PDA

View Full Version : Blending surfaces

joshstanley
07-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Ok, I believe this is pretty basic, but I ve never been able to figure it out. What is the best way to blend textures? If I have a cube and one side is yellow and the side next to it is red, how would I make it so there isnt a sharp line but a soft transitional gradient between the two? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Josh

kangonto
07-07-2005, 05:59 PM
There are lots of methods !

Use gradients as alpha compositors.

This thread doesn't use gradients but i think it could help.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=160695

I think another typical method is using weightmaps. Do a search.

Trench
07-07-2005, 06:53 PM
I never used it, but there is a shader within lightwave to called Surf Mixer. You can control the blending using any normal texturing methods such as a gradient-weightmap-alpha. Probably good for complex textures.

Hope it help...

peteb
07-08-2005, 03:35 PM
The best way to blend "textures" is in photoshop and then UV across the mesh. Or if you want to have a seperate texture on top of another use layers in the colour slot of the material and add a seperate texture with an alpha on top of the first. That way you can have it blend out and you can also move it about to where you want it. If you meant blending materials then do what the guys above said and use gradients...although you could use a gradient to blend textures as well but you have les control.

PeteB

blaqDeaph
07-09-2005, 08:58 AM
how would I make it so there isnt a sharp line but a soft transitional gradient between the two?

You answered your own question: you can do this by using a Gradient. Try adding a color gradient, based on a Weight Map (or based on anything else, like Slope).

Of course, the solution that will give you the most control is if you use UV texturing and make the gradient in Photoshop.

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2005, 08:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.