PDA

View Full Version : combinig curves help plz?

newRigger
07-06-2005, 06:17 PM
hi i have curves, that are set up in a Y shape.. one side of the Y is 1 solid curve:

: /
:|

the other side of the y is another curve \ so it ends up looking ilke this:

:\ /
: | and is a total of 2 curves... does this make sence? the point where all 3 of the curves i would like to combine into 1 curve(FAKED 1 curve).. like: edit polygon -> combine.. i dont want it to actualy be 1 curve, just so that if i select any one of the curves it selects them all.. not one curve then pickwalk up to a group etc

it seems odd that you can combine only polygons in maya is there a mel/script/tutorial on how to combine other objects? dangit it seems like such a simple task ony i just cant figure it out!

does this make sence?

michaelcomet
07-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Select the "shape" node of one.
Then select teh parent transform of the target second one.

use the MEL command:

parent -add -s ;

This will make a copyof the first shape and parent it under teh second objects transform. THen you can delete the first one...and now your second object has both shape nodes underneath. Good for making more complicated shape curves for animation controls.

-comet

newRigger
07-07-2005, 09:43 PM
but now i ask can i do it with other objects? is there a mel to do the same operation with nurbs surface? or a locator?

thanks!

michaelcomet
07-08-2005, 01:40 PM
NURBs surfaces not sure. Poly objects you can combine, but since NURB's are built off of uv patches I don't know if it will work.

Actually the same parent -add -s will probably work for nurbs, and possibly locators as well.

CGTalk Moderation
07-08-2005, 01:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.