PDA

View Full Version : Cinema 4D and Pinnacle Studio 8

eyefull64
07-06-2005, 10:15 PM
I have a copy of C4D 5SE (yes, I've got no money). I also have a full version of Pinnacle Studio 8. All of this is running under Win XP.

When a render to as an AVI, the Studio JMPEG codec isn't available within the AVI system compression options list. What should I be looking for? Is there a way to make this admitedly old version of C4D use this newer codec?

If there isn't an answer to this, can someone suggest the best rendering technique. Occasionally, when a render is converted to Studio 8, it causes corrupt frames. Whilst I can painstaking remove these frames individually, it destroys the smoothness of the animation.

Plus any codec I use tends to be pretty lossy.

Any ideas?

dann_stubbs
07-07-2005, 01:05 AM
I have a copy of C4D 5SE (yes, I've got no money). I also have a full version of Pinnacle Studio 8. All of this is running under Win XP.

When a render to as an AVI, the Studio JMPEG codec isn't available within the AVI system compression options list. What should I be looking for? Is there a way to make this admitedly old version of C4D use this newer codec?

If there isn't an answer to this, can someone suggest the best rendering technique. Occasionally, when a render is converted to Studio 8, it causes corrupt frames. Whilst I can painstaking remove these frames individually, it destroys the smoothness of the animation.

Plus any codec I use tends to be pretty lossy.

Any ideas?

yes - you sort of answered it yourself - render to frames. then if there is a bad frame from the render you can simply re-render it.

also this will give you the best quality source to start with (render to a non lossy codec - but try to avoid tiff unless you have TONS of hard drive space to waste - pick a codec that does lossless compression so it will do something like RLE compression so the images are not permanently degraded by the codec)

then you can import the frames into your editing program and then complile them with any codec you choose. also this now gives you the freedom to experiment with different codecs or compression settings to see which may suit your render best.

if you render to a .avi or use any lossy compression when you render you are permanently degrading your image data - then the editing process will degrade it again as you recompress it again.

since the rendering is usually the bigger of the time useages you are saving yourself a lot of time from having to re-render all over if the codec and compression you have picked is not good enough quality.

good luck,

dann

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2005, 01:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.