PDA

View Full Version : Reading vs Watching

Terro
07-08-2005, 03:09 PM
I've often found myself very inspired after watching movied or animation. Jumping to my PC , trying to create something similar just never works out. Probably because it has already been achieved in what I just seen and doesn't feel original. On top of that I always concentrate too much on my refrance matterial. Cmparing what I do to what I'm trying to achieve and it almost always gives me a bad experiance.

Now when I read and I do read a lot lately, I always paint in my head. Every sentance that goes in generates an original picture in my head. I never drop a book to go paint something because books don't motivate me as much as film, but when I do sit down to work I alway get great results after reading. Not sure why I started this thread, guess I'm just off on another one of my rants, but ohh well. I think what I'm trying to get to here is that writers ger writers block, most artists have a similar problem. Reading a good novel always seems to get original ideas flowing.

Visual imspirations are very important but mental ones complete the cycle. Do you agree?

Nerd_Pack
07-08-2005, 03:46 PM
I tend to agree here, I think it happens a lot because books are intentionally (well, not all, but a lot) written to convey a vague image, but nothing concrete so the reader can really experiment and paint pictures and use their imagination. Movies on the other hand are obviously visual, so once you see them it's hard to see anything else, get what I'm saying? You can't work from a movie as well because you already know exactly what it is and you'd have to repeat it perfectly.

Sometimes when I get blocked I try to search for ideas for novels, or character sketches, that kind of thing, that just describes in words a character or setting or plot, it's cool to see what you get out of that stuff.

CGTalk Moderation
07-08-2005, 03:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.