PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Out Mountains?

Jonj1611
07-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi,

I have a basic terrain I have created and I have modelled it into a mountain, however I would like it to be smooth, what is the best and quickest way to smooth the terrain material??

Thanks
Jon

Silverblade-T-E
07-10-2005, 12:10 AM
there's several ways to make it smooth :)

ERODE is usally one of the best ;)

or

copy and paste the image from terrain editor into a 2d ap, apply Gausssian blur, paste it back

Jonj1611
07-10-2005, 08:45 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the tip will try it.

Thanks
Jon

kivanc_k
07-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Well, it has a bit more options for smoothing a terrain.
1-Watch out type of your terrain. Procedural terrains can`t load 2d images (because they are procedural, formed with mathematical formulations) but always smoother.
2-Take care of resolution in terrain editor. Terrain resolution comes 256x256 by default in vue. You may double it by clicking on x2 icon. And you may double it and double it and double it. And you suffer RAM.
3-Try converting your terrain to USGS DEM data. You get nice results but DEM is a deep exploration drill, as it`s meant for real geographic data received from satellites. Contact USGS web site for further details.

royboy
07-11-2005, 06:41 AM
Following works for me - especially if you have got "terraced" data from rasterizing contours :-Exporting as bitmap into photoshop, applying guassian blur around 10-15 pixels (you can start loosing detail with this blur). Then bring back into Vue and smooth with diffuse & with rock type set to soft. Continue smoothing until youre happy with the result - up to 25 times usually does it for me.

CGTalk Moderation
07-11-2005, 06:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.