PDA

View Full Version : Concept art - where to start

yAdam
07-07-2005, 10:05 PM
The title may be a bit misleading, i dont actually want to know how to draw/paint etc.
Instead I am unsure what do to do about finding positions as a concept artist or something similar. Now I know that experience is needed to find a job in a game or film company, but not neccesarily if you are freelance, but for either I really dont have any idea where to start.

I have just finished a computer animation degree, I always thought that I would eventually go into 3D and that I would want to, and even though I have always loved drawing and painting I never began to think of making a career out of it. (I think I am ok at what would be considered concept art at the moment, but I obvioulsly need to improve and like all atists, continually keep improving) like I said, I dont know where to start looking for jobs. At first I thought it would be best to go for the games industry because I assumed it would be easier to get into rather than film, I applied to a few agencies and their response was no experience etc...

Now I am wondering where to go next, maybe try and get a position as an intern artist somewhere, but I wouldnt know where to start looking, and I know there must be more places that need artists than games tv, or film, but its just finding them thats the trouble, 'cause i dont know where to begin looking.

I would appreciate any kind of advice or guidance, or just how some of you got started in the industry.

Thanks for any help!
Adam:)

PerfectBlue
07-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Find about a dozen companies you want to work for, draw up concepts for a popular product of theirs (orcs for blizzard, etc) and make a few phone calls. I know you can just email it, but the best bet is to talk to someone and get to know a name or two, and have them know yours. If you are fortunate enough to live nearby, walk in and shake a few hands and voice your interest. The key though will be the portion of your portfolio which directly applies to them. It sets a great example.

Hope that helps some. I am sure others can give you more tips. :)

Lunatique
07-08-2005, 03:22 AM
You should have a portfolio website, showing your best works only. Then, look for jobs in places like gamasutra.com. They have postings all the time for game jobs, and many of them are concept artist positions. You can also go to conceptart.org--some of the best concept artists in the industry hang out there.

yAdam
07-08-2005, 04:31 PM
thanks for the info so far. I think doing what both of you suggested is a good idea. i better get to work.

CGTalk Moderation
07-08-2005, 04:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.