PDA

View Full Version : Major Weight Map Problems

jumbo
07-08-2005, 01:42 AM
I am a newbie to character animation but am working on a project for a client that requires it. I have gotten along well with rigging until now.

I have gotten the legs to work perfectly with their weight maps. I went and made weight maps for the arms, but when I switched to layout, I got a weird looking arm (see attachment, deformed.jpg).

After clearing the maps and trying again, I got this (see attachment, bagpipe_arms.jpg). I don't have a clue about what's going on here, the problem ceases when I assign a blank map or no map, however, I can't animate the arm that way.

Can anyone help me? The deadline is quickly approaching.

Eugeny
07-08-2005, 02:05 PM
If u use "use Weight Map Only" option - don't assign any null ore blank map - simply deactivate bones without weight maps ...
Check your maps on problem areas , maybe u have few maps assigned to the same part. U can select point in modeler and hit "i" to bring info window were u can find information about assigned weight maps ...
That's that i can suggest u right now, if u can post the model i can fix it (or at last check the set up).
Good luck.

jumbo
07-09-2005, 01:40 AM
I got the arms straightened out, but the hands are still causing a problem. I fixed the arms by changing the bone hierarchy slightly and having certain settings for a few bones.

As you can see from the attachment, the left hand is really messed up, but the right hand is good. The right hand is distorted because I haven't put any weight on the maps for the fingers yet, and I moved the arm up.

I also took one of the models provided in the CD that came with the book, put it into my scene and told it to use my model's bones. It ended up with the same distortions.

The distortions really look painful, but less painful now, because talking with the client today, I discovered that the deadline isn't as close as I thought.

Thank you for your help; any thoughts on the hand?

Eugeny
07-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Did u made "Record rest position " for the bones after moving / reparenting ?

T4D
07-09-2005, 11:02 AM
That looks alot like a RRP problem :wise:
That dam thing, Useful but not, all at the same time :sad:

jumbo
07-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Wow! Thank you, that did the trick. :thumbsup: It was the RRP.

Here's an update picture of the model, which shows my excitement about getting it working.

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2005, 11:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.