PDA

View Full Version : Can Lightwave read an OBJ file format?

BuT
07-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Hi all, is there any way in which LW can read an OBJ file format?
could anybody help me with this?

thanks in advance

PetterSundnes
07-07-2005, 09:11 AM
What version of LightWave?

geoff3dnz
07-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Yes, it can. In Modeller go to load object, and change the "Files of type" dropdown list to "All Files" instead of "Objects".

Exper
07-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Open Modeler's config file with a plain text editor; find "FileType Objects" and add ";.obj" at the end of the line and save.

Modeler will (at the next start) show OBJ files this way. ;)

BuT
07-07-2005, 09:54 AM
geoff3dnz and Exper thanks for your tips.
First, I tried sellecting All Documents from the drop down menu.
I can sellect the file, LW crashes as it attempts to open the file.
I will now try Exper's tip. but where can I find the LW config file.
in which directory would this file be on the MAC system

guys, thanks again
Q

Exper
07-07-2005, 10:03 AM
geoff3dnz and Exper thanks for your tips.
First, I tried sellecting All Documents from the drop down menu.
I can sellect the file, LW crashes as it attempts to open the file.
I will now try Exper's tip. but where can I find the LW config file.
in which directory would this file be on the MAC systemYou're welcome!

If LW crashes loading an OBJ: the OBJ is bad, includes somthing that LW cannot understand or your LW installation has some problems (rescan the plugins from "Edit Plugins" ALT + F11).

Adding the .obj extension to Modeler's Config let you directly see OBJ files (but not solve the crashes).
LW's Config files: go to the directory in which you installed LW, then Programs dir (at least for Win... I didn't used a Mac in the last 10 years).

Hope it helps.

BuT
07-07-2005, 10:17 AM
I appreciate you help. I am using sketchUp five. It just got released. One of its export options is OBJ. I am trying to open up the OBJ exported file with LW to render the model with a more realistic appeal. Every time I try opening that file in either LW or Modo, I doesn’t work. I LW it crashes and Modo doesn’t respond.

Now I am able to export it to a 3DS file format, and open the file successfully with LW.
Well, I guess this is good for now. As long as the model opens up, I can get my work done.

Thanks again guys
Q

telamon
07-07-2005, 11:53 PM
I had many crashes when opening obj files in LW. Though the obj structure is "standardized", it seems that some interpretations of this structure cannot be read by LW.

I have a file modeled using Milkshape that I could open with XSI and a couple of free programs but LW could not.

AngelDream
07-08-2005, 12:21 AM
just my two cents: I'm using the free DAZ Studio beta, and the, also, free model Aiko 3 LE, and after exporting it from DAZ as obj, it can be perfectly opened in LW, keeping the information on textures and uv mapping, although you've to re-apply the textures using the UV map provided.

c-g
07-08-2005, 12:46 AM
Try loading the file into layout (yes, layout can load 3ds/dxf/objs) :)

I have had a few obj files that crash modeler but Layout load them fine. You can then save the object out as a lwo file.

MooseDog
07-08-2005, 11:19 AM
yes, layout can load 3ds/dxf/objs

now THERE'S a cool tip! thx:thumbsup:

Exper
07-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Funny! :thumbsup:
Great tip: simple and effective!

BuT
07-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Over triangulation

Hi all, I was able to import the a 3DS model to modeler, but the model is over
Triangulated. I have to go over the entire model to merge adjacent polygons.
Is there a way to import the model without it being triangulated?

Thanks
Q

BeeVee
07-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Not in .3ds format - it only works with triangulated polys. If you search Flay for MergeTrigonsX you will get a plug-in that is able to convert triangles into nGons automatically, and very fast on a PC (the Mac version is only a LScript that takes a minutes for about 1000 polys last time I tried).

B

blaqDeaph
07-09-2005, 07:53 AM
Try loading the file into layout (yes, layout can load 3ds/dxf/objs) :)

Yes, but as mentioned earlier, it triangulates the polys, something you *do not* want with an object.

You could try DXF, although that only supports basic geomerty and QUADs. Depends on how complex a model you wish to export.

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2005, 07:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.