PDA

View Full Version : Which Camera

TheEdge
07-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Im getting tired of my old single ccd panasonic Mini DV camera and editing with premiere. I am considering buying a new one which I can then use for green screen work too. I was looking at the Canon GL2, XL2 and the Panasonic AG-DVX100, AG-DVC30, and I saw this the sony hdr-fx1. Which of these would you recommend? Why can I upgrade to the HDR?

Jeepy
07-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Im getting tired of my old single ccd panasonic Mini DV camera and editing with premiere. I am considering buying a new one which I can then use for green screen work too. I was looking at the Canon GL2, XL2 and the Panasonic AG-DVX100, AG-DVC30, and I saw this the sony hdr-fx1. Which of these would you recommend? Why can I upgrade to the HDR?

I recently worked with the AG-DVX100 and it's a hell of a camera. I was able to achived incredible with balance with it, which, in my opinion we are not able to get with the Canon, either the GL2 or the XL2. But I have to admit I can't wait to try the hdr-fx1. :drool:

Cheers!

Matty2Phatty
07-06-2005, 06:52 PM
For some reason, camera quality seems to be subjective, and a surefire way to get flamed.

I use an XL2 and it is great, but you're still shooting at DV resolution, which may be fine for what you're after, but it will be dated pretty quick, so be careful.

HDV is not true HD so be careful with that too...

Fact is, the consumer/prosumer market is still pretty crappy in the broad scheme of things...

Also, apparently there are cameras just as good as the XL2 for half the price.

TheEdge
07-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Yeah I know I may get flamed but Im not trying to make this a discussion about the best camera, its more for me what I should look at in terms of price, quality, and for shooting independent movies.

I use an XL2 and it is great, but you're still shooting at DV resolution, which may be fine for what you're after, but it will be dated pretty quick, so be careful.

HDV is not true HD so be careful with that too...

Also, apparently there are cameras just as good as the XL2 for half the price.

These 3 comments caught my attention. You think DV is going to become a dated technology in 2006? Also HDV is still DV tapes right? Doesnt that make it hard to edit, use greenscreens, and can you shoot in 24p mode? Finally 1/2 the price of XL2??...please recommend.

StuntMan
07-08-2005, 06:01 PM
So which is the greater....

Panasonic AG-DVX100A

or

Sony HDR-FX1

?

curious_69_george
07-08-2005, 06:26 PM

Panasonic AG-DVX100A

or

Sony HDR-FX1

?

The Panasonic has native progressive CCD's, where as the Sony has interlaced, which could prove to be an issue with effects work. You are always better working with progessive when the option is there. Also the Sony uses Mpeg2 compression on the footage, which is an issue I don't like.

The HVX200 will be the king dog of camera's, but at a price.

Just my 2 cents

marchermann
07-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Panasonic AG-DVX100A
or
Sony HDR-FX1?
http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/shoot3/

Marc

CGTalk Moderation
07-11-2005, 04:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.