PDA

View Full Version : Terrain scaling

royboy
07-07-2005, 04:04 PM
I have managed to create a nice looking terrain of a real world area using a geotiff file. The area is roughly a square of around 50KM. Looks good in VUE however can seem to get the scaling right. I doubled resolution of terrain to 1024x1024. Anyone managed to display accurate scales within vue? Ideally would like to keep it to accurate scale 1:10 000 without streching the terrain? Also when I drop tree's the scale never seems to be right

Anyone know how I can keep the scale geographically accurate in vue? Thanks for any replies

Wabe
07-08-2005, 06:55 AM
First question. What Vue version are you using? This can be important for future answers.

Whatever version you have you should switch off the automatic scale and center in the preferences. So that all you import (not created inside the program!) is scaled as it was before!

Anyone managed to display accurate scales within vue? Ideally would like to keep it to accurate scale 1:10 000 without streching the terrain? Also when I drop tree's the scale never seems to be right

Anyone know how I can keep the scale geographically accurate in vue? Thanks for any replies

What do you mean with "geographically accurate?" Related to what?

Don't forget, Vue is made to make illustrations so to say, not simulations. But there are of course tricks to come closer to that. I fear there is not really a trick to make the trees come in in the right size - how should the program know? BTW, for a terrain of 50 km the trees would simply look like dots - if at all. A waste then to have dots with 20,000 and more polygons. But that is another question i guess.

The trees (or primitives) are always scaled and centered in the 3 views (top, side...) as they are at the moment of creation. Maybe it works therefore to import only when you have a view that oversees the whole terrain - from a geographically correct pov :D

What you could do as well is to make a reference cube (house or whatever), create the trees then and scale them down according to that reference. And keep the numerical scaling value to do that with all other trees that come in.

royboy
07-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks for you reply. I'm using Vue 5. I'll try with turing off the automatic scaling.
When I mean geograpically accurate - kinda mean that 1 cm would be shown as 1 metre or whatever in real life at a certain zoom. What I'm planning on doing is using this 50 Km square for flyover then zooming in onto another texture - ie 5 Km x 5Km then into a building site of around 100m x 200m. Guessing I will use 3 textures of different resolution. Reference cube is a good idea, will try that.

Nanotyrannus
07-08-2005, 11:46 PM
Unfortunately Vue does not have real world units (metric or english) I've found you pretty much just have to wing it, Vue really isn't designed to do anything but make pretty pictures. You CAN use it for visualization purposes (which I do) but you pretty much have to place reference objects in that are the correct size for accurate scaling of various objects. You're not alone, this topic has come up a lot from people trying to do real world stuff in Vue but as yet they haven't seemed to notice and/or do anything about it.

Silverblade-T-E
07-10-2005, 12:08 AM
With Infinite anyway, you can set more precise sizes based off the Vue world:

Options, Display Real size of object in World units

kivanc_k
07-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Yes.
And I realized that, vue`s unit system has a 1:20 scaling factor which I obtained from Lightwave2Vue import/exports. You may try finding the (near) accurate scaling factor by importing/exporting the same object to your most favorite 3D app using metric system. It works.

mdunakin
07-15-2005, 06:56 AM
Ha!
This thread is classic, as I was about to post my own thread on the same subject.
So, now it looks like everyone pretty much answered the questions I would of asked, so thanx!

About the only other thing I had to wonder about, after I got a dem file loaded in last night,
was how the heck can you determine which end of the area is north south or east and west?

Guess there isn't one.
And also, I am planning the very same thing as royboy is attempting, i.e. to create
the different sized terrains and adjust things as the camera comes flying and zooming in.
You know, like the old tricks of flying through a cloud and then past a tree real close
or something to help with the fades between the different sized rez'es of maps (terrains).

Thanx for all the info all.................md :)

royboy
07-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Thanks for your responses. Just one question on the lightwave whereby the scaling is around 1:20. If I have a terrain of scale 1024 in Vue - this equates to around 51.2 "units" in lightwave? Would the units in lightwave represent metres/cm/mm? Thanks

royboy
07-19-2005, 11:27 AM
Actually 1:20 would be 20480 lightwave units..

mdunakin
07-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not of much help, as all this units stuff just gets me all lost.

Wished I knew more about how it all worked, so I could be of some better help to
othrs on this subject, but I am just to lame in that area of knolege.

...........md :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2005, 03:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.