PDA

View Full Version : Growing Trees and Vines....and grass

crpcory
07-06-2005, 02:17 AM
I've seen a lot of plugins for tree creation, with magic Bevel its not to hard to make them without the plug-ins (i'm going for slightly surreal looking ones anyways).

For this video i'm doing, however, i need to animate them, maybe from a really small 'sappling' into a large tree, or at least just extending and branching from an already developed tree.

Do any plugings like TreesDesigner, TreeCage, TreeGen etc. have the ability to be animated like this or know a way to do it otherwise.

something like StalkGenerator would actually be great (but i don't think its available yet)
http://www.polas.net/plugins/stalk.php

I'm using a Mac BTW too.
Thanks

Hoopti
07-06-2005, 03:20 AM
I think Kurv has a video on his site that shows how to do this. I think it's in the free tutorial area. I'm not sure that he used plugs to do it.

As far as plugs, I think TreeCage allows you to create morphs to do the growing part, and I also believe Pawel Olas' plugin does it too, but don't hold me to that last comment.

Hoop

crpcory
07-06-2005, 04:59 AM
yeah...the kurv one actually uses hypervoxels for the vines, works not too bad for that but the growing tree thing i'm still wondering about. For leaves i read about a technique using 'polygon size' to make the leaves 'dissapear' but i haven't found the plug in (or whatever it is). Anyone know of this feature or use it (alters size of polygons)

thanks

simon-s
07-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Theres a tutorial for growing vines on this site...

http://www.md-arts.com/

blaqDeaph
07-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Yea, you can download it from:

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/landscapes.htm

Look for the growing vine by Kurv Studios. Sadly you have to register, but its free.

Basically, the jist of it is to create a spline that is in the shape of the vine, then create a particle emitter that emits particles along the object vertice. Then add hypervoxels, gradients and viola, you've got a fairly good looking vine.

CB_3D
07-06-2005, 03:09 PM
For simpler stuff simply morph a tube along a distorted bonechain.

monovich
07-06-2005, 04:13 PM
when you get to the grass, sasquatch works GREAT for growing grass any way you want it and is fully animatable.

crpcory
07-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Well that is a lot of technique variation, and thinking about it right now, i can see myself using a lot of it for the video. And its looking like i can avoid buying any plugins for the time being, but we'll see. Very helpful info, thanks everyone.

As for Leaves, I assume to just use single polys with clip maps. I could have an particle emitter create those couldn't I? What would be the best way to have them 'grow' from nothing? Can you do that with gradients/particle age?

Exper
07-20-2005, 11:11 AM
You can find a different approach here:
Grow a tree with Germinator and Endomorphs (http://3drecursions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=139).

Hope it helps.

tufif
07-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Wow, that one looks really cool. I use a cartoony cell shaded look, and those sorts of trees could fit fine into my universe.

crpcory
07-21-2005, 11:49 PM
That is a good one, i think the spline or bone deformantions with the morph targets is more the look i'm going for but I think I'm going to use this for some parts still (its actually a really quick and easy method considering its free).

I'm working on a music video (can't say for which band, sorry...they want to spring it on their record label after its done). I'll start posting some work up once get past the previz stage (no band memer shots though :/).

A lot of methods to use here..thanks all.

crpcory
07-25-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm looking at a VUE Infinite demo right now, anyone ever do any 'growing' animation with it. It seems to offer a lot of stuff and the tree animation from their demo reel is pretty tight. Anyone every do something similar (plants or trees)?

CGTalk Moderation
07-25-2005, 04:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.