PDA

View Full Version : My First Game character

Mordin
07-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Hi,

I have nt been using Maya for very long and this is my first attempt at a game character. Its based on a comic book character, Mean Machine from Judge Dredd, but its my interpretation.

I have a few questions;

Can you tell me what you think of my modelling? I still have trouble knowing when and where to use triangles, I was always told to use quads- have I done this right. Does the edge flow, etc, look right? ( i have nt painted the weights in the 'Posed' image).

For the mechanical arm I have parented the objects to the joints. Would this work in a game engine?

I have only used 1601 faces/ 2912 tri s (i guess when people talk of poly count its tri s, right?). What sort of limit should I model to these days? I realise it varies from game to game so what would employers like to see?

If I was to add more geometery where should I add it? More edge loops around the legs/body for better deformation? Or more detail to the face?

More questions than I thought! If you got this far thnx, and tell me what you think.

Mordin
07-05-2005, 03:54 PM
And 3 More images added!All comments welcome!

Por@szek
07-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Hi

I'm not some master at characters creating, but I think for a first try its verrryy gooood. Keep it on. The idea is also cool, and I think its a big part of atractiveness.

I'll try to answer few of Your questions.
Polycount its tris - yes. Becouse game engines calculate only tris, every poly is changed to tri. Using of polies , limit , depends of what kind of game is it. I prefer maximum optimized objects. I think that You can always create more poligonal objects . harder is really low poly. Anyway You must know that in rts polycount is different than in fpp game. And also for ps3 and pc also different. You have in here is good. Of course You can make him more attractive creating normal maps, so then it won't need so many polies.

If You want to add more detail, you must think a lot. Edge loops could be good choice with combination of more details. Some times simple box can give a lot of atractiveness, becouse 70% of good model is a texture. Even so little polies with high res, and good made texture can make it outstanding.

I hope I help You a bit.

Take care man.

Wayne Adams
07-05-2005, 07:59 PM
great for a first game character, but where's his other arm? decapitated limbs are cool, but if it is gone why doesn't he have a second mechanical arm?

keep it up

Mordin
07-05-2005, 11:43 PM
Thanx for the replies.

The character is Mean machine from Judge Dredd (the comic, not the lame Stallone film). He only has one arm, and I dont know why he never had another attached. While making him I was thinking the same thing.
I cant seem to find a decent picture of him showing his armless state, so the one from the film will have to do.:) (all the other pics seem to show him from the right side).

I am attempting to model Dredd. I was told that modeling famous characters was a good idea because they can see if you have captured the likeness or not.

tomorrow
07-05-2005, 11:44 PM
for a first char its really nice. The claw is cool. One thing you might want to think about is distribution of polygons. You have put tons of detail into the face and claw, but minimal on the rest of the body, making them look likethey are from two different characters

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2005, 11:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.