now where were we? Ah yes, class, if you will, proceed to page 42 of the Shake Reference Guide..... :-)

housewarmer
07-19-2005, 12:37 AM
What? No ability to import image sequences into FCP? If so that's super lame, considering sequences are so easy to work with compared to rendering down to a full movie file (compressed or not).

RAZ22
07-19-2005, 03:20 AM
What? No ability to import image sequences into FCP? If so that's super lame, considering sequences are so easy to work with compared to rendering down to a full movie file (compressed or not).

Yes, FCP can import image sequences.

You set the frame length to one frame, as tezro suggested, and then choose Import -> Folder, as opposed to Import -> File.

This will import the numbered sequence in as a clip. If the frame length stays at the default one second, each frame will last one second. Hence, it is important to make sure that the frame length is reset before importing.

If there's a simpler way to do it, I haven't found it yet, but I still love FCP. :thumbsup:

tezro
07-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Ah, allright, so FCP actually imports the frames as one long clip, instead of throwing them in the timeline as diiferent segments? Well, that's fair enough. I'll give it a try next time I'm in front of the box. This better be true.... :-)

RAZ22
07-19-2005, 01:02 PM
Ah, allright, so FCP actually imports the frames as one long clip, instead of throwing them in the timeline as diiferent segments? Well, that's fair enough. I'll give it a try next time I'm in front of the box. This better be true.... :-)

Tezro, alas...no. Where the browser will show the image sequence as one clip, in the timeline they will still be segmented images. I know this was the case in 4.5, and I don't imagine it's changed for 5 but I haven't imported image sequences into 5 as of yet.

I hope this information doesn't ruin your day! :D

tezro
07-20-2005, 04:49 PM
naaahhh....I'm no real FCP guy anyway, we just needed to do exactly that some time ago and then we did the QuickTime import/export trick I talked about earlier in the above...worked fine.
But thanks for the info. :-)
Anyone else?

CGTalk Moderation
07-20-2005, 04:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.