PDA

View Full Version : Is FPrime, Sasquath, and G2 worth buying. Are there alternatives?

mlmiller1983
07-08-2005, 11:14 AM
I recently bought LW 8 when Newtek was having their $500 Competitive Upgrade Special and absolutely love it. I was checking out Worley Laboratories when I heard about Sasquatch for fur and saw FPrime and G2 as well. I heard Sasquatch was good but you couldn't do fur reflections. As for FPrime and G2 I haven't really heard much about and was wondering if they were even worth buying. My last question is are there alternatives to any of these programs available for LIghtwave 3D users. Thankyou in advance.

Nemoid
07-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Well, they are all 3 cool plugins.
F prime as an alternative render and preview system. it allows you to resume renders, make good previews of your scenes, especially for lighting, texturing. it currently has some little limitations due to Lw SDk for shaders , but its surely worth your maney.

G2 is more a shader/light and texturing enhancer. it gives you alot of possibilities to explore, it allows SSS for skin , and many other things. it also has a cool preview system. if SSS is what you need, there are some cool plugs for that tho.

Sas is for fur and hair. once there was also Joe Alter's Shave and Haircut for these tasks, but unfortunately he does not develop it anymore for Lw. its a cool plug, and u can see something about it in Lw, with SAS lite. but beware, the commercial one has alot of parameters and possibilities that you haven't at your disposal in the Lw built in version.

to see a good use of Sas you can search for Tim Albee's Ghost warrior movie or Tim pictures in general there are alot in the website.

hope this description has been of some help.

mlmiller1983
07-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Thats cool. Do any of the the three applications support network rendering?

tais
07-08-2005, 01:45 PM
not FPrime...

Zarathustra
07-08-2005, 02:00 PM
No alternatives.
G2 is the ONLY SSS option for LW OSX.

mlmiller1983
07-08-2005, 03:33 PM
not FPrime...

Well 2 out of three isn't bad. Thanks

Nemoid
07-08-2005, 04:09 PM
and BTW F prime doesn't support screamernet...
for now, :)

p.s. if youre not working in OSX there are alternative plugs for SSS. do a search on www.flay.com (http://www.flay.com/)

mlmiller1983
07-08-2005, 04:59 PM
and BTW F prime doesn't support screamernet...
for now, :)

p.s. if youre not working in OSX there are alternative plugs for SSS. do a search on www.flay.com (http://www.flay.com/)

I use Win XP so thanks for the link. Much appreicated!

PixelInfected
07-13-2005, 02:14 PM
every of worley plugin are developed by production request of big studios, under big project to optimize, power up and expand arsenal tools of lw. every plugin of worley lab are a muscle power for lw, but, you must know if you really need of it, like every thing in our life.

we use all of worley labs g2, fprime and sas, and we think are great products, but we need them to worke better and faster, not every times and everywhere is real.

check your needings.
my thumb up for worley lab.

3DDave
07-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Absolutly worth it if you NEED those options.

Fprime, no more wating for F9 renders and fast high res GI renders as well.

Sas, no current alternative to fur and hair. Try Sas lite first before going pro.

G2, amazing lighting adjustments with preview. Still waiting on LW SDK to be able to have plugins like G2 work with Fprime.

Agreed, Worley plugins are solid, proven and deliver.

Also related to image enhancment are plugins from evasion|3D, excellent quality as well.

Freak
07-14-2005, 01:43 AM
FPrime is a must have plugin........ IMO....

I would never buy G2 again, as it's crap....... And FPrime replaced it for me anyway...
The original Gaffer was a far cooler plugin....

Sasquatch is not a must have, as it's starting to show it's age, and it's good for fur and grass, but does not excel at long hair in comparison to all the other apps Shag, Shave, Hair etc....
And i would choose Evasion's MeshPaint3D as an alternative, and use Saslite, until we
get to a sasquatch2.... (which you would hope is volumetric, and better integrated)
Obviously it depends on what you do a lot of in LW)

mlmiller1983
07-14-2005, 02:12 AM
Thankyou for all the responeses. It looks like out of all of them FPrime seems to be the must have Plugin while Sasquatch is only for those who really need it and judging from what you people say its outdated, exactly when have any of the Worley applications been updated. Looking at their website it looks like a couple of years.

coffeefery
07-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Um, actually, Worley's website is really primitive, but his tools are excellent. Sasquatch may be a little 'old', but it's a great tool still. Try saslite to see if you really need sasquatch down the road. If you don't do hair/fur/grass often, then you probably don't need sasquatch.

3DDave
07-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Check out Rowsby's work with Sasquatch fur, it is awesome.

http://www.rowsby.com/main.html

Zarathustra
07-14-2005, 05:21 PM
The issue is that Sas is an image filter, meaning the hair doesn't have geometry. I believe that's the gripe as far as it being behind other hair plug-ins. That doesn't mean it's impossible to make decent imagery with it, as proved by Rowsby.

mlmiller1983
07-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Check out Rowsby's work with Sasquatch fur, it is awesome.

http://www.rowsby.com/main.html

Empressive. No denying Sasquatch is a very powerful plugin. I'll play around with Sasquatch lite for while and see if need to buy the full version. I do plan on adding fur and hair to my models and animation once I get the hang of it. Thanks alot, Rowsby should be the poster child for Sasquatch. LOL!

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2005, 05:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.