PDA

View Full Version : Maya Hair problem

MartinK
07-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Hi

I've made some hair for my character just after texturing and it looked ok.
Then I started the rigging and binding, painted weights and made blendshapes for deformation.
When I was ready to start to create a walkcycle, I did a test-render but now the hair looked wierd (see image). I can't figure out what has happend along the way. Any ideas?

http://80.203.235.236/martink/images/hair_failure.jpg

Thanks

Martin K

pappuftp
07-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Dunno much abt hair in Maya but is it possible that u may have attached the head to the body after u had created the hair?? but that might be an issue

wait for a more concrete answer .. u might be going on a whild goose chase

mswertfager
07-13-2005, 07:27 PM
I am wondering, is that only appearing in the rendering or can you see the extra CV's on the curves?

The giggles, you might try resetting the resting and starting positions, after you have done all this work to it.

Also, when you did the blend shapes, did you blend the hair with the head?

-M

Duncan
07-14-2005, 04:42 PM
I'm guessing you have some (very little) transparency on some shaders or have a transparency map. When the depthType on the camera is set to furthestVisible (the default setting) then any transparency or transparency map( the map could be fully opaque.. any input connection to transparency will cause this) will prevent the surface from appearing in the depth buffer. The depth buffer is used by paint effects for occlusion, so paint effects will show through these surfaces. If you need the transparency, you could make the depthType = nearestVisible, and possibly set a transparency threshold( the transparency at which a surface appears in the depth buffer ). Be careful, however, as in your scene you may get white fringes( where the background shows through) around forground objects that are in front of the black pfx hair. This is because with nearest visible ON the antialiased boundaries of objects now appear in the depth buffer and can occlude pfx. A solution to this latter problem is turn off antialiasing, render at double resolution then resize back down to your target resolution(a high quality resize should be used).

Duncan

MartinK
07-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Sorry I haven't been able to reply before......thanks to all for your suggestions.
Duncan, your right. Tranparencey is the "bad guy". I've used a PSD-file as texture map and it's been changed during the process. It seems that when I've updated the texture file in Maya it applies a transparency connection - even if I removed it earlier.

Anyway, problem solved - thanks Duncan

Martin

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2005, 04:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.