PDA

View Full Version : Cartoon Air Rider

valri22
07-04-2005, 10:41 PM
I'm putting together my demo reel in the next three weeks so I'm going through all of the characters I've done already and spending some time tweaking them. This is my second character, a cartoonish boy.
I've done some blend shapes for simple facial expression. I'm going to work on the texturing next, then hopefully I can do a simple rig without taking too much time. He's under 7000 poly's and will probably stay there. If I could I'd love to give him something to fly around on, like a snowboard shaped rocket thing that his feet strap into and off he goes! He looks like that kinda guy. But I don't have much time so we'll see... I'll try to keep updating as much as possible.

http://www.valsadventures.com/Assets/photos/3d/Boy-turnaround.jpg

rob-beddall
07-05-2005, 02:17 AM
hey!

looks like a good solid model

the only thing i noticed was that his legs seem to bend a little too far backwards.
but if that's the concept then it's entirely up to you , obviously :)

cheers!!

aesir
07-05-2005, 03:55 AM
I agree, you overdid it with the bend in the lower legs. They look broken at the shins.

DeadBoy
07-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Looks great- I'm a big fan of this style, and wish it was more popular in video games.

One thing- 7K polys is very high, even for a realistic game model. A standard realistic character model is 6500 tops, and probably around 5K for a stylized one. You can delete a bunch of the edges on the thigh and arms to drop the poly count. They're not deforming anything, so you won't miss them.

Good Luck!

Iain McFadzen
07-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Where have all those polys gone?

He looks appealing enough, but I can't see any way you can justify that sort of a budget on such a simple character.

valri22
07-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Rob - I agree with the shins and I changed them so they're not quite so gumby-ish. Iain - As for the amount of poly's, I cut those down too. I really don't know where they are all coming from but I managed to get rid of a big chunk. Here is the breakdown of the tri's:

Body: 1360
Each Hand: 884
Shoes, Headband, Goggles: 900
Face: 1226
Board: 212

Total Triangles: 5562

I stayed up until 8:30am last night and this morning (for some reason my creative juices just flow then)... I was on a roll with another character and this one so I made these changes and skinned and posed him quickly. Obviously he isn't weighted, but it gives you an idea of what the final model will look like and gives him some life.

http://www.valsadventures.com/Assets/photos/3d/Air-Rider-02.jpg

jOBe
07-07-2005, 12:45 PM
I really like the model and the expressions he's able to give with his face. My only complaint is the board - you've spent sooooo much polys on the character and soooo little on the board. Thou' when looking at the renders the board is an important part of your character composition and stick totally out, because of the very very low poly geometry. I'd rework that if i was you.

DeadBoy
07-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Hey man, looks great- good job cutting down on those polys. I noticed one extra thing, a quick fix you can do on the texture to sell it more. It may be a nitpick, but it seems like the hole in his gloves on the back of the hand were traced around the poly layout. It makes it look a little boxy.

You may wanna dive in quickly to your texture map and round those puppies out- maybe even draw a seam or something so there is slightly more detail between the gloves and the hands underneath. It may sound like a nitpick, but attention to small details like that might really help sell the concept.

Good Luck!!:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2005, 04:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.