PDA

View Full Version : Making fields for broadcast?

Vojislav+Milanovic
07-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Well, here is a summary of a problem. I need to get some rendering from 3D app to broadcast. However, renderer i'm using doesn't support field rendering. I've seen somewhere there is a technique for making interpolated material. If I remember well output should be 50 frames per second and then it's somewhow interpolated in processing app. I need TV PAL 720x576 in odd (or lower) fields.

thanks

scrimski
07-04-2005, 10:43 PM
When the render footage has a transparent background AfterEffects will render it into fields(when said so) as far as I remember. btw, the odd field is the upper field, not the lower field.

YETI
07-12-2005, 10:44 PM
This was something that drove me up the wall when i first starting doing stuff for broadcast... nobody would tell me how to do it, so I worked it out pretty much by trial and error.

Ok this is the method that I use.

1. First render from your 3d app as 720X576 uncompressed - I usually use tga files especially when I want to use an alpha channel.

2. Import the sequence into after effects.

3. Make a new composition that is 720X576 with DV1/pal aspect ratio.

4. check that your footage is set to also be imported as dv/pal aspect. (select your footage in the bin and push ctrl+f to bring up this dialogue)

5. drop your footage into the new compostion that you have made.

6. Apply a "reduce interlace flicker" effect to your footage and set the amount to 1.0 (This is very important as what appears to be blurry on your pc computer screen will be good for tv display - if you don't do this expect all sorts of strange flickering to appear on the broadcast tv display!)

7. If you did not make the footage broadcast safe in your 3d app apply a broadcast colours effect to your footage and set it for PAL

8. You are now ready to export your sequence - push ctrl+M to bring up the render queue - under the render settings dialogue set your footage to use upper or lower fields depending on the format being used - generally upper for betacam and lower for dvcam all other settings set to best under the output module dialogue choose an appropriate format - I use tga's here as a rule

9. Render your sequence - this should make sure that your footage when pulled into an editing suite will not give you trouble :thumbsup:

Vojislav+Milanovic
07-12-2005, 11:23 PM
YETI. thanks mate. i'll try it. although there is still one more thing confusing me. i rendered my sequence in 50 fps and I need 25fps PAL DV output. So, should i interpret it 50fps in AE and choose 25 in render queue settings. timing is ok, i streched animation 2x.

btw LOWER FIELD = ODD FIELDS, at least lighwave camera settings say it so

YETI
07-13-2005, 10:55 AM
As a rule render at the frame rate you intend to use - so for pal 25fps, I would be careful of using the AFX frame blending to account for different fps, as sometimes it causes a sort of blurry shadow on your footage when you view it on the telly if you are changing your frame rate. Rather render with motion blur in your 3d app - I find it causes less hassels overall.

Reelsmart motion blur for AFX is very very good - You'll probably never render a motion blur inside your 3d app again. I would recommend it to everybody.

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2005, 10:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.