PDA

View Full Version : CgTalk:FXWars! CARCRASH Challenge VOTE!:6

RobertoOrtiz
07-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Ok I have picked the winners
based on a POPULAR vote and a GUEST JUDGE (at the end of this message)

WANNA JOIN THE NEXT FXWARS CHALLENGE? CHECK US OUT NEXT WEEK WHEN WE WILL POST THE RULES! IF YOU WANT TO JOIN A TEAM JUST POST HERE:

THE BIG FREEZE SIGNUP LIST: Post here those who are looking for partners/teams (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=256840)

Lets see the current winners

POPULAR VOTING

Best Animation
ivanisavich !
http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/ivan_crash.jpg

Animation: http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/ivan_crash.avi (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/ivan_crash.avi) (14mb, DivX)

Alternative Animation Download:
(A quicktime version is here: )
http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animat.../ivan_crash.mov (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/ivan_crash.mov)

Thread: http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=244738 (http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=244738)

And in the voting cathegories;

A SWEEP!

Best Editing(NEW!): Blasphemy3_d Best Visual Effects (NEW!): Blasphemy3_d Best Overall Entry: Blasphemy3_d
Best Simulation: Blasphemy3_d

AND THE winner!
http://66.242.144.2/cupFX.gif
Best Overall ENTRY!:
http://www.3dblasphemy.com/TEST_3.jpg

Blasphemy3_d!
Animation: http://www.3dblasphemy.com/CARCRASH.mov (http://www.3dblasphemy.com/CARCRASH.mov) (Quicktime 23mb)

Thread: FXWars! CarCrash! 3DBLASPHEMY (REALISTIC) (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=242576)

And I fell that it would be cool to have industry pros come here and give us their input.
So people lets say hi to Jonathan Anderson.

GUEST JUDGE:
Jonathan Anderson Forensic animator

Jon is an experienced litigation animator in the field of accident reconstruction, product liability and patent dispute since 1996. His work ranges from 2d illustration to 3d animation and compositing. Case studies have included the Texas A&M Bonfire collapse as well as major manufacturers involved in litigation such as KIA, Suzuki, Ford, Yokohama and NEC.

Here are his pics and why:

Best Simulation: loran
Best Animation: ivanisavich
Best Editing: ivanisavich
Best Visual Effects: Blasphemy3_d
Best Over All Entry: Blasphemy3_d

Best Simulation: Loran
http://laurent.renaud.free.fr/fxwars/crash.jpg

Animation: http://laurent.renaud.free.fr/fxwars/loran_FXWARS%28640x480%29.mov (http://laurent.renaud.free.fr/fxwars/loran_FXWARS(640x480).mov) (sorenson 640x480)
I felt the motion was believable. The crush was well modeled and the timing was believable. There is excellent attention to detail such as the tire turns, suspension motion and the secondary animation. The movement of the parts such as the hood, quarter panels, bumper and air dam really add to the realism. The lighting textures were very well done as well. The scene felt like a vehicle driving on a wet surface and in wet conditions. The only thing I would consider adding might be an engine and broken glass similar to the CARCRASH and ivan_crash movie. Some smoke or steam after the collision would be a nice touch as well. The latter suggestions are only aesthetic, not relevant to the simulation.

This was a toss up between this movie and CARCRASH. Since I gave Best Over All Entry to Blasphemy3_d, I leaned towards this movie for animation. The robot was a little distracting, but the whole scenario was pretty cool. I was impressed with the vehicle crush and secondary motion.

Again, this was a toss up between this movie and Blasphemy3_dís CARCRASH. The different camera angles, positions and focus were well integrated. The sound was awesome. Everything from ambience noise to engine and other mechanical sounds really adds weight and draws you into the piece.

This animation had a nice gritty feel to it. The lighting and lighting effects were superb. On first run, I did not find anything distracting or obviously inaccurate. I believe the quality of effects created a realistic and believable movie. The sun glare and washout through the bridge was nice. The sun reflections, glares and highlights moving across the metal were incredible. My favorites were over the quarter panel and chrome wipers. Even the lens flares were used sparingly enough not to be distracting. The timing and actual look of the sparks during the sideswipe with the wall was sweet. Having it occur in a dark shadow really helped it pop. Motion blurs and camera depth of field were tight. Smoke and dust was perfect. Blasphemy3_d and ivanisavich created awesome broken/fractured glass.

This was another toss up between this movie and ivanisavichís movie. The integration of everything in this piece from sound effects, music, visual effects and animation made this a clear overall entry for me.

I also had our VAR (vehicle accident reconstruction) engineers watch these movies. They loved them and want to know when I am going to start creating this quality! Seriously, these 3 movies had the best motion as far as vehicle dynamics. They also like mJRís motion and crash sequence. They commented about the doors flying open as a little much and the pirouette at the end was a little extreme. However, they also stated that vehicle accidents are chaotic and almost anything can happen. As in several cases of CG, sometimes reality just isnít believable as a cg rendering.

A few of the movies I could not give a fair shake due to compression issues or whatever caused playback problems.

Criticisms: Vehicles do not come to a sudden stop without at least some secondary motion. For instance, slight rocking, suspension settling, parts still in motion. Glass does not explode into tiny little pieces. Blasphmey3_d and ivanisavich displayed great technique for windshield and glass break. Remember, the glass is designed for safety and will break in a manner that is less detrimental to the occupants. Personally, I have rolled 3 vehicles one of which was a 60 mph+. Some pieces of glass did fly through the air and stick to me, but the overall windshield and glass held together.

I look forward to the quality of these movies as inspiration to the field of litigation and accident reconstruction. Right now, visual realism is still a little shunned, but we are slowly reaching that point. Especially with the audience of today expecting more and more due to the achievements of todayís artists. As long as the motion can be justified by scientific measure, the sizzle should be as hot as our clients can afford.

Well that is it... Until the next challenge

-Roberto

jigu
07-05-2005, 04:02 PM
well roberto is there anyway can we know that who has got how many votes?

or who is ahead in voting process?and on which position we r in voting process?:)

RobertoOrtiz
07-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Sorry, I cant post that.

The reason is that it might influence the vote.

-R

Mathew Everett
07-05-2005, 04:16 PM
I believe all entries are great in their own aspect, but the 2 animators that just impressed the hell out me in this was.

ivanisavich

Blasphemy3_d

I loved the Robot chasing down the car, it added a little fiction to the whole thing, rather than 2 cars crashing.....

&

The Old Muscle cars are awesome, Great detail on the cars, and I loved the roll!

Great job guys

Kwago
07-05-2005, 04:34 PM
entry #7 is simply amazing

Rookz
07-05-2005, 04:55 PM
#7 hands down

mustan9
07-05-2005, 05:42 PM
This is amazing!

I joined CGTalk just when this contest was starting, and I thought to myself "I won't enter, because the topic is just to hard".

Everyone did an amazing job!

I'm also impressed by the wide range of skills demonstrated by all entries.

entry #2:

This was amazing! I enjoyed the style, action, and editing. This is the kind of entry I was hoping to see, and was very well done. The running bot was amazing! The hammer bunch that flips the car was amazing! Great job!

entry #5

You key framed all the animation, and that's amazing. Great job!

entry #7

Over all winner. No question about that. Amazing work! The image quality is great. The only entry that used GI. You solved one of the biggest problems with this contest. How to do a realistic crash without getting deep into a simulation. Flipping the car, and then changing the details with each rotation was an amazing idea. It's so simple and pulled off so well. Great job. Your a smart guy!

entry #8

This is by far the best simulation in the contest. The only thing is this simulation has a "software" feel to it. It lacks that big crash touch that an artist can give. This is my problem with this kind of contest. The artist against the software tech guys, because you could easily win for most realistic simulation.

I'm impressed that these many people entired this contest. It was a hard topic, and I can't wait for the next contest. I'm going to entire that one, but I'm not sure I'd win given the skill levels on this board.

Good like guys!

Sollesnes
07-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Different ones was good in their own aspects, but Entry #7 - Blasphemy3_d had the best overall imo. But as said, severeal good ones here. :)

SheepFactory
07-05-2005, 05:57 PM
I have to say #7 is lightyears ahead of the competition. Good job Blasphemy 3d.

Miezis
07-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Entry #2 by: ivanisavich - BEST ENTRY EVER!
love the style, editing and that awesome robot!

Junkdata
07-05-2005, 06:00 PM
number 2 is amazing! that cool robot and all!!!

ivanisavich
07-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Great job to everyone who finished! It was quite a tough challenge :)

Congrats to blasphemy_3d for his insane lighting, as well as michaelJR and Laeng (even though Laeng didn't get a chance to enter) for the effort they put into R&D.

And thanks for using my pic as the thumbnail for the voting thread Roberto! Hehe...even though blasphemy is clearly going to win, I still got on the frontpage!!! :D

HellBoy
07-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Hiya

I vote for Entry #2 by: ivanisavich
Overall: 10/10

great VFX

RobertoOrtiz
07-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Guys just reminder, you can post here , but the real vote is on the voting page that you can go to bli clicking >> HERE<< (http://kvaalen.com/cgtalk/fxwars)

-R

Adriano-Zanetti
07-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Pity, my vote got lost, didn't get it that I had to check the options on the side... not so obvious to me. I clicked "vote" thinking I'd be redirected to a page where I could simply choose among the participants... so in the end none's getting any credits from me, oops.

Anyway, Entry Number 2 from Ivanisavic is simply the best, dunno if there's any simulation, seems to me all keyframed, but it's awesome, good cams, great animation, dynamic and rythm is perfect, I really liked it.

pe@ce

Adriano

Headless
07-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Awesome stuff on all accounts.

Since 'effects' (as in 'particle effects'), already has it's own category (Simulation), i'll assume "Visual Effects" refers to lighting, rendering, and any comp/post work, in which case my vote for that went to Blasphemy3_d's astounding piece. I think everything else though has to go to ivanisavich's entry, which is just awesome pretty much across the board.

michaeljr
07-05-2005, 11:48 PM
I took "Simulation" as things more to do with dynamics, hard/softbodies, solvers, and cloth, rigging car parts to be simulated rather than hand animated, where as Particles were more a Visual Effect because some can be done quickly in post say with combustion or ae..

I guess I took the rules to literally for Realistic, Fantasy, and Hybrid Entries.

:) "entry #8

This is by far the best simulation in the contest. The only thing is this simulation has a "software" feel to it. "

thanks mustan9 I think what it is lacking, that artistic feel you mentioned is motion blur, camera movement, sets, lighting / texs, and particles. particles is something that I wanted to get in, but ran out of time, all the dirt clouds would really help sell that it hit hard enough to rip up the concrete. I will finish it soon..

I'm going to post some screen shots to show some of the rigs and stuff, maybe help on the simulation votes...

can't wait for the next challenge.... I want to break out the greenscreen.... all thought the idea of wearing winter jackets and gloves in the 90 degree weather outside doesn't sound to appealing. need a willing stooge, I mean partner to help :twisted:

good luck all, love the work from ivanisavich and Blasphemy3_d

otacon
07-06-2005, 02:46 AM
Entry 7 by 3dblasphemy is truly inspirational.

Rat~Queen
07-06-2005, 02:53 AM
Entry number 7 is definantly top overall. Haha... the dirt particles are actually black arrows...

formoso
07-06-2005, 02:58 AM
entry #2 got my vote but not because of the animation. the flip looks great as well as the image quality/modelling/rendering but the car hitting the other causeing it to rock like that just looked absolutely fake b/c of the animation. this part is worth reanimating cuz the rest is so good. great work overall everyone.

formoso
07-06-2005, 03:05 AM
entry #2 editing for sure, entry #8 for simulation. everything looks great on that except for 2 things i think the actual hit which causes the flip has an weird pop and doesnt make perfect sense but the follow through really is very good. the second thing is at some point a door/doors should fly off if being so mangled like that.

jigu
07-06-2005, 03:42 AM
can u people plz crit where my work totally sucks? it will help to improve me a lot.

well i myself found some weakpoints in to my work.

1.patient.i don;t have it.i know i can atleast make realistic set.but i didn;t take full time of contest.and finished my entry before all guys.

2. i finshed entry in 15 days. it;s not good idea to finish fast.i know some guys crits my work.but i didn;t work on it.and didn;'t revisited my work. i had still 15 days left after finishing my entry but i didn;t work on it.

3. i worked so fast. i almost forgot to take a look at reference of car crash.

if u ppl have any crits where i did some mistake it is most welcome.

as it is gonna help me a lot to improve my work.

i personally welcome blasphemy,ivanisevich and michaljr or any guy to crit my work.

Congrates Blasphemy and ivanisevich!! and ofcourse michaljr for best simulation.

now ivanisavich and michaljr it's time to show how did u do that simulation using reactor cloth.now contest is over.it;s time for tutorial.u both promised on it.:)

thank you,
jigu.

michaeljr
07-06-2005, 05:33 AM
ok I posted a critique for ya... did I spell that right? probably not, very tired.

jigu
07-06-2005, 05:56 AM
ok I posted a critique for ya... did I spell that right? probably not, very tired.

thanks for crits.it helps me a lot to improve my work better.and yes i had fun with this contest.
and i m here to learn a lot.

Cyborgguineapig
07-06-2005, 06:45 AM
I voted #7 overall best but frame by frame there is a part right where the white car hits the black one where the white car accidently merges into the black car at its rear but thats a minor crit for an awsome job. #2 is a runner up and the one with the white car flipping from off a small ramp is my third runner up.

diaboliq
07-06-2005, 07:02 AM
I'm watching the FXWars forum for a while now, and i must say there sure is talent in here :buttrock: . I think i may join one of the next wars.
For me the best ones are 2,5 and 7 but all for different reasons.
So now i'm gonna think for a while who to vote one :D

Joblh
07-06-2005, 08:29 AM
2, 5 and 7 were absolutly the best!

#5 was extremely realistic but boring
#2, was just a little bit less realistic but, extremely good action, camera movement, editing etc.!
and #7 is both 2 AND 5 ;)

MrPositive
07-06-2005, 09:36 AM
#7 is completely sick........is the background cg or a matte plate?......either way it's amazing. #2 is also out of this world. I never expected this kind of quality. I also want to give props to the rest of the contestants for competing.......your guys rock!

Rikkimaru
07-06-2005, 12:21 PM
I would day number 2 and number 7 are the best entrys!

@ Tyson: I would say it improved a lot Tyson, Carcrash_04 was still amazing but this is far better ;)

P.S.: Get a Life!

;)

Rikkimaru
07-06-2005, 12:31 PM
I voted not correct. I thought i have to fill out the sheet for one person and then for the next person, so i cant vote anymore for Tysons entry! It would be nice if anyone could change that! Best Animation and best overall entry for Tyson!

_david
07-06-2005, 01:45 PM
blasphemy 3d is absolutetely photorealistic, but the slide with the skidmarks (something about the physics feels wrong).
awesome work!

Roux
07-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Wow. Congrats to Blasphemy3_d and ivanisavich. They are amazing entries.

I would love to have just an ounce of that special "something" you guys have.

I thought all of the entries had some really strong points and it has been fun trying to turn this into something.

Does anyone have any comments for me? I'm curious to know what it is missing, what is wrong what could be better. I can see a million and one things that I don't like but would love to know peoples thoughts particularly since animation is a pretty new area for me.

el_diablo
07-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Ooooooowwwww...Awesome entries, all of them! Wish i had the time to write what i like about every one of them. Top level animations here people, and to do this in home edition (not for a paying project) just awes me. I'll try and joind for the 'big freeze'. Since i have an 'icy' vfx project for September, this will be a really good burn in.

TheAnarchitect
07-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Blasphemy3_d shouldn't be in the "challenge". he has used a camera and actually filmed all the action. i wonder why he closed a motorway and ruined a good car to win such a challenge.

besides the "kidding", i gasped while watching the animation.

4 thumbs* up!! for Blasphemy3_d : #7

* toes included

Remi
07-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Very nice entries from all...congrats to everyone that finished. I won't say whom I voted for...but just that I was impressed by more than one. Great stuff:)

Neejoh
07-06-2005, 06:50 PM
IMO ivanisavich won by a mile or so :) Really great concept, and very good modelling.

kumodot
07-07-2005, 01:05 AM
3DBlasfemy (#7 ) has the most stunning visual, rendering, and jaw dropping entry of this contest. Its screaming real, shaders, and everything is very nice. I like it a lot.
But i don't think it's the most realistic Car crash of this contest. The "render look" isn't vote, i guess. But this entry is one of the winners for sure. So love, and a great enfort to do something nice, fun and at the same time impressive and with a high tech level.
You guys rocks !

The #2 is has the best action for me, the camera and edition is the best. Very tight and straight action line, a very well defined sequences. If it has the best and realistic look (rendering), this could be considered by me the perfect entry.

The same for Number 7. A little more camera work, and animation work, will put this entry at the top.

All the entries looks fantastic. ! I am download everything and looking at each one. :) Nice to see so great animators doing astonish peaces of car crash action. :)
Hours and hours of Burnout 3 playing to get references...lol...

BloodHo
07-07-2005, 06:56 AM
I voted michaeljr's work for best simulation and animation. I really loved how the car got smashed, it was very accurate. Maybe you could put some textures, particles and other visualization to it when you got time because then it would be awesome clip for demo reel. And maybe now you could reveal some secrets how you did it http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Blasphemy_3D did great job with overall simulation, animating, editing and vfx. Also great lightning, modelling and you choose awesome car for that scene. You got my vote for best visual effects and overall entry http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Ivanisavich had very different kind of animation than everyone else and it worked just great. You also had good animation and great editing. I got this movie feeling from your animation. You got my vote for best editing http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

It was damn hard to vote because lot's of good entries. I wanted to give some credits to Loran also because of nice keyframing.

Everyone did great job, congrats to all http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

sergioKomic
07-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Does anyone have any comments for me? I'm curious to know what it is missing, what is wrong what could be better. I can see a million and one things that I don't like but would love to know peoples thoughts particularly since animation is a pretty new area for me.

A bit more work in the Directing department..... and the editing should be a bit faster paced. (IMHO) nice entry nevertheless!

Gangstashers
07-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Hey guys!

During this challange i've been only watching 2 threadhs evrey day.

That was ivanisavich, and Blasphemy

I must say i was realy impressed by Blasphemy! he has like the realistic feel and look! I dident belive it was all CG to be honest! i taught he just whent outside with his HD camera and recorderd the whole thing! But once again totaly amazing!

ivanisavich, i realy loved folowoing your thread! It was realy fun! and your website rocks! you realy impressed me with your robot and evreything the sound effects evything was just amazing!

So i voted for ivanisavich because it realy impressed me all the way! i was a real car crash fanatsy! and evrything was just realy good! sound effects! editing! animation! evrything was done verry wel!

Good luck!

Sheherryar

Roux
07-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Thank you sergioKomic. I can see what you mean now.

Any other comments are appreciated.

Can anyone help me with hosting the video? I seem to have chewed up a month's worth of bandwidth in less than a day:eek: and my web host is threatening to cut me off completely.

I never anticipated 30GB in a day.

Roberto, can the anim URL be changed at this stage?

Edit: Sorry guys, I've had to pull the downloads for now. I am just setting up a rapidshare download and will post a link for anyone that would like to download the video.

Hi guys. I have put the file up on rapid share. Here is the link for the QT6 file:
http://rapidshare.de/files/2870854/DeonRouxFXWars560x400.mov.html

jigu
07-07-2005, 01:28 PM
I never anticipated 30GB in a day.

Roberto, can the anim URL be changed at this stage?

Edit: Sorry guys, I've had to pull the downloads for now. I am just setting up a rapidshare download and will post a link for anyone that would like to download the video.

i have got same problem. i pm roberto to delete animation url.my account has been closed.becoz i hosted on my brother;s client server.

Roux
07-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Hey jig. You might want to upload to http://dl2.rapidshare.de/Its free and doesn't require registration.

jigu
07-07-2005, 01:45 PM
i know that i should upload there.

RobertoOrtiz
07-07-2005, 02:00 PM
How about google video?

-R

RobertoOrtiz
07-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Ok I have picked the winners
based on a POPULAR vote and a GUEST JUDGE (at the end of this message)

WANNA JOIN THE NEXT FXWARS CHALLENGE? CHECK US OUT NEXT WEEK WHEN WE WILL POST THE RULES! IF YOU WANT TO JOIN A TEAM JUST POST HERE:

THE BIG FREEZE SIGNUP LIST: Post here those who are looking for partners/teams (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=256840)

Lets see the current winners

POPULAR VOTING

Best Animation
ivanisavich !
http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/ivan_crash.jpg

Animation: http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/ivan_crash.avi (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/ivan_crash.avi) (14mb, DivX)

Alternative Animation Download:
(A quicktime version is here: )
http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animat.../ivan_crash.mov (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Crash/ivan_crash.mov)

Thread: http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=244738 (http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=244738)

And in the voting cathegories;

A SWEEP!

Best Editing(NEW!): Blasphemy3_d Best Visual Effects (NEW!): Blasphemy3_d Best Overall Entry: Blasphemy3_d
Best Simulation: Blasphemy3_d

AND THE winner!
http://66.242.144.2/cupFX.gif
Best Overall ENTRY!:
http://www.3dblasphemy.com/TEST_3.jpg

Blasphemy3_d!
Animation: http://www.3dblasphemy.com/CARCRASH.mov (http://www.3dblasphemy.com/CARCRASH.mov) (Quicktime 23mb)

Thread: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=221320 (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=221320)

And I fell that it would be cool to have industry pros come here and give us their input.
So people lets say hi to Jonathan Anderson.

GUEST JUDGE:
Jonathan Anderson Forensic animator

Jon is an experienced litigation animator in the field of accident reconstruction, product liability and patent dispute since 1996. His work ranges from 2d illustration to 3d animation and compositing. Case studies have included the Texas A&M Bonfire collapse as well as major manufacturers involved in litigation such as KIA, Suzuki, Ford, Yokohama and NEC.

Here are his pics and why:

Best Simulation: loran
Best Over All Entry: Blasphemy3_d

Best Simulation: Loran
http://laurent.renaud.free.fr/fxwars/crash.jpg

Animation: http://laurent.renaud.free.fr/fxwars/loran_FXWARS%28640x480%29.mov (http://laurent.renaud.free.fr/fxwars/loran_FXWARS(640x480).mov) (sorenson 640x480)
I felt the motion was believable. The crush was well modeled and the timing was believable. There is excellent attention to detail such as the tire turns, suspension motion and the secondary animation. The movement of the parts such as the hood, quarter panels, bumper and air dam really add to the realism. The lighting textures were very well done as well. The scene felt like a vehicle driving on a wet surface and in wet conditions. The only thing I would consider adding might be an engine and broken glass similar to the CARCRASH and ivan_crash movie. Some smoke or steam after the collision would be a nice touch as well. The latter suggestions are only aesthetic, not relevant to the simulation.

This was a toss up between this movie and CARCRASH. Since I gave Best Over All Entry to Blasphemy3_d, I leaned towards this movie for animation. The robot was a little distracting, but the whole scenario was pretty cool. I was impressed with the vehicle crush and secondary motion.

Again, this was a toss up between this movie and Blasphemy3_dís CARCRASH. The different camera angles, positions and focus were well integrated. The sound was awesome. Everything from ambience noise to engine and other mechanical sounds really adds weight and draws you into the piece.

This animation had a nice gritty feel to it. The lighting and lighting effects were superb. On first run, I did not find anything distracting or obviously inaccurate. I believe the quality of effects created a realistic and believable movie. The sun glare and washout through the bridge was nice. The sun reflections, glares and highlights moving across the metal were incredible. My favorites were over the quarter panel and chrome wipers. Even the lens flares were used sparingly enough not to be distracting. The timing and actual look of the sparks during the sideswipe with the wall was sweet. Having it occur in a dark shadow really helped it pop. Motion blurs and camera depth of field were tight. Smoke and dust was perfect. Blasphemy3_d and ivanisavich created awesome broken/fractured glass.

This was another toss up between this movie and ivanisavichís movie. The integration of everything in this piece from sound effects, music, visual effects and animation made this a clear overall entry for me.

I also had our VAR (vehicle accident reconstruction) engineers watch these movies. They loved them and want to know when I am going to start creating this quality! Seriously, these 3 movies had the best motion as far as vehicle dynamics. They also like mJRís motion and crash sequence. They commented about the doors flying open as a little much and the pirouette at the end was a little extreme. However, they also stated that vehicle accidents are chaotic and almost anything can happen. As in several cases of CG, sometimes reality just isnít believable as a cg rendering.

A few of the movies I could not give a fair shake due to compression issues or whatever caused playback problems.

Criticisms: Vehicles do not come to a sudden stop without at least some secondary motion. For instance, slight rocking, suspension settling, parts still in motion. Glass does not explode into tiny little pieces. Blasphmey3_d and ivanisavich displayed great technique for windshield and glass break. Remember, the glass is designed for safety and will break in a manner that is less detrimental to the occupants. Personally, I have rolled 3 vehicles one of which was a 60 mph+. Some pieces of glass did fly through the air and stick to me, but the overall windshield and glass held together.

I look forward to the quality of these movies as inspiration to the field of litigation and accident reconstruction. Right now, visual realism is still a little shunned, but we are slowly reaching that point. Especially with the audience of today expecting more and more due to the achievements of todayís artists. As long as the motion can be justified by scientific measure, the sizzle should be as hot as our clients can afford.

Well that is it... Until the next challenge

-Roberto

sergioKomic
07-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Okay as voted by me here goes:

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/8504/cupmod8dh.gif

Roberto Ortiz.....

ashakarc
07-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Congrats to all. Ivanisavich is a truly talented animator, I have never seen anyone with this huge talent and at this very young age.
---
Roberto, the cup design is ; hmm :argh: . I wish you guys could replace it with a good looking trophy that matches the entries..just a suggestion. If not possible, at least change the handles to a handle not a fingerdle ;)

ivanisavich
07-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Congrats blasphemy! A truly deserved win!

Also...great job to all the other artists for entering!

Squibbit
07-08-2005, 05:44 PM
wow, I'm stunned ,so cool stuff there, especially the winning clip with all the cool
sounds, animation, well, everything, good job , people :thumbsup:

jigu
07-08-2005, 05:57 PM
congrates blasphemy and ivan.

michaeljr
07-08-2005, 06:49 PM
>They also like mJRís motion and crash sequence. They commented about the doors flying open as a little much and the pirouette at the end was a little extreme.

I thought I would post the actual crash test footage I used for reference to show people what I was going after.

Reference Footage Quicktime 3 megs (http://www.mjrworld.com/fxwars/mJR_reference.mov)

Since this is an older car, that I didn't recognize, I had to take guesses at it's weight and length to determine it's speed. also since the camera is moving and really far away, that also caused problems in getting the speed down. I think it was 45mph. so I used that to base the distance my car moved from one end to another then used the time to reference where things should happen. then it was a lot of tweaking and dynamic simulations to get the parts to moving and crushing when the needed to.

The reason I opened the doors is because I though it gave a little more "pop" to the wreck, but I guess I should have stuck with the doors locked and kept it realistic. I guess instead of 100 hours of animation I should have spent 90 hours of animation and 10 hours rendering with GI......

syndrome
07-08-2005, 06:58 PM
blasphemy 3D! amazing work
love the grunge style with the whole scene :D

XLNT-3d
07-08-2005, 07:15 PM
michaeljr that video just goes to prove that anything can happen in an accident. Also, that sometimes real life occurances do not always look believable in CG. The doors may have thrown it off a bit. Maybe if they just came open some and then closed again or something at the end. We have worked on several accidents that have resulted in occupant ejections. Usually because they were not wearing a seatbelt and flew out the windows or open doors.

We just recently had a case where a witness claimed that a Ford F250 did pirouette across an intersection after t-boning a car. We didn't end up doing that for several reasons. However, it did happen to my sister-in-law's minivan in real life. We have a test track in Columbus Ohio we use for vehicle testing. Some of our engineers are also performance test track drivers. Sometimes when the sim software says a vehicle should do something like a roll, our actual test using the same input will not roll.

michaeljr
07-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Ya, the doors were an issue. some felt they should have ripped off, but the dynamic HINGES that control the door's movement keep just ripping right off the bat and I was running out of time to keep calculating new solutions.

So I think I just let them stay on. all that motion was controled by dynamics, the problem is that there is no built in feature to tell the door that the locks have failed and then to swing open. there is just friction, I guess thinking about it I could have created some king of impact switch, mechanical that was tied to door and frame. then when the door hit the ground the switch could say, ok enough force was applied and now that piece of geometry should move thus allowing the doors to swing open.

But it's all guess work as to what is required to BREAK a lock on a door in a car. I couldn't find any stats on stuff like that, what the force is or if a lock will even open without something peeling the door back.

Thanks though, appreciate the feedback, I think I may go re rig the car and see if I can get them to act a little more behaved without having to bake the animation and fix it by hand.

loocas
07-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Congrats to all who've finished their anims and mainly to the winners! Very well deserved! :thumbsup:

big 3d
07-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Really Cool Stuff

I Like The First One

Fleury3D
07-08-2005, 11:40 PM
WOnderfull entries!!

ivanisavich

Blasphemy3_d

You are "five stars" artists!!!

blasphemy3_d
07-09-2005, 12:31 AM
EY HI ALL!

First of all I want to say Thanks to everyone has joined this challenge. Thanks to Roberto for great mod and extra time. Thanks to people who has helped me by simply joining the challenge and telling what they thought. I have enjoyed and learnt a lot of thing. I know it because If I had to start it again I would make a lot of things in different way I have done.

I voted Loran as best simulation like Jonathan Anderson, one true expert. Thanks Jonathan for coments :)

Once again thanks. You all have done a great work simply by entering!.

dBUTT
07-09-2005, 01:33 AM
:applause: Way to go Blasphemy3_d... definitely my pick!!! congrats, keep up the awsome work and keeping the rest of us jealous! :applause:

CONGRATS!!! :buttrock:

Roux
07-09-2005, 01:54 AM
Congratulations guys. No surprises in the result for me. You are all truely deserving winners.

It has been great for me to make a leap from still frames to animation and watching your progress has been really informative. I have really enjoyed being in ths challenge and hope to reach a level similar to that of the winners in the near future.

The first challenge for me was to actually get it done in time. I have learned (mainly from my mistakes) and have made note of the things I shouldn't try in future. This is also the longest single animation I have ever created without getting bored or moving on becuase it looked totally Cr*p and I am now encouraged to continue practicing animation, editing etc.

Thank you to Roberto for all the effort that goes into modding a forum like this.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Para
07-09-2005, 11:23 AM
FYI the thread link for blasphemy_3d's entry is wrong, it should be http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=242576

azloha
07-09-2005, 11:31 AM
should there be a thread for sharing the making and the secrets of making the animation?

i think so...............:thumbsup:

Naseem
07-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Iím just amazed watching these awesome talented animators in work :P

I may participate if I get to be that good ^_^.

Just noticed that Blasphemy3_d! crash movie has an odd thing ! checkout CARCRASH.mov at 00:00:19 u will see the driverís head is overlapping :S well its nothing, but I notice these things cos I like to run the animation frame by frame.

Ultemate
07-10-2005, 02:56 PM
ivanisavich, Blasphemy3_d I can't stop watching your videos.:)

Blasphemy3_d
What with driver? Alive? :)

blasphemy3_d
07-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Sure!
http://www.3dblasphemy.com/JJ2.JPG

Thaks for the coments :)

loran
07-11-2005, 12:37 PM
wooooww men!! Thanks for the result!! I m surprise to be selected cause my entry is not really finished as I said. I base my animation on real crash test video from the web.I would love to add more chunks flying true the air and smoke and details and details and... details. But I missed time. I first create a basic boxes rigid bodies simulation with 3dsmax reactor and I match my car animation on this. I add secondary motion after that.
Best thanks for the result men :)

Balsphemy your animation is amazing ! Render prove again the Vray realisic potential (in your thread I first believe the 2 bridges pictures were real pictures 8X !). Great works

olijosman
07-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Damn...congratulations mr Blasphemy.Incredible...:thumbsup:

Error500
09-12-2005, 06:48 AM
see on site http://konstb.nm.ru/

CGTalk Moderation
09-12-2005, 06:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.