PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8 scanline?

Caine607
07-05-2005, 09:12 AM
Is it possible to still turn Lightwave 8 into a scanline renderer?

ThirdEye
07-05-2005, 09:21 AM
Since Lw is a scanline/raytracing hybrid (i guess it is, the majority of the modern renderers are hybrids) just don't render anything involving reflections/refractions and you're done.

Caine607
07-05-2005, 09:34 AM
Ok but I remember in 7.5 u could do that trick where u put a transparent polygon in front of the camera turn on raytracing transparency and Lightwave would render as a scnline renderer.

But...I recently tried in 8 and, no dice!

DickBoot
07-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Ok but I remember in 7.5 u could do that trick where u put a transparent polygon in front of the camera turn on raytracing transparency and Lightwave would render as a scnline renderer.

But...I recently tried in 8 and, no dice!

http://www.funnyfarm.tv/rendertrick.htm
this is the trick you talking about? it is still working (LW 8.3)
raytrace transparancy must be turned on!

did a quick test: raytrace reflection, shadows and transparancy ON
normal = 414.2 seconds
one polygon = 302.9 seconds
one divided polygon = 308.5 seconds
looks like the one polygon solution works best

Caine607
07-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks alot!
Much appreciated...Dickboot!
Mayb I screwed up or I have to look forward to another upgrade.

pixym
07-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi

I have made a test with with trick on an architectural external scene with more than a Million polygons.
I have activate/de-activate radio, use one plane/16 planes, extra raytrace optimization on/off etc...
My result shows me that the rendering is SLOWER with this trick than without...
from 10 to 25% :hmm:

DickBoot
07-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks alot!
Much appreciated...Dickboot!
Mayb I screwed up or I have to look forward to another upgrade.

well, just try it..;)...btw, you've got your signature backwards..;)

Para
07-05-2005, 02:50 PM
If you can't live with incorrect rendering, don't try that plane/scanline/bucket renderer trick at all.

What it actually does is that the first bunch of rays is evaluated at full resolution when it hits the plane, then at half resolution (1/4 of the actual workload) for the actual scene. Sure it's faster but may produce rendering errors. Think the plane trcik as physical representation for adaptive sampling since that's what it is.

pixym
07-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Sorry but I have to repeat.
For my architectural scenes, this trick produces slower renderings from 10 to 25 %
:hmm:

3DDave
07-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Have you tried FPrime??

coffeefery
07-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Hi, guys. I have read on this trick a few months ago and have tried it a few times. Like what pixym said, mine also slows down around 10% (I calculated the time with and without using the trick). It says that it works when there are a lot of polygons, and mainly when they stack behind one another. However, no matter how I tried it, it is still slower than not using it...

If anyone has suceeded in using it, please share it with us. Would love to speed up rendering whatever the method may be :D

P.S. Regarding FPrime, that is an absolute must :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-06-2005, 03:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.