PDA

View Full Version : vue5 terrain into maya

clodhopper
07-08-2005, 06:43 AM
problems importing Vue5 terrain into Maya.

using obj. format...the origin is way off when i import it into maya. reguardless of scale, the origins should be the same correct? also, the scale of individual terrain peices are not in proportion to eachother. and finally...all rotation transforms do not port to maya 6.5

all i really need is a terrain sample so i can animate interactions with the ground plane and place objects in maya and then i can sync the camera back to Vue. But i can't get any useable imports!

all help is greatly apreicated.

Wabe
07-08-2005, 08:03 AM
Ok, i don't have Maya so i can't probably answer it in big detail.

But your questions seem to be VERY Maya related. How can Vue know that you want to import into Maya and not into Poser (for example)?

Anyway, i would propose you should try to export the whole scene from Vue, that maybe solves the problem with the rotations positioning of the elements.

It simply does not make sense at all to give elements on export the local transformations with them, they simply are relevant for the scene, not for the geometry (plus mappings) i would say.

<Pino>
07-08-2005, 11:49 AM
...I am using Vue Sync tool, and it works fine integrating it in Maya.

clodhopper
07-08-2005, 09:24 PM
aight. I'm getting somewhere....part of the problem was the axis; the maya xyz = Vue xz-y thats why the origins were not matched.

secondly...the reason some of my terrains were off scale and some were not even though i exported together:....Vue "procedural" terrains DO Not Export correctly; so i made them all "standard" and now its much better. good to know.

Wabe; I looked into exporting full scenes; that function only allows for .3ds and .lw formats....3ds whipes out all transforms and stacks every object at origin in maya and i don't have a plugin fer .lw imports. i need .obj.

Pino; Vue sync works great for me from maya to Vue but not Vue to maya, and even then its only fer cameras.... i need ground terrain in maya. is there something i'm missing about vuesynch?

thanks fer the quick responses guys.

mill
07-09-2005, 02:19 AM
Hi.
I had the same problem.

Before exporting as obj, convert the procedural terrain into the standard one.
Then perform union boolean operation.
In Maya, translate the object manually using the relative pivot position in Vue as a reference.
Y translation in Vue = -Z in Maya
Z translation in Vue = Y in Maya
It is not perfect but at least I can make a camera animation.

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2005, 02:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.