PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with good tutorials/ manuals on XSI v.2.0.1

jazzthief
02-19-2002, 04:24 AM
My local reseller is handing me a 30 day evaluation of XSI v.2.0 for W2K. As a Maya character animator I'm kinda excited using Softimage again - ahhhhhh, the memories. But my reseller is holding out on the manuals. I've been told from my L.A. colleagues that XSI manuals/ tutorials doesn't compare especially with Maya. I tried Amazon.com but there isn't too many books on the package (version 1.0 doesn't count). Mesmer books seemed fairly basic. Which leaves me with you wonderful XSI users on CG TALK. Who I might add are the nicest bunch - nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Anyone who can help out with a first time XSI user it'll be much appreciated.

meloncully
02-19-2002, 04:40 AM
well, i have some softimage manuals. 2.0 that is. If you want them we need to find a way to connect.

________
meloncully

jazzthief
02-19-2002, 05:01 AM
That sounds great! Leave it up to the Soft user group to be charitable. You can contact me via email if we can workout an arrangement.

Merci!

jazzthief@rocketmail.com

jordibares
02-20-2002, 05:41 PM
Although the Maya tutorials are not bad, the rest of the manuals / reference are quite bad _too_.

Documentation this days is getting quite poor i think, although XSI manuals are easier to read, ar least the whole layout.

but this is just my humble opinion. flavour again.

jordibares

dmonk
02-20-2002, 06:41 PM
If you go to www.xsifiles.com they have great tutorials, some are for 2.0

If you can get on the website they have many tutorials for 2.0, but you have to have an account with them.

P.S. www.edharriss.com

good luck

jordibares
02-20-2002, 06:51 PM
mmmm...

Sorry but i am talking about the printed tutorials and printed manuals given with the program. (and their HTML version included in the CD)

:-)

jordibares

bdemong
10-18-2002, 10:33 PM
If you're looking for something more advanced than XSI Illuminated: Foundation (http://www.mesmer.com/books/xsifound2.html) , we recently released the second title in the series, XSI Illuminated: Character (http://www.mesmer.com/books/xsicharacter.html) . It's all intermediate-to-advanced-to-really-advanced material covering designing characters, IK, weighting, expressions, facial rigs, and a lot more. Follow the links to find out more and to check out a tutorial from the book.

Happy animating!

Atyss
10-19-2002, 12:06 AM
If you order/download the Experience (XSI demo), you get all the html docs. And it's free.

I don't understand why your reseller holds the manuals, since they are electronic and one of the CDs that come with XSI. Smells bad.

Imho, if you really want to make a good investment, go with the Cumbrian Training serie. It's on CD, it's video, and you'll learn a lot. I really liked them. And you have a 30-day refund period. You'll learn modeling, rigging, animation (including shape and non-linear) and texture mapping. Worth the price. www.cmagic.co.uk

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

swampthing
10-19-2002, 03:18 PM
heheh withheld the manuals?

Ya gotta love the excuses people come up with to try and get manuals. I swear. More like the place he downloaded it from ripped the manuals to save on size and he wasn't smart enough to realize the experience CD had the complete manuals and tutorials. And on top of it he has the word "thief" in his forum name.

Curious jazzTHIEF, what's the name and address of your reseller?

ggg
10-20-2002, 12:38 AM
voicing the obvious ;)
then again one of the bogus things is students don't have access to some support docs on Softimage.com like spdls, as one needs the cusmtomer support ID #, but its not for support just the support docs, they're JUST docs and for the SDK, its not like other companies can't get them easily via shared customers.

3L3CTRO9!9
10-28-2002, 01:11 PM
JazzThief....Ahh the memories. I'm using Maya now too. I remember a loong time ago when you were showcasing the work you did in Softimage on the swimming aliens in Alien Resurrection :) That was one of the coolest things I ever saw at the time. I'd love to hear what you think of XSI!

jazzthief
10-30-2002, 03:38 PM
Swamp Thing seems like someone is having a bad hair day. My reseller is ATEC DIGITAL ARTS/ NYC. Where our studio brought $50K worth of hardware/ software. We had a trial 30 days on XSI where basically the reseller came in with a CD installer and a CD tutorial. Which I might add aren't very good. We're planning to look into another reseller. But I might add the XSI Character edition from Mesmer is very thorough. Thanks BD. We managed to pass XSI 2.0 due to un-stablity, slow toonshader and price point. But keen on v.3.0 from what I'm hearing and seeing.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.