PDA

View Full Version : industry or culture

shirudo
07-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Hey it's no big deal lots of people identify themselves with thier jobs, but I wonder why all the drama personally I have two jobs niether of them has anything to do with any kind of art still. creating things is somthing I do each and every day whether it's writing, cutting and sequencing music, carving sculptures in everything from plastic to steel, shooting and editing home movies. or modeling with lightwave now don't get me wrong I'm not bragging on myself Most of my art is beyond poor in any sort of technical sense and for the most part whenever I show any of these things to anyone (especially people who are supposed to know how to do these things) technical critique is what I'm looking for but the real reason I do these things has nothing to do with other artists or even audiences it's just an obsession with the idea that thaughts are transferrable to other formats and that people can think of and create things they've never heard, seen, read, felt. ect...
whatever I do for a living I consider myself an artist hell I'd make art for a living if my work was any good but even if all the practice I get never does me any good I'll still consider myself an artist
does artwork have to be your job for you to be an artist? Why does everyone who does these things for a living have to be so disgusted by the idea that some people labor at them for fun why is everybody so quick to identify hobbyists and ametuers as no talent wannabees or posers I'm sure lot's people really are but what's with this stinging hatred for the concept of a person giving themself the job of creating things isn't that work if you work at it or does everyone really believe no one who isn't trying to break into the industry ever creates art or works hard at perfecting thier crafts I don't take classes because I'd rather spend my hard earned money on the various tools I enjoy working with and I enjoy learning new things by experimenting if my work ever really impresses me maybe I'll reconsider my position but in the mean time I just do this stuff because I love it and I work very hard at it
it's not my job but for me it's a way of life and it is still very serious work whether or not others respect it I put in eighteen hours a week typically give or take usually on one day and while I realize that's one day on the job out of seven for most cg artists the point is that it isn't easy to manage sometimes and that hobbyists and ameteurs are often anything but posers wannabees ect.....

Lunatique
07-10-2005, 03:24 AM
1) Learn to punctuate. Your entire post was two very long sentences.

2) Your work speaks for itself. I've seen plenty of works by people who don't do creative things for a living, but as a passion, and their works blow away most of the so-called pros.

shirudo
07-10-2005, 03:51 AM
yea. sorry about that. I guess having an editor has really made me a bit lazy. plus I'm usually riding on a free minuite most of the time I'm writing here. it probably wouldn't kill me to capitalize once in a while either.
I can tell by the things you've written that you really do apreciate art alot. and even though this is a different thread, to answere the question of what art is I would have to say art is anything a person creates for any reason other than utility, or anything a person apreciates for any reason other than function.
I don't want anyone to think I'm exalting myself and I don't want to trash anyone else, but I really have seen alot of pictures computer models ect... that were totally awsome but when I look at them I can't help but tell myself if I was able to do somthing like that I would try and make it a little different. I mean has every way to draw a sci-fi/fantasy chick really been thaught of ? has every way to draw a space ship been drawn ? doesn't anyone really believe that at some point a movie or image is going to come along that is for today what star wars was in it's time ? it just bugs me somtimes to see so many remakes and so many flawless reproductions of cliches by people who are so good at what they do. I think creativity makes a huge difference and those who have it really produce things that stand out, and those that don't serve to illustrate that there are paycheck players on every team. and in every industry.

PerfectBlue
07-11-2005, 05:48 AM
Some artists like to utilize their artistic abilities to make money. Some prefer to keep it a hobby and utilize other talents to generate income. Whatever makes you happy. :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
07-11-2005, 05:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.