PDA

View Full Version : CG Art and Monitors.

PauGfx
07-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Hi Everyone.
i wanted to start this thread because. i have seen to much problems
when displaying my art and showing it to ppl and friends.
what i see on my monitor is often not what is displayed on the other monitors.
i mean contrast.brightness.

Its to bad that there isnt any standard that should be default on all manufactured monitors.
an international standard. because you know what a big diffrens there can be how
you experience a picture that is to bright or to dark.

any comments or thought about this? or any URL that explains on how to do
the monitor adjusments correctly?

/Paugfx

Kargokultti
07-07-2005, 10:44 AM
If you have the money, find a monitor calibration company and let them do the dirty work.

If you don't, do it the stupid way: check e.g. in Photoshop if the blacks and whites in your images are really black and white. Mine weren't, so I made an image with black, white, a nearly black grey and a nearly white grey. Then -using the image as a reference - I fiddled around with gamma, contrast and brightness. The result's probably something horrible, but I think it's a better horrible than what it was before.

PauGfx
07-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi Veera.
that only solves the problem for the artist, but all the viewers, they dont see what you see
on your monitor. i think the only fair way to show what you have created is to print it.
cause everybody on CGtalk dont have the same monitor setting.

i have done the same thing as you, in photoshop . about the whites and black. i
recomend all that are going to callibrate their monitors to do it in a dark room.
and all your lamps turned off in the room.

but i still think it would be a great idea to have some kind of an ISO standard on all new manufactured monitors.

/P

jmBoekestein
07-07-2005, 11:12 AM
The trouble with that is the cost. Setting up a monitor with a very high range of colours(because by shifting gamma and such you actually change the colours) needs that much more precision. The posphor needs to respond well enough for that and for instance my crt has two electron guns instead of one. The solution at this point in time is colourprofiles, I guess that's why photoshop has such an extensive amount of control over that.

I don't think it will happen soon. Maybe if tft's turn out to be more controllable in the future through nano tubes, maybe. But I don't think so. :shrug:

btw, I thought adobe had this little utility for calibrating your monitor, there's also a LaCie product, a little sucker you stick on your screen and does it automatically. There's also a monitor system called the colour reference system or something like that, very expensive though but it seems to be the best.

JohNLA
07-08-2005, 12:42 AM
Displays also change over time. The screen you are looking at now will not look the same in three years.

Lunatique
07-08-2005, 03:25 AM
For contrast and brightness, you can just use one of those value strip images, and for color correction, you can get one of those devices like the Spyder (you stick it in front of your monitor, and it'll analyze the colors that your monitor ouputs).

_slvl
07-08-2005, 08:05 AM
Photoshop has a fairly easy calibration program (Adobe Gamma) which helps you set the colors fairly correct. Although this wouldn't be as accurate as using a calibration device it will help. It let's you correct the overall gamma or the gamma of the main colors (rgb).

I used it on my laptop which had a very blue hue, like most lcds. Although it can't reproduce the colors correctly it is certainly much more correct now.

The program is located in the control panel (on pc) I don't know where it is located on a Mac.

mangolass
07-10-2005, 12:41 AM
The biggest problem with some people's monitors is where they put them. If you have a window reflecting into your screen, or bright glare on it, then no matter how you ajust it, it won't look right, and what you paint will come out too contrasty. If you go into a dark room and adjust so a photograph looks good and natural, then your art will look good as well.

LT

csDevil
07-10-2005, 05:58 PM
my way to calibrate the monitor:

I have a picture I've taken w/ my mechanical camera. It's been printed and scanned on the best photo labs I know.
the photo has distict colours and brightness. so I simply compare the digital and the printed till they match.

ThomasMahler
07-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Agree here, that's definitely one big downer when it comes to CG Art.

But it's not only color and contrast. Resolution also is a major point. For example, I've been using 1600*1200 on my monitor (22", rather large) and I was actually shocked to see how my images looked if you're on 1024*768, 1280*1024 or something like that. Definitely should have checked the renderings I did on other resolutions...

And as for printing - Well, I had to print my latest works for my portfolio for school and some pieces I had to print 4 to 5 times, each time with different adjustments, so the print would closely mimic what I've seen on my monitor (and I had to pay for each of those, ouch!). It's just so stupid that there's absolutely _no_ color/contrast standard for monitors and printers...

CGTalk Moderation
07-10-2005, 06:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.