PDA

View Full Version : Final Reel Walk Cycle

2hands
07-04-2005, 08:27 PM
I think I'm finally at a stage where I'm happy with this. Of course I still have 4 months of school left, so please don't hestitate to tell me if you think something would look better or if something's just completely wrong. I can always update it before it goes on the final reel. And the final reel's just gotta be perfecto! :)

http://student.vfs.com/~3d53daniel/walkfinal.jpg

Walk.mov (Quicktime, Sorenson 3, 720x468, 1.6MB) (http://student.vfs.com/~3d53daniel/walkfinal.mov)
Walk.avi (DivX, 720x468, 76KB) (http://student.vfs.com/~3d53daniel/walkfinal.avi)

Please critique! :)

p.s - I'm not 100% on the arms yet, I still want to work on those more, it's just time to move on to the next scene. Let me know if you like them.

Lambchopo
07-04-2005, 08:51 PM
It looks pretty good. However the neck looks a little stiff as if the head and spine is one piece. Hope that makes sense. All in all, I like it. Peace

Scotcho
07-05-2005, 03:42 AM
Nice work Danny. To me, spine looks a little too stiff from the front. The slowing down of the feet movement in the side view at the end of each step is a little distracting (when the toe if lifting up).. don't be afraid to bend the foot at the toes more to fix this. The offset of his hand on the arms forward movement seems a little too much.. it'd make sense if it were a fast movement but it is quite slow. Everything else looks perfect, you're sure improving.

airdogg01
07-05-2005, 06:44 AM
Thats a solid walk cycle you've got there. keep up the good work. I agree with the comments about the spine and the head though. Other than that, it looks pretty fluid.

2hands
07-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks a mil guys

Really appreciate it. I've had a few other people mention the same things. So they're defintate changes! I'll see what more people have to say before I go back to it...

Thanks again!

Arnand
07-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Ok, I just sat through a critique by Jonathan (our animation mentor at VFS) And here are some of the things that jump out at me right now Dan.

1. Weight shift - The hips aren't moving far enough left & right. The COG is not over the foot that's one the ground. When you move the COG, the spine should S-curve to compensate and keep the head in relatively the same position.

2. Toe Drag - the toe drags on the ground when the back leg lifts up. The foot should swing in a parallel arc for a normal walk. Not lift up and move forward with the toe dragging.

3. Spine rotation - there's no movement in the spine.... the hips should rotate in sync with the legs, and the shoulders should counter rotate. Left shoulder forward with right leg, right shoulder forward with left leg.

Just my observations. Good luck with the work and come to class! Jonathan gives good critique.

-Arnand

Chris Bacon
07-05-2005, 08:43 PM
if you can relax the spine just a bit......it would be spot on

good job

2hands
07-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Well I think everyone, myself included, agrees that the spine needs a lot more work. I can tell you that I did spend a little time on it, but nothing compared to the rest of it...and it shows. All the correct curves are there, they're just so subtle. Just have a lot of tweaking to do now to get it looking sexy.

Vivec: Thanks :)

Arnand: Thanks, great crits. At first I was like, what the hell are you talking about? Then I looked really close, good eye on the toe!

The weight shift is there, I'll increase it a little, but I think the impact has to do more with the overlap of everything in order to give it the punch it needs. Which goes back to the spine, etc. I want to keep things subtle.

John does give good crits, I got a bunch from him last week and improved it to what you see now, looking forward to hearing all the new stuff I gotta fix in this one! :)

J.Wilson
07-05-2005, 11:32 PM
hey man,
just had a look at your current walk cycle, its lookin pretty dam good dude.
only crit i have is to relax the spine it bit, but it seems like you already know that,
keep up the good work man its really coming together
:thumbsup:
cheers

2hands
07-06-2005, 04:49 AM
Thanks Joe! :)

feebsicle
08-25-2005, 06:16 AM
is your arm feeling better ?i was sad that we didnt get to see your presentation :(

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2005, 06:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.