PDA

View Full Version : Controlling sound effects in real time

j00ey
07-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Hi
I don't really know which is the best forum to post this so I'm going to try a few [mods - apologies for the duplication]

I have a really long shot of a laser cutting into stone and I have a sort of buzzing / hissing sound effect I want to use but it is pretty constant all the way through... so what I want to do is play the clip and use some software [I know I can get access to soundforge and ACID, maybe something else is what I need though] to twiddle some sort of knob to change the volume / envelope or something [don't know much about sound] so that it appears to get louder or hissier or something when the laser is going more slowly across the surface - and record the knob twiddling so it can be played back / rendered to wav... I just need to tie the audio and visual together somehow really.

I have a custom 'slowness' attribute on a locator in maya which I could bake out and use that as a control if that's possible without writing custom software. It's too long a shot [5000 frames] to bake the graph and manually use it as a guide to keyframe in say after effects

Hope that makes sense
thanks for reading
j00ey

Matty2Phatty
07-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Most film editing packages will let you keyframe the audio to get louder or softer...

Other than that, i would recommend a professional audio editing program.

j00ey
07-06-2005, 09:07 PM
thanks for that - my problem really though is as i said, the shot is too long to keyframe and real-time would give a much more natural effect. Also it's not really just about getting louder and softer - the character of the sound nedds to chage too.
I have friends who are [electronic] musicians so maybe i'll be able to find one that will help me
j

Matty2Phatty
07-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Oh sorry man, guess i didn't pay enough attention to what you said :(

I guess short of having a mixing desk you're out of luck.

mixermanic
07-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Don't know if you resolved your problem, but here's my 2 sous :-)

With your laser sound, if you can get access to a Lo Pass / Resonance filter and fiddle around with that (not sure if you can use an envelope to track the filters in sound forge - I have a feeling you can though) that should create more hiss depending on the parameters (generally increase the cutoff of the LPF and increase the resonance simultaneously, just be careful you don't push the resonance too far otherwise it will start feeding back and ring modulating, which isn't a nice effect).

I know that in sound forge you can create white noise, if you can mix and modulate the white noise using the FM ops in sound forge that might work.

Alternatively, find another long laser FX that is considerably higher than your current one and mix the two together.

These are very rough and ready solutions. The ideal would be to find someone with a synth (soft- or hardware) and load the laser fx in as a sample, or alternatively using a multitrack sequencer (I use Nuendo which is the post-production equipped version of Steinberg's Cubase SX). I'm sure you can find demos of these that would save for 30 days.

Best,

Martin

CGTalk Moderation
07-25-2005, 01:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.