PDA

View Full Version : College

Morpheus88
07-06-2005, 03:58 AM
I graduate from high school next year and I am looking into my options for college. I am looking to get a Bachelor degree in computer science. I had read topics on the forums about online classes and doing the work at home, and most mentioned that it had some downsides. I had found a online college called bakercollegeonline (http://www.bakercollegeonline.com) they have a good Computer Science class far as I can tell.

I was curious what everyone thought about them and if it be worth my time. I would go to a actual college but I do not really have money stored up for college, so I am going to have to do college and work to make a go at it. It will be really difficult for me to go to college and work, not impossible but would be pretty hard and I find this to be a bit easier on me. If anyone has any comments on this let me know. I know some people when going to apply for a job will look down on this but I hope to put toghether work to show company's, and this college does seem to have team projects for people to participate in.

Thanks, for comments in advance.

mummey
07-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Go to community college, get all the generic courses out of the way. Then find a good 4-year college to finish your degree.

Trust me, you'll thank me afterward.
-b

PS: If you go this route, be sure to stop by the 4 year college FIRST and find out which classes you need to take at the CC so they'll transfer correctly.

Saikin
07-06-2005, 08:11 AM
also, find a good community college that will teach you the Gen. Ed. course thoroughly. I'm going here this fall seeing how I just gadge-ated; http://www.unl.edu

you'll have to work no matter what to pay for school(s). CC schools are cheap but you're going to have to work. Once you find a good/credible university, transfer your credits and make sure they transferred, nothing like going to college having to take those classes again. ;)

Start looking for jobs and stuff in the city where you plan on attending the CC. Go talk to some employers and tell them your situation. Nothing impreses prospective employers than an eager prospective employee.

edit: START APPLYING FOR SCHOLARSHIPS AND THE LIKE NOW! You're going to need all the help possible. See if the place you're going has any programs that allow you the reciprocal of tuition.

Morpheus88
07-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Well I live in Georgia and we have the hope scholarship. If I really work my butt off this year I can qualify for it, I had really just forgot about it till now. But I will look into what you guys said.

conomara
07-07-2005, 12:24 PM
ye guys have it rough man...here in ireland you pay a small admin fee ( a few hundred euros). after that all is free, and if you still cant afford it you get a free grant of a few thousand euro which goes a long way outside of dublin. this , for any e.u members reading is the same for all e.u people, (and i think we are the only free uni system in old europe). unfortunately there are only a small number of animation courses, but there are lots of really good engineering courses.
the only down side is the academic requirements are fairly tough.

anyway good luck finding a suitable course

conor

Nerd_Pack
07-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Since this is a CG forum I'm assuming you're looking to program graphics, if you want you can always try an art school. I don't know exactly what you're looking to do but sometimes they'll have good art programming situations.

In any case, I would suggest just looking for exactly what you want on the net, seeing programs and e-mailing professors at the schools (that always helps, talking to them firsthand is a wonderful thing to do)

Good luck with your school search!

Morpheus88
07-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Yea, I am wanting to go for game programming for 3d games and things. I am really hoping to find a school near were I live, If I have to I will go away to school to learn but I am trying to stay around my area so I do not have to move to go to school.

forTe
07-10-2005, 02:34 AM
If you live in the Atlanta area, you may be well suited to go to a community college, and then transfer over to Georgia Tech, if you have the grades. Tech will accept a lot of Humanities and Language Arts type courses, but they like you to take your math and sciences there. From some of the research I've done into Tech, they have a decent program for artificial intelligence and virtual reality, which is probably what you would want as a specialty in your CS major. Just make sure your credits transfer over, and that you check with Tech admissions as to what credits they do and do not take, because there is nothing more horrible than taking Calculus 1-3 and Differential Equations twice.

Elsewhere in Georgia, there is obviously UGA, which is slightly cheaper than Tech, but you probably won't get as good a CS education there. Emory, is probably a little out of the price range for most middle class people at 42,000 dollars a year for a Bachelor of any Science. I don't know a lot about Berry college either. If you live towards West Georgia, you could try for West Georgia College, or further down in the state there is Mercer, Georgia Southern, and The Art School of Savannah. For the most part, any University in the state will have at least a decent CS major, maybe outside of the Art School of Savannah, where they might have more courses relating to Computer Science in Art.

Outside of the major colleges and universities in Georgia, I'm sure that a lot of community schools off CS as well, but obviously not at the same level as the larger schools.

Don't forget that most colleges offer financial aid to those who need it, as well as many scholarship opportunities outside of the Hope. Most will even give out so many scholarships a year that pay for full tuition, books, or boarding.

I hope this helps.

Morpheus88
07-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks for your replay forTe. I have thought about Georgia Tech, and UGA.

Im a little worried about when I get out of school about getting into a college. Since I have been in High School I have never had to take any SAT test, I took them previously in middle school but wasn't really required to at the school I am at now. Anyone know if many college's really look at SAT test? I can still probably take one for this coming year but previously grades I didn't take them.

Also the math & science courses I probably would need to do are Cal 1-3, and Physics right?

Thanks.

mummey
07-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Thanks for your replay forTe. I have thought about Georgia Tech, and UGA.

Im a little worried about when I get out of school about getting into a college. Since I have been in High School I have never had to take any SAT test, I took them previously in middle school but wasn't really required to at the school I am at now. Anyone know if many college's really look at SAT test? I can still probably take one for this coming year but previously grades I didn't take them.

Also the math & science courses I probably would need to do are Cal 1-3, and Physics right?

Thanks.

More colleges in the east look at the ACT, though some still use the SAT. I took both.

CGTalk Moderation
07-11-2005, 03:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.