PDA

View Full Version : Scifi ships space, stations and rest - modelling team wanted

Pages : [1] 2

und3r
10-23-2002, 08:28 PM
Hi there :) This is my first thread but i am a member of this forum for a long while. I was wondering if there is a posibility to create team of poeple who can create a new Sci-Fi reality world. I know that is a little bit optimistic .. but we can try :) To create new rases new technologies of ships weapons and so on... I am waiting for suggestions opinions ...:cool:

KingMob
10-23-2002, 08:40 PM
sounds like fun... I might have some free time, I could help with some concept sketches or something.

Did you have any idea, or just saying it could be fun?

und3r
10-23-2002, 09:12 PM
I say that it is a bare project of may own. I have free time also and I alway was interested in SciFi. I don't have any created idea. I am open for suggestions. I thought about creating fiew races but think about scifi.. what is humanity in that creations... it is always far behind ... how about creating space ruling race ?

Tavi
10-24-2002, 03:45 AM
hmm.. i would be interested in helping u out but my drawing skills arnt that great but i can model. And i can probably come up with some things let me know if u want help.

KingMob
10-24-2002, 03:51 AM
hell, count me in.

Migh tbe fun, I want ot make some sort of ground transport..I have never made a vehicle before, so why not.

I would like to do some sort of terran species, who lost their planet and now deploys ships into space like spores to find a nw planet to reside on.

I will try and think of something more original, but that's my initial thought.

Harrad
10-24-2002, 06:27 AM
Sounds pritty fun. Count me in.

Is there going to be any laws or limits?

Software?

Also is this going towards anything... in the grand scale of things...

-MAtt

KingMob
10-24-2002, 06:33 AM
I think it should go somewhere...

and my opinion, no laws or limits on software, but we should try and ground it in reality somewhat, since that always makes the strongest concept IMO ...but this isn't my show, so I will let und3r decide of course,

-

Tavi
10-24-2002, 07:32 AM
i think there should be a line we should follow. but as software wise we should be able to use what ever we are confortable with. you can always import form programs to programs i started on a creature should have a rough idea posted tomorrow.

but like kingmob said its und3r's show. also we should be able to talk to one another via somthing. just an idea if we do decide to do somthing.

Hope we can do somthing and goes through

Tavi
10-24-2002, 09:26 AM
hehe here is somthing i was working on its going to be somthing like from star craft like a zerg or somthing just making the rough tell me what u think if u can imagine what it can be.

LostSoul╣13
10-24-2002, 10:53 AM
a familly dog just give him a head with a long tong :thumbsup:

und3r
10-24-2002, 12:03 PM
I think software is not a matter:) I am a religius 3dmaxian but i don't think that maya or lightwave suxx. :) I think that we should try... If you want to create a terran rase than do so.. pick a rase, name it and start to creating. I will strat today :) It would be cool if we can some day but all of it in one annimation but i know that converters suxxxxxx but who cares. We will be the first who did that :) When we finish creating we can make a script and try to short annimation in some kinda presentation. I think that the most important is creating and putting it togather and do it ... not to stop when we are bored or sth. So do it ! Remember every one who can create its own rase is welcome... every one who have creative mind can try... but please finish what you start.

Peace :) :thumbsup:

Harrad
10-24-2002, 04:21 PM
Sounds good. Do you mean each person has to have threre own race?

I think we should limit how many races. So each race has a class....

like in starcraft...
1. monster type things
2. human's (humanoide)
3. Higher beings

but different. once we have them then we can pick one and make some thing for it....

person
weapon
transport
planet

i'll starting thinking of ideas...

"but we should try and ground it in reality somewhat, since that always makes the strongest concept IMO"- King mob

i think this is a good idea. for each race they have to have a tech level.

ie.
If one race uses bullets in guns. they can't have a laser gun. as it wouldn't make sence. as why have the old bullets. But if you make a reason. like they have laser gun but you need a huge generator on you back to power it. so there is only a few of them. or another race has the tech for lasers. and the first race has stolen one of there guns. but doesn't understand it full and so only has limited use of it..

(does any of that make sence?)

-MAtt

und3r
10-24-2002, 07:34 PM
Well I do :) I agree :) That's wise :) So we can create now and here that rases.

One has to be himan (terran). - we have to decide the tech level is it higher or lower than another rases.

Two .....

Three .....

Four .....

Ideas?

KingMob
10-24-2002, 07:50 PM
I think terran shoul dbe VERY patchwork, like they are struggling with resources, trying to compete with advanced species..

Tavi
10-24-2002, 08:14 PM
Well i think we need a game plan and need to talk an what and what not to do and have a general idea of what we want to do. if u give evryone freedom to do what they want you will have a bunch of things that migh not even be used. we need an outline of what we think we are going to do. ex. base being raided by fighters and troopers. defenders tanks and troopers. somthing along those lines. otherwise it will take a long time to develop.
If we have a game plan this will work more efficient thats my idea.

KingMob
10-24-2002, 08:31 PM
allright we need someone to organize all this stuff and keep us kids in line...I nominate the founder (hehe)

und3r

since it's his baby.

maelstrom
10-24-2002, 08:52 PM
sounds like an interesting idea, but what do you want to achieve with it?

just some enzyclopedia pictures of an distant world or create actually a movie or even a game?

und3r
10-24-2002, 11:01 PM
So what we need is a plan .. a history of somekind. We have to decide how many species will it and their tech. We need to do it before starting anything. So please take a wordprocessor on-line :) and make a use of your minds ::rolleyes: You can skip for now a names of the species call them s1 s2 and so on ... :) looking forward to read it .. i will start making it just after I finish 'Enterprise 2x05' Give me 45 min ot start... :bounce:

und3r
10-24-2002, 11:11 PM
Ok I was thinking and thinking and.... first of all we have to create names for species.... then I can sit and think of a history of theirs and make a tech tree ... but to be exact i need your help its a hell of a work for one man....

I`m thinking that every one who wants picks a race and makes a history of it .. (without any military confrontations with another that we will put at the end :)

How about that?

und3r
10-24-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by maelstrom
sounds like an interesting idea, but what do you want to achieve with it?

just some enzyclopedia pictures of an distant world or create actually a movie or even a game?

What we want is fun ... a creation of ours, totaly indipanded scifi world maybe. To create species with their own culturs and tech make them live and will make it :) Build armadas of starships... but pupose... Maybe it will reveal in a little time :)

Tavi
10-24-2002, 11:17 PM
sounds good. but we can hae evryone work on a different race i say we should brainstorm than pick the 3 beat races and than delegate or ask ppl woh wants to work on what race. and team up. 2 ppl is alway better than one. But we need to first decide the races and enviroment we are going to use. Are we only doing space battles or are we doing land or planet fall combat. these are always good to keep in mind. Also we should figure out who wants to do this and is in on it and get talking through AIM or msn or some kind of service so we can email stuff back and forth. But its your call und3r u are the creator so u need to set down some rules.

und3r
10-24-2002, 11:24 PM
Totaly agree .. we need a ground to work on :) But I still can count 3 maybe 4 people.. :) But lets do it ... Now ... we create worlds :) :bounce:

und3r
10-25-2002, 08:23 PM
So I can see that every one has gave up ... why? ... I started to write some kinda (very simple) history o 'Terran Federation'... Can you guys make some thing on the ather species?

:wavey:

Tavi
10-25-2002, 09:26 PM
i didnt give up but its really hard to do this if we dont have a comunication between the ppl that want in. like msn or aim chat and stuff and emails. it will be much easier than talking on here.

KingMob
10-25-2002, 09:30 PM
I'm still in, I had to train yesterday and I am usually pretty beat after that. Don't give up it all sounds good so far.

und3r
10-25-2002, 11:40 PM
What do you propose ? I can arrange a nes latter server for us a doiman with board, but really I have naver user msn :) But I can do this to communicate with eachother. This project means very much to me. It became something greater than just using 3dmax (in my case) It became my love. I started to create history of human race. If someone is able to tell me how to use msn i will to that !!

Tavi
10-26-2002, 01:19 AM
all u have to do is open a hotmail account its free. than dl the msn intatnt messanger than we can talk its also free. its not hard at all.

here is a ship cocept i am working on. i need more detail to it but this is a start let me know what u think.:bounce:

und3r
10-26-2002, 03:54 AM
I like it very much :) Tell will it be a fighter or a light transport .. or you still have no idea? .. And tell me which software?

Tavi
10-26-2002, 04:15 AM
like a fighter i need to add the details and gunns. also need to figure out how to do the back. should be done with it by sunday i hope. i have a transport in mind will do after this one. I use maya.

Flunky3D
10-26-2002, 04:52 AM
Hey guys

Like your idea very mutch!!
I would like to help you, if i could.
Because i am not so good at moddeling and i'm still a beginner.
I could not be of any use.

So i can't be very helpfull but i'll learn hard:rolleyes:
And i'll follow you ol the way till the end.

Good luck to you all with the project.

Keep up the spirit. :beer:

Greetzzzzzz
Knowledge :wavey: :thumbsup:

Tavi
10-26-2002, 07:54 AM
you can help knowledge build guns,turest, buildings props that simple stuff and good practice. plus if u need help u can ask.

Harrad
10-26-2002, 08:11 PM
Ok, after having the worlds biggest hang over yesturday... i'm now really to start.

i'll post something later.

MAtt :buttrock:

und3r
10-26-2002, 10:26 PM
Copernicus station is a research facility with long range scaners and a opservatory. It was created by 'Terran Federation' in 2110 to search for new alien civs and obtain new techs for humans who are in the dawn of collonizetion of Solar System.

This is only a partly made... I use 3d max v5
The Copernicus
http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus.jpg

http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus1.jpg
http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus2.jpg

Waiting for opinions .. I want to mansion that in the tops will be ending with sth and with turrets and rocket lounchers.

und3r
10-27-2002, 02:30 AM
The Copernicusupdate

These are updates of the station... I have a problem with textures... Can anyone make a glorius textures for the hall?
http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus3.jpg

http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus4.jpg

Tavi
10-27-2002, 02:58 AM
nice station its looking good. i am myself bad at texturing. i hope some can texture out of all of us hehe if not we will be struguling or we will need to beat ourselfs till we do it nice :bounce:

but here is the spacefighter let me know what u guys think or what i should add to it i am going to model the inside of cockpit too.

Harrad
10-27-2002, 05:12 AM
UND3R- Starting too look good. Reminds me of 2001:SO. do you mean the little waalkway or the big walkway.ermm... what i mean is. what part is the walk way the middle part or the 2 smaller onees with the lights on. As the smaller ones would be better for scale. (see pic)

tavi- thats great. I'll give texturing a go once you finnished if you want. What program is it? thats the king of thing that i was thinking of. (is it for the humans?)

My idea- if you have the main humans (maybe having a big corproate world. one world leader. etc...) and then have some out casts. who like to be more free. and are a bit more rustic. and retro like. i'm sketching some pics up. it'll show more of what i mean.

also i like the idea of a race of non-entatys (sp?) who are more of a gas than a humanesqu like being.

http://www.toonfreak.com/~harrad/sci_fi/walkway.jpg

this shows the walkway. and my higher being test.

-MAtt

FLOw
10-27-2002, 05:27 AM
hey, check this out!
www.mirc.com
:eek: :p
cool idea :thumbsup:
gl

Tavi
10-27-2002, 08:06 AM
hey harrad i am using maya 4.0..... if u want to texture it and u want to do it i ll pass it to u. i am almost done with it. so when u want me to pass it i ll do it. oh i ll love to see some concept art.

glad we have ppl working on this hope evrithing will go good.

Bane
10-27-2002, 09:26 AM
Aaaaaaaaa, I hope Im not to late to join!?

Im pritty good at 3D and I can write tons of history and such seeing as im in highschool still plus I listin to metal. (very good for thinking of anything si fi or fantasy)

Anyways, yeah. Can I still get in?

und3r
10-27-2002, 09:57 AM
Every One is Invited.

And as far a 2001:SO is on plate .. I havent seen it :(

C ya i have mcsa exam today :)

und3r
10-27-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Tavi
nice station its looking good. i am myself bad at texturing. i hope some can texture out of all of us hehe if not we will be struguling or we will need to beat ourselfs till we do it nice :bounce:

but here is the spacefighter let me know what u guys think or what i should add to it i am going to model the inside of cockpit too.

I like it very much ... guns are ok and so on .. tell me if it is a terran vessel .. :) Today I have an exam so I will restart work on Copernicus tomorrow :) I hope someone is working too on somekinda of ship :)

Crash
10-28-2002, 01:24 AM
hey guys I would be glad If I could jump in too, I've done this war ship a long time ago , I know it's preatty lame but with my new abillities I can fix it if you like :). The race is called The Kirusin, on the background of the image you can see a nebula which is a specific gas mixture, their planet is within the nebula, they have to ware special suites outside the nebula coz the gravity is small on their home planet. I think that they being in the middle of a nebula can create some very interesting religions and low gravity structures that could be more artistic coz they don't need to worry about the weight of the structure. What do you think?

http://www.max3d.pl/galeria/crash/kirusinfleet.jpg

Crash
10-28-2002, 01:26 AM
oh and another thing, It would be cool if someone would make this thread a sticky :)

KingMob
10-28-2002, 01:32 AM
wow nice stuff. SOrry i Have not had time to do much yet..I am going to gtet started today on something...terran if possible.

Crash
10-28-2002, 01:45 AM
If I'll have a little time I can fix the large ship and work on some small ships, in the meen time someone could design the looks of the creatures with and without the armour, I imagine them tall, weak and a bit skinny, but strong and mean looking with the armour... what do you think? :)

und3r
10-28-2002, 01:49 AM
Welcome Crash :)

I was hoping You will join us :)

So Expand this species of Yours make more ships present them :)

Now for Crash only :

To ja oFt

Amalinde
10-28-2002, 03:20 AM
i'm in, i mostly do modelling, some animating, i suck at texturing, but i can try,

anyways i really think we should come up with some more structure instead of trying to all run off in 200 directions, first i think we need to decide what we want to make, a animated short? a game? after we decide that we need to come up with some final decisions on races and types of technology, if bob and john both think they are making terran ships but they dont look anything alike, thats not gonna work. i dont think we really have the people to make a game, so i would recommend a short, but its really up to und3r, anyways just my .02...

i'm working on a small ship atm, i think its gonna be terran but maybe it will be something else, should post something tonight.

you can aol me at lightwavepunk i also have icq/msn if anyone wants those just ask.

Amalinde
10-28-2002, 03:29 AM
hrmph, lw just crashed and i lost what i was working on, ow well i start over and make a new improved one...

Tavi
10-28-2002, 05:25 AM
i like that crash looks nice. yeah i think u should make them skinnier and tall. but u should also make some big ones for ground forces as. but its up to u i am going to work on some human ships and stuff so that what i am aming towards i am going to make a desert like base and stuff what do u guys think let me know before i start.

Amalinde
10-28-2002, 05:45 AM
heres my thoughts while waiting on a render, i think we want to make something like a movie or game or whatever and not just a bunch of pics? so if we are going to do a short we should keep it fairly simple, say 2 races, the terrans and the gravity tall dudes, and some kind of battle? we really need to get a plot or something down tho and some ideas about the looks of each race before we do a whole lot more i think otherwise it will just fall apart.

Tavi
10-28-2002, 05:50 AM
well we dont really have ant guidlines right now evryone can model anyting they want. so it seems.

its all up to und3r to do it and say what to this is his proj.

Tavi
10-28-2002, 06:52 AM
was working on a desert scape to put a base on. what do u guys think.

Crash
10-28-2002, 04:31 PM
hey Tavi very nice, could be a jump outpost on some asteroid. I thought bout organisation and came up with an idea. We could have 3 races, The Terran Federation, The Kirusin Proconsulate, and The Raiders, the last race could be a bunch of diffrent races from distant and nearby worlds that are just plain hit & run guys or just scavengers. Their ships don't have to be alike, they could only have a mark of some sort or some pirate flag :p, this way many ships can look diffrently. We would start with seperating 3 teams for those 3 races, every team would have to start woth creating plantery systems with names and all, and define some outposts boarders and capital cities on their races homeworld. Then we should take care of their looks, that way it would be easier to define how their buildings and vechicles would look. From there after creating some outposts, modelinbg some buildings we can go for the spacedocks and some ships. Every team could aid each other, but every project has to be voted for to eliminate the unwanted chaos, everyone should try to make similar ships for their races si that everything stays in place. OK whata you think? is it :thumbsdow or :thumbsup: :bounce:

Amalinde
10-28-2002, 04:33 PM
:thumbsup:

I like your idea crash, perhaps one addition is that people with same software should work together to make it easier, ie terrans = MAX Kirusins = MAYA raiders = LW or so? not necissarrily that combo, but would simplify alot of stuff maybe. i dunno how many c4d users we have here tho and maybe some are using blender etc...

I use LW 7b but ive also got max 4 which i suck in.

Crash
10-28-2002, 04:36 PM
oh and it would be nice to define some continents on those planets [homeworlds] an some oceans, could be just a simple drawing, oh some 2d artists would be very appricieted. I'll start my work on the Kirusins Proconsulate as soon as I finish learning :p, come on guys let's get this moving :beer:

Tavi
10-28-2002, 04:38 PM
I think that is a good idea crash. But i still dont know who is in. So far it looks like me u und3r kingmob bane if i am missing anyone else sorri dont know we need a list ot see who is in on this project than we can separate the teams. But that is a great idea cras like the pirate thing hehe mix of all races and alliens.thats cool:thumbsup:

Crash
10-28-2002, 04:38 PM
ok guys so report on which team would you like to be, and what are your plans, fire away and will add everyone to the list afterwards, I'll write it down I hope under is ok with this

:)

The Terran Federation:
Under, Tavi, KingMob, Amalinde

The Kirusin Proconsulate:
Crash, Harrad, Levin

The Raiders:
Bane

Crash
10-28-2002, 04:50 PM
oh under it would be nice if you could change the name of the thread, to something more catching coz it looks like a job offer now ;) , Like "Emmerging Universe" or "Want to play God?, join us!" I talked to Leigh and maybe if we're lucky we'll get a sticky :beer: that would rock :buttrock:

Amalinde
10-28-2002, 04:50 PM
just a lil something i made. loosely based on tavi's fighter, its more of a multi-role atmospheric/space fighter. the guns below the wing poly count is insane so i'll be redoing them. i gotta add alot of details too, but anyways.

Tavi
10-28-2002, 04:52 PM
I will like to work on terran federation...but if anyone else needs somthing i will be gald to help. I am a maya user. also if we need to animate some stuff i can do it in mocap save us some time but we will see about that at a later time.

Amalinde
10-28-2002, 04:53 PM
i'll work on terrans or raiders, whichever is fine, i'll start some terran buildings maybe later this afternoon, atm i gotta do some rl work. GRR this wierd time posting stuff is driving me crazy!

Crash
10-28-2002, 04:57 PM
about the import/export we don't have to worry, we'll just use polytrans, it's very good for this kind of operations. But we definitlly need more hands, coz everybody is on the terran team, for now I can handle the Kirusin by myslef but lateron it will be very hard. I'll just skip this nights sleep to think of some resenoble names for the plantes, I'll try to make the whole Kirusin system tonight. I was just wondering, can anybody tell me, can a planetery system be placed in a nebula? And how does the spiral movement of the planets look like when there are 2 suns? I would be glad if you could answer any of these questions :)

Amalinde
10-28-2002, 05:01 PM
yeah there are stars (and therefore can be) planets inside nebulas. and if i remember right, planets around dual stars would have pretty much normal orbits

Tavi
10-28-2002, 05:10 PM
good question crash but cant help u there. i am going to work on the teran base on the desert planet dont know a name for it yet. its going to be a planet for extracting minerals and there is an outpost on it which will be the base and than i will have and industrial buildings on it that look like they are going bellow the surface of the planet what do u guys think or keep it simple with just a bse on it ??

und3r
10-28-2002, 05:21 PM
I can see That project has a legs of its own .. good :)
As I said before .. I can complete the Copernicus station and later on I can start working of a Third Rase (not a raders they can be as a kinda univers bunch and be the Fourth Rase).

I am a religious 3d Maxian so I work only with that :) (I believe that Crash is also a max user :) )

und3r
10-28-2002, 05:24 PM
Okey I passed my MCSA final Exam so I can work on Cpernicus now :) I need a fer minutes to feel the subjcet and start to continue that peace on junk :)

Crash
10-28-2002, 05:34 PM
making it a mining satation is a nice idea, keep it evolving. I think I'll need 2 suns coz the nebula is going to be thick so sunlight won't be so easilly reacheble for the planets, I'll think of some other majore life source. Ohh and I thought about the raiders, they could be a bunch of criminals, simply some outcast but among them there could be good people too that just left coz they couldn't tolarate the goverment or for some other reson. The pirate ofcourse won't be evil to the core they'll be just plain people that didn't found their way in the world. I presume that there should be a limited number of habitateble worlds, that would explain those raiders. Plus some races could be able to quicklly terraform some planets.

Crash
10-28-2002, 05:38 PM
ok so we'll have to make place for the 4th race, any ideas? I'll change the list, still waiting for some new recruits :beer:

Tavi
10-28-2002, 05:45 PM
guys 4 races is way to much i think at this time. why dont we build the pirate ships and their races and ppl off the stuff we arnt going to use or just concept ships that we think arnt to par for the other races just a sugestion if u want to bring in the 4th race. but the way crash had it i though it was great but its und3r 's proj. so i dont know???

und3r
10-28-2002, 05:56 PM
:) Guys ... why are trying to do every thing on the easy way ? :)
I think that just try .. we will see what will happen :) On the conversation with Crash I decided to make new Copernicus station .. this one was too ... present :)

Harrad
10-28-2002, 05:59 PM
ok, so here is the low gravity guys. or rather what they look like under there gravity armour...

http://www.toonfreak.com/~harrad/sci_fi/alien_1.jpg

A little bit or thinking:

low gravity... no need for bones then... hummm.... jelly fish.

ok. so these guys are made of a jelly like material. but still have some rejidety (sp?) to them. they are quite emchanting... but don't be fooled... they have powers... they can do stuff with there minds. But it hurts them...

little pain for you, little bit of pain for them... its a trade off.
thus if one of them were to put all there life energy in to there mind. it would be like a bomb, but they would die too. (little bit like akira).

I'll start to work on the outter shell (armour). i'll be alot more evil.

C+C?

Crash- does it fit in with your thinking?

MAtt :D

Amalinde
10-28-2002, 06:09 PM
yeah i think 4 races is too much, maybe 3 even is, we only have like 5 people so it would be REALLY hard to make quality work for 4 totally seperate races, especially since as far as i can tell we dont have any concept artists. btw i love the raiders idea, i think i will work on them! RAIDERS HO!

I like the terrans cuz theyr like our race, the nebula dudes are cool cuz we can go crazy with their buildings and people and raiders are cool cuz they can sorta be like funny outcasts with junk ships made out of tons of different kinds of parts. but yeah unless we get some more people i think we may just gotta limit ourselves to 1 or 2 races for now if we want to do cool stuff and not just 3 minute flying saucers. Also my comp is sorta slow so i'm not much good for texturing or rendering, but i can model alot, we need to know everyons specs so we can plan for subd/lowpoly etc, whats our limits what can we handle, are scenes with 2 million poly gonna work etc....

so my comp:

Amd K-6 533mhz
192 ram
6 gig harddisk
crapass trident cyberblade 8 meg video card....

and i work on a laptop mostly so sometimes it looks great here and i upload it and looks like crap with colours and brightness for other people.... i can handel models up to about 100k poly but past that it gets just way to slow to do much.

Tavi
10-28-2002, 06:46 PM
well i am going to get cracking on terran stuff. i am going to work my but off and do my best.

since it looks like we are going for movie quality i doubt there is a poly count and stuff like that. just make it look good.

I am working on a
dual 1.2 athlons
768 ram
gforce3 card

Crash
10-28-2002, 06:50 PM
ok Harrad I'll pick you up on my team, I'm going to work on the planetery system structure now, about the being don't get me wrong but it's way to energy based for my likes, try to find some crossbetween flesh and energy, think on that one. The should be more fleshlike coz my colossus ship indicates so. Can;t wait to see your idea of the armour, after I'm done with the names for the planets I'll get to work on their homeplanet, lots of texture work here. And I'll post some larger images of the nebula from the background of those ship.
Amalinde: don;t worry we'll find some people, I don't think limiting us to just 1 or 2 races would be interesting, I mean it's not a commercial project, whaere's the rush? we've got time so sit back and relax coz we're creating a universe of our own, don't you feel like a God a bit? I sure do :) :beer:

Crash
10-28-2002, 06:59 PM
oh guys and one more thing, if you make a model of a ship or a gun or sumthin like that and it occurs to you it looks crapish, don't delete it, it will be of use for the raiders. I was thinking that we could make them an asteroid, It would be their homeworld, with lots of junk. It'll be a really big chunk of space rock, like 1/4 Earth size. I thought bout tthem and I think that within these curcimstances [sorry for my poor english] they are a bunch of desparate lost beings, that don't have a real home, they're lifes meaning is purelly survival, and they struggle fir existance in search of a planet for themselves. As I said before there aren;t many habitateble worlds in this part of the universe. What do you think?:)

Amalinde
10-28-2002, 07:02 PM
yeah i was thinking of making the raiders on an asteroid, i maybe work on the base tonight or something, i'll see what i feel like doing when i get home, btw i wasnt wanting to limit us, just try to keep us reasonable, if were going for an anim, we cant fit that many things into 5-10 minutes and even if we could a 10 min anim is like a years work.....

All of your computers beat the shit out of mine :(

Crash
10-28-2002, 07:03 PM
my config:
Duron 1ghz
256 RAM
Geforce2MX 32MB RAM 350Mhz
I know it ain't the best but I'm finding my way with it. I'm using 3dsmax3.11 with Vray as renderer, maybe soon I'll jump straight to max5, for organic models I use Metasequoia, Texturing only photoshop for now, and I hope to master DeepPaint soon.
:p

Amalinde
10-28-2002, 07:30 PM
Hrm, since i cant do any 3d till i get off work, i started thinking a history for the Raiders, so anyways this is what i came up with....

The raiders initially lived on the terran homeworld, there were 2 primary governments which had big wars. One side lost and the leaders were forced off the planet, the nebula world(i forget the races name) people wouldnt let them live there and most of the terran mining colonies were aggressive to them so they built a base on a asteroid, unfortunately their asteroid doesnt really have any orbit so it just wanders around the solar system which causes them alot of trouble but is also a blessing because you cant really know just where the asteroid is if you want to attack them. the asteroid has alot of metals and minerals and also alot of ice, but its very hard to grow food there so the inhabitands raid the colonies and cargo freighters of the terrans in order to aquire stuff to eat which is why they got the name raiders. Over time organization among the raiders has broken down and now theyre just a lose band of rebels who pirate anything they can to stay alive, although there are some underground organizations similar to the mafia.

what do you people think?

Crash
10-28-2002, 07:39 PM
nice Amalinde, just one little glitch, don't envolve the Kirusin [the nebula world people :p ] I would like them to be a riddle to the humans, you know like no official first contact, only a few encounterings that didn;t actually had any sens for the Federation, you know they're just a mistery for the humans, and their behaviour is diffrent than human. Also about the raiders, don't forget that there are more races mingled together in there so try to mix some aliens into it, or a robot rebelia of some sort. It looks nice but you have to give it wings and let it fly, give more personallity to the stroy, not just dry facts, try to place yourself in their position, what do you feel? Create their psychlogical image, let the stroy grow. But it's a good start :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

und3r
10-28-2002, 07:43 PM
This is a wire frame concept .. I still have many to add but here look at it :)

http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_new_01.jpg

http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_new_02.jpg

http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_new_03.jpg

http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_new_04.jpg

Waiting for first ops ... I now that it is hard to tell now .. but with no textures it looks like a one grey UfO :(

Crash
10-28-2002, 07:49 PM
the new copernicus roxxxx!! , much better than the earllyer version :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Harrad
10-28-2002, 08:23 PM
http://www.toonfreak.com/~harrad/sci_fi/kir.jpg

heres a little up date.

Crash- i've made them a bit more solid. do you still want more? also after looking back at your first pic. (space ship) i might try them in the same colour as whats coming out from the inside of your ship.

i like the idea about how the humans don't know about them.

Are they good or evil?

Tavi
10-28-2002, 08:28 PM
well i thought about the terrans to be an aggresive race that want to conquer evrithing and to rule all other races. But since they invaded this sector they encountered like u said crash your race which has put there advacment and aggresivnes to a halt. They are a little worryied now that they can be conquerd. so they are going to a defensive stand and trying to figure out whats going on since they only have had so few encounters with that race.. what do u guys think????

here is the base on the desert world in the pic u see a hangar in the sand dune and a wall that surrounds the city/base.. and 2 runways??? i am just alying out the buildings as cubes and cylinders than i am going to model them.any sugestions??

Crash
10-28-2002, 09:56 PM
nice thinking Tavi nice idea with the Terrans, I would apprecieate if someone could start the background story on the terrans, It would be cool, I've started a bit with the Kirusin, here goes nothing..... :)

Crash
10-28-2002, 09:59 PM
nice Harrad really nice, this will definitlly do, about the good or evil thingie, then I'm not sure yet, thay certinlly won't be some dogooders that do only good things for the good guys and beat up the bad guys. Ok here's another quick idea, they're much more technologicly suffisticated then terrans, they're not an old race, about 10 milion years old. They weren't very suffisticated in technological terms, rather cultural the civilisation of the Kirusin is based on a belife in their God that they call Jiherat, the myst God. The belive that the universe is a living being and that all existence is a part of an organism, in the passing millenia they mentaly combained with the universe, they protect life, destruction of a living planet couses a great feedback in their minds, affecting them mentaly, sometimes even physicly. The belive that Jiherat is a guardian of the sacred ground which is their homesystem. Many years ago there were living beings among them that they called The Guardians, they were Kirusins teachers, one day they vanished without a trace and they left a second sun on the sky just to be remembered. That story was only an ancient myth, to time. 300 years ago the Kirusin became capable of building a spaceship, they discovered a small desolate planet orbiting between the two suns, it occured that there were some ruins and ancient artefacts, at first the Kirusin couldn't understand them, but soon they relised that it were leftovers from the long lost Guardians. Soon they have known their culture and their advanced technollogy, they became capable of hyperspace travel in a matter of decades, the technollogy moved on very rapidlly. From the artefacts they read that once glorious civilization of their ancestors was devoured by the great blow which was the turning of the guardian homeplanet into a sun, it said that some of them survived and fled but nobody heard from them again. The Guardians planet on whiich the Kirusin found the artefacts was called Rhodhos [ in human translation the heart], it's greatlly respected by the Kirusin, no one is allowed on the surface only members of the Proconsul League. The Kirusin belive that Rhodhos is the true heart of their god the Jiherat. And their homeplanet the brain which in Kirusian is Mharadhos. They're a peacefll nation, but they don't like interspecies contacts and rather avoid them.

And a quick example on how the system looks now, it's only the begining, I'll crete a couple of planets and some moons too.

:p

Crash
10-28-2002, 10:10 PM
oh Tavi one more think, remember that we have to stick to the styles of others, be sure to make that base look similar in some way to the Copernicus Station and the fighters. :beer:

und3r
10-28-2002, 10:17 PM
These are reactors for the Copernicus station :)

http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_reactors.jpg

Tavi
10-28-2002, 10:37 PM
well its a bit hard to stay similar with space stations and stuff. there are tons of designs?? i ll try my best to stay with other ppls design but without concept drawings its a little hard.

here is an update on base....quick dirty runway map just for test...

und3r
10-28-2002, 10:45 PM
Okey :) I am gonna make a two similar stations ... till a morning (it is 00:52 our time - europe). Both will have the same hangar and one rotating palte... The diferesnce will be that in project A there will be a second smaller rotating plate and in project B in stead of the second plate there will be a solar battery (maybe more than one). So until morning I am gonna make it real .. Texturing will be tomorrow :)
So long
:beer:

misu
10-28-2002, 10:47 PM
Hi there ! I want to help your project ... I modeled a robot .. and i need some advices ...

und3r
10-28-2002, 10:51 PM
What can I say ... make it more real :) I mean a kinda metal plating and myabe some kinda torso? Adn please tell us a software :)

Amalinde
10-28-2002, 11:05 PM
that robot is sweet! how long did it take you?

misu
10-28-2002, 11:16 PM
i use 3dsmax4 ... i start last month and i work one week for robot.

Tavi
10-29-2002, 12:36 AM
here is a space station design. it is based of a drawing i found online cant read the guys name or his signature. but its his drawing.

Tavi
10-29-2002, 12:38 AM
i am not going to work on it until u guys say we should use it i dont know how u feel about using other ppls concept art. let me know

Harrad
10-29-2002, 12:42 AM
You can't take someone else's work with out there permission. first its not right and second... they could sue you.

take insperation from it.... like the shape or parts. theres a thin line between insperation and ripping someone off.

as long as its not exactly the same then its ok.

by the way-
450 mhz PIII
128 ram
3dmax 3
after effects
photoshop

next week im upgrading my system to-
2.2 ghz AMD XP
512 ram

Crash-
the story is good. could we incorperate my thing about they can hurt people with there minds but it hurts them too?

also with the planets there is a problem with orbits.

:D

Tavi
10-29-2002, 12:52 AM
thanks for the info i am going to scrap it than..

Tavi
10-29-2002, 02:47 AM
here is an update on city/base. i got turets in an missile launchers. let me know what u think i still need to add more instalations but hard to think of designs i am still thinking for a design on the controll tower. any ideas??

Amalinde
10-29-2002, 03:07 AM
right now its sort of spread out, maybe bunch everything together real tight and then start working outward keeping it pretty tight together? also i thought you had some idea for like a mine going into the ground? that could look really cool

und3r
10-29-2002, 04:19 AM
I is done .. I have 2,5h sleep so I will use it wisely :)

These are my night ...

Project A of The Copernicus

http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_new_05.jpg
http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_new_06.jpg
http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_new_07.jpg
http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_new_08.jpg
http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_new_09.jpg
http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_new_10.jpg

und3r
10-29-2002, 04:20 AM
Project B of The Copernicus

http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_new_11a.jpg
http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_new_12a.jpg
http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_new_13a.jpg
http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_new_14a.jpg

und3r
10-29-2002, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by Tavi
here is a space station design. it is based of a drawing i found online cant read the guys name or his signature. but its his drawing.

It looks good for a Pirate Station or a some kinda traduing outpost :) Cool

Crash
10-29-2002, 06:12 AM
Harrad: that would fit perfectlly, after all people are part of the universe to, so it could hurt Kirusin just to hurt other beings but there won't be such a great feedback as in case of destroying planet. About the orbits, how is it then? coz I really dunno are the suns static or does one of them move? Hmmm we'll think about it. If any of you guys know, then it would be great help tp me.
ohhh huys I just remember I have a hyperspace tunnel; ready, I'll play around with it and try to animate it, see the image below, the ship won't be used but the warp could be of use to us.
Tavi: yeah, It would be cool to use only our ideas, that way the project becomes more personal, just rip that model apart and it's going to the junkyard :).

Misu the robot is nice, needs some work though, you must tell us on which team do you want to be, and I'll get you on the list, it's on page 4.
http://www.max3d.pl/galeria/crash/vorte_ennormus_battleship.jpg

Crash
10-29-2002, 06:23 AM
big kisses for Leigh, we got a sticky guys :beer: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Crash
10-29-2002, 06:32 AM
oh guys you didn;t tell my you opinion bout my story except harrad that is, do you like it or not? Does it have some major glitches? :p

und3r
10-29-2002, 06:52 AM
Crash : I like Your Story a lot :)

And I am still waiting for an opinon which station will be the best ?

Please give an opinion :)

Meshweaver
10-29-2002, 08:09 AM
I started this mesh about - ooh 18 months ago now and I'm just never going to get the time to finish it - so here's a few renders of it as it stands now - I'm putting it up for download - if any of you would like to take it and finish it off - you're more than welcome and I await the results with anticipation! :)

here are some renders:click the thumbs
http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0001_t.jpg (http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0001.jpg) http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0002_t.jpg (http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0002.jpg) http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0003_t.jpg (http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0003.jpg)
http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0004_t.jpg (http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0004.jpg) http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0005_t.jpg (http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0005.jpg) http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0006_t.jpg (http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0006.jpg)

Meshweaver
10-29-2002, 08:10 AM
http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0007_t.jpg (http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0007.jpg) http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0008_t.jpg (http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0008.jpg) http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0009_t.jpg (http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/station0009.jpg)

and here's the mesh as it currently stands for download
DOWNLOAD NEW STATION (http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/temp/station/NewStation.zip)

Lightave 7.5 format BTW :)

Crash
10-29-2002, 01:40 PM
Fabio if you want your station to evolve you'll proboblly have to do it yourself, were all quite bussy with our 5cents on the project. Just join us, you could support the terran section or scrap the station and join the raiders :p Oh guys I made a logo for the raiders, it could be on the side of the hull of some ships, I drew this one on my german classes :p . What do you think?

KingMob
10-29-2002, 03:20 PM
hey guys, I have not read allthe post yet, but from what I saw "yowza" :buttrock:

I am going to get started on some stuff later this week, I got SUPER busy at work so I have had barely any time. I thought I had a free week, but finally got some work (woohoo) But still very much want to be involved.

BTW i saw the teams on page 4, and that sounds good, get rid of my question mark.

Here is my idea. I would like to make a terran "attack" deployment vehicle. SOmething that could carry land ships and troops from planet to planet. I am going to go read over all the posts to make sure no one else is doing this, but unless I hear differently that is what I would like to do.

BTW the pics look GREAT, and I love that robot so far. keep up the good work guys

Tavi
10-29-2002, 03:28 PM
hey und3r i need a render of the station. i want to do a jumpship i need to sww the stile u went with for the station. i want to see it render u think u can post that for me??

crash i love that ship render its kick ass.. nice job.

who is on terran side if u design any buildings let me know i need to put some on the base. i have gun turrets and missle turets there. have the runway and ship hangar done. also have a reaserch center done thats that dome looking building.

Thats all from me now wont have anything done till later on at work now. so i cant model :annoyed: but will model when i get home tonight.

KingMob
10-29-2002, 03:31 PM
btw, darth fabio NICE station.

wish I had LW.

Crash
10-29-2002, 03:54 PM
ok so we have KingMob on the Terran Team for sure, you still didn't say a word about the Raiders logo, waiting for some opinions :)

KingMob
10-29-2002, 03:54 PM
I dig it, mind if I try and rework it in vector a little bit?

I'll make it like a decal we can all use.

Tavi
10-29-2002, 03:56 PM
the logo looks good i have no objections to it.. anyone working on the teran loggo or mark????

Crash
10-29-2002, 03:57 PM
go ahead KingMob it's only a quick 15 minute drawing, so if you could improve it, then it would be cool :beer:

Crash
10-29-2002, 04:10 PM
Harrad if your out there somewhere it would be cool if you could help me out with the story of the Kirusin. Like an overview on their warpath for the past 100 years. I would be very greatfull, coz I'm planning to do the orbit of the planets, create the rest of them and start with continents on the homeplanet, maybe some cities to. :)
Tavi: only the Raiders should have a logo coz their a fraction, The Terran Federation should rather have some sort of a flag, don't u think? :)

Tavi
10-29-2002, 04:42 PM
yeah a mark?? a logo same thin thats like a flag. a insignia of some sort.?? sorry if i dint sound clear crash.is anyone working on the terran story ?? if not i can probably come up with somthing let me know.

Aearon
10-29-2002, 04:48 PM
hey nice going guys, looks very promising in here :D

i'd love to join in, but i don't really have the time right now - i'll resort to drawing some sketches for the raiders

what came to my mind first was some small space station like in Titan AE, not really a planet - but a kind of "home" made of a lot of junk and ship-parts

i'll start out with some ship sketches though, just to get some ideas for the general look

und3r
10-29-2002, 04:51 PM
Yo guys :)

Okey gimme a little time toi present you textured but still not ready station ... and I will make a logo of Terran Federation :D

Crash
10-29-2002, 04:53 PM
Under and what about the Terran Story?

KingMob
10-29-2002, 05:11 PM
ok guys heres what i have done SO FAR with the raiders logo.

Not done yet, but I wanted to show where I am going with it.

Also I am going to use something other than swords cause, it looks to much like the fottball team logo hehe

Amalinde
10-29-2002, 05:29 PM
kingmob, that logo RULES, btw i'm working on doing a raider atm, head is done and body is roughed out, i'm starting on some clothes/armour now. maybe i'll have something by tonight worth uploading. btw when you get the logo done, mind sendin it to me in eps?

Aearon
10-29-2002, 05:36 PM
looks very nice already kingmob, should fit in just nice =)

KingMob
10-29-2002, 05:42 PM
ok I got the balck and white logo done, except for lettering...As you can see I am trying to make an alien language...this is just some blobs. I am going to make a few cool shapes to use and then the BW version is done...should have color soon.

And hell no you can't have my eps :annoyed:

KIDDING, yeah I'll post black and white and color ones for whoever wants em.

und3r
10-29-2002, 05:55 PM
Hi so this is a first try with texturing.... PLEASE give some opinion ... I know that green sux in this case .. but maybe another colour? Please Tell me!

http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_t_01.jpg

http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_t_02.jpg

http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_t_03.jpg

http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_t_04.jpg

http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_t_05.jpg

http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_t_06.jpg

http://rudykot.pl/~under/copernicus_t_07.jpg

When I finish texturing I will make some cool lighting for it :)

Waitin .... for opinions.

Amalinde
10-29-2002, 06:03 PM
it looks good, texturing does need some work but first you need to bevel some of those hard edges so it will look super kick-ass. i dont have a computer with any grafx software here so i cant show you what i mean, but look at edged where there is a hard line for instance the edges on the green thingys and all around the reactor core thing. I think in max the operation is called camfer or chamfer, but i could be wrong on that. for LW go to flay.com and dowload KZ_mentory, or maybe its KW_mentory but anyways maybe ask another maxer what tool is best for that.for texturing, maybe you could make the green things sorta transparent and a light blue like they were ultra fururistic solar panels? might be REALLY cool if you modelled a bunch of wires inside the panels and made it transparent where you can see them through it? and change the black on the reactor thing to a light blue and give it some luminosity and transparency so it looks kickass. i dunno what the terms in max are for trans/luminosity, i think its maybe glow or something but anyways... oh and one more think, lower the bump map some, its a bit extreme right now

oh and please compress your pics more, they take forever to load on my poor modem :(

Amalinde
10-29-2002, 06:04 PM
hehe i thought the skull looked perfect like that

Crash
10-29-2002, 06:06 PM
very well done KingMob, Just one issue the skull looks to weird, it looks almoste like a mix of a human and a dog skull. It would be nice if you could fix that :beer:

KingMob
10-29-2002, 06:11 PM
I was going for kinda deformeed human/demon evil :buttrock:

but I could go more human if you would like.

und3r
10-29-2002, 06:18 PM
Uuuuuuuu now I see how patetic that is .. Only textures of solar batteries are ok ..

Now I have this night to spend on texturing .. that I hate the most :(

Amalinde
10-29-2002, 06:19 PM
the texturing isnt bad at all for your first rough of it, but i really think you need to get all those edges beveled, it would look a ton better.

Crash
10-29-2002, 06:41 PM
sorry, posted 2 times the same thing :p
............ERASED..................

Crash
10-29-2002, 06:46 PM
I aqgree with Amalinde you should bevel those edges, oh and one more thing guys, I'm just done learning for tommorows class, so I'm siting here with some cold beer and my mouse in the other hand, ready to rumble, it's going to be a long night :beer:
I can feel it in my bones, ready to play GOD? :)

KingMob
10-29-2002, 09:59 PM
ok I reworked it a bit.

I want it to stay stylized, so I might put a little more work into it, not much.

GOt pretty busy at work so, anyways here it is, also heres a "holograph" of it for fun.

Crash
10-29-2002, 11:00 PM
very nice KingMob I think that'll do :applause:
Today I feelt like modeling so I skiped on writing the story, and started to visulise. It's a wepon, a sonic weapon to be exact. It was put together by an agressive fraction of the raiders that became more pirate like. The hit medium sized transporters. The Oscilator is a powerful weapon but it drains a great deal of power and can fire once in 10sec. It can fire 6 times in a row at max. So as you can see, it's particulary just boxed out for now, I'll take care of the details tommorow. Goodnight everyone :wavey: .

Tavi
10-29-2002, 11:49 PM
nice crash u the man. here is a jumpship i started on, i am adding details to it but just wanted to show u guys a teaser let me know what u think.

Crash
10-29-2002, 11:56 PM
very cool Tavi, but why are the stars in the foreground? :surprised The larger ship looks really promising. Much work ahead of you, I'll have 3 free days soon and then I'll have time to write the history and finish the Oscilator

Tavi
10-29-2002, 11:58 PM
i used paint effects tool and did a slopy job of it lol... my bad next time ill be more carefull

Tavi
10-30-2002, 12:34 AM
??????

Amalinde
10-30-2002, 12:41 AM
am i the only one who always welds arms on backwards?

Amalinde
10-30-2002, 02:40 AM
heres some work ive been doing on a raider, so far he's 3 layers (having trouble connecting the shoulder pads right...) but i'll have him all one mesh when i'm done, 1500 poly atm and obviously no textures, once i finnish this guy i'll start on raiderette

Tavi
10-30-2002, 03:16 AM
nice start amalinde. but somthing doesnt look right with his face..maybe its just me.

Here is an update of the jumpship.I am done for tonigh myself need to go to sleep and hope i dream about what to add to it lol. if not u guys can tell me.

Amalinde
10-30-2002, 03:27 AM
heres a ship i did a while back, i dunno if it fits in with the look of the stuff we're doing but if yall want to use it you can.

Amalinde
10-30-2002, 03:30 AM
and a little drone thing i made a while back...

Tavi
10-30-2002, 03:37 AM
oh i was looking through some old stuff u guys want to use her as a raider chick???If u do let me know so i can tweak her out a bit more :thumbsup: :thumbsdow

Crash
10-30-2002, 06:17 AM
Amalinde: the ships are nice but I don't think they fit to either of the races, I propose to scrap them for the use of the junkyard :) . Now about the raider, the model is nice but Tavi is right, there's something about the face, personally I think it's a bit to round, like I would expect I guy with this kind of face to be actually fat.

Tavi: You don't have to dream bout the ship, just add tons of detail :p , that's what I'm going to do with my sonic osicilator :) , and the chick is simply breathtaking, wish I could model such beautiful women :drool: . She'll be perfect for a Raideret, when I'm done with the oscilator I'll build a spaceslider for her, can I?

Good work you guys, It's very inspiring, it'a a pitty I have to learn so much :cry: . I'll start working first thing after learning, bout 18:00 Europen time. Greetz

Crash
10-30-2002, 11:24 AM
Some more details on the generator for the oscilator.

Tavi
10-30-2002, 01:35 PM
you can build what u want crash for her go ahead...would love to see what u will build....

Crash
10-30-2002, 01:39 PM
ok so I'll make that spaceharley :p first thing after I finish The Oscilator and maybe a Raider Tank to it. But if you'd built some Raiders spaceships I'll gladlly remake my wepon for the use of the spacefighter. :wip: Still need more detail on the generator, maybe I'll start the tank today.

Tavi
10-30-2002, 02:26 PM
here is a test of the space fighter texture. my friend david is working on it.

Crash
10-30-2002, 03:35 PM
holy smokes, that's some preatty amazing texturing, I'll have to work hard to keep the level :) But don't worry, tonight is my night :beer:

Bane
10-30-2002, 04:17 PM
Ok sorry I was away, but I had a bunch of school stuff....and work...lalala. Anyways, when I get home Ill try to read everything that has happend in this thread, and make somthing too.... unless war3 or need for speed has somthing to say about my time usage... :)

EDIT: Ok I read most of the posts.

fist, I use max 5.0 with the test version of brazil. Im running this on a t bird 1.2 with 768 megs of ddr ram and a 64 meg ddr ati video card.

Secondly, I think I could do well on either the terrans or the raiders as far as my style is concerned. I guess Probably Raiders because there are less people there.

If somone could do a sort of recap of the important stuff...whos on what race, what are the symbols for each, what has been created so far...that would be cool. Crash, you might be the best to do that due to your high involvment. :shrug:

Crash
10-30-2002, 05:29 PM
Bane you got the list on page 4, I'll write you down to the Raiders. You could make us some nice asteroids fields, coz we'll surelly need them. The Raiders are living on a huge asteroid so you could design some buildings composed with the asteroid rock formation. We would be very greatfull :) .
Oh Tavi I'm lacking of ideas for the tank, I tryied to make one but it's awful crap, so I was thinking, your building your jumpship? right? Mind if I help you? What soft do you use? We could attach the Sonic Oscilator somewheres on the side. :beer:

Tavi
10-30-2002, 05:40 PM
you want to attach the sonic thing to my jumpship?? hmmm how about i build another ship that can cary that weapon ??? i use maya 4.

do u have the sonic gun done yet?? or maybe i can make a tank for it after i see it done ?? let me know on your sugestion.

Crash
10-30-2002, 05:56 PM
oh a maya user goodie, . About the gun, it's far from ready, I'll be working on it tonight. Hmmmm maybe I'll try to find some inspiration on the net, maybe with a little luck I'll make that damn tank :)

WHERE'S OUR STICKY?
I've noticed that the sticky is gone :surprised Why????:shrug:

Tavi
10-30-2002, 06:09 PM
i do not know crash sorry about where to dl maya.

levin
10-30-2002, 06:16 PM
ugh, is it too late to join? any areas you need people workin?

simarilius
10-30-2002, 06:20 PM
some interesting looking stuff in here folks, just a comment for crash.

you asked what the orbit of a planet in a binary system would be like, its bit of a major question really, but I'll take a stab at it.
The first thing to consider is the relative mass of the stars, as this together with the distance between them will define the shape of the orbits between the two. The eccentricity of the orbits will be a big factor too.
The possible configurations of orbits is endless, you'll probably want to either go with concentric orbiting suns with the planet at the center point, equally sized stars with eccentric orbits and a planet at the center of mass, or with eccentric orbits with one smaller star orbiting a larger one and the planet on an orbit between the two.
ie http://a52.g.akamaitech.net/f/52/827/1d/www.space.com/images/h_binary_orbits_gc_02.jpg

You could also have all sorts of funky stellar orbits which would generate planetary orbits of varying shapes but the weirder they get the harder it is to work out what the planet would do. If i remember my uni classes rightly in a binary system where the planetary mass is small enough to be inconsequential to the solar orbits it'll basically be at the langrane points, where the gravitational fields cancel. The lagrange points for the earth/sun are shown here:
http://www.physics.montana.edu/faculty/cornish/lagrange.html

theres a cool java app that lets you simulate binary stars orbits at:

http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/astro101/java/binary/binary.htm
but be warned it says it may not be too stable (i havent had any probs with it)
this allows you to play with the variables and see what they do to the star orbits.

hope that answers your question :)

Sim

all this is probably way more detailed than you wanted, but hey, you asked :)

btw, its 2 years since i studied any of this, and then we mainly did orbital science with respect to spaceships rather than planets, ie simple 2 body stuff, so i cant swear i havent made a mistake in all that somewhere.

KingMob
10-30-2002, 06:22 PM
:surprised

and on another note My ship is almost modeled, I'll post screens asap

Amalinde
10-30-2002, 06:26 PM
sonic cannons would be next to useless on a spaceship, theres no air to carry the shockwave....

and you should try LW if you dont like max, i know alot of people (myself included) who started on max and went to Lightwave.

Amalinde
10-30-2002, 06:28 PM
levin, we still need alot of help, especially on the kirusin race i think, but also some help on raiders or texturing would be good.

Crash
10-30-2002, 06:55 PM
as I said many times before, the list of people on th e project is on page 4, choose a race and tell us about your decision, I'll patch you in. I would be very glad if you could help me and Harrad with the Kirusin, as you can see making some human technology is no problem but developing new grounds for sufisticated alien technology is another thing. As soon as I'll finish the Sonic Oscilator, and a hovertank maybe, I'm back on the Kirusin.

Amalinde your right but I was thinking to add a few plasma relays to reconfigurate the weapon if needed for interstellar ships :) .

Simarilius THX for the BIG feedback, you sure you don't want to join us? Even if someone doesn't have some 3d skills. we still need people on the storyboard

KingMob: show us your work!!!!! :beer:

As I can see everybody's in for something and I think it would be time to define the story for the Terran and The Raiders, as soon we're done with the storyboard for each race, we could start merging it and develop some biger plot involving all 3 histories.
Greetz guys. And great to see such involvment :eek: :buttrock:

Harrad
10-30-2002, 07:06 PM
Here's what the outter armor looks like... just the shapes (it'll be much better that this!)

http://www.toonfreak.com/~harrad/sci_fi/armor_post.jpghttp://www.toonfreak.com/~harrad/sci_fi/kir.jpg

Thinking: APE like, strong metal. very scary. they can move very fast in it, like a gorrila running. on all 4's. but the arms can bend from the back, so the top bits stick out. (it's too hard to explain, it'll become more clear soon!)

C+C

_MAtt :buttrock:

KingMob
10-30-2002, 07:10 PM
ok, still very much a WIP but let me know what you think...btw it's not mirrored so it looks a little odd I know.

Harrad
10-30-2002, 07:15 PM
that rock;s :buttrock:

very good. Reminds me of the big ships in starship troopers.

i'm working on a story line that we could use i'll post it when i have a bit more.

_MAtt :surprised

Tavi
10-30-2002, 07:15 PM
i dont know about that look harrad but thats just me..

nice start on the ship king looking good.

crash und3r said he will do the stroy for terran as i last seen and there flag so we are waiting on him

Crash
10-30-2002, 07:26 PM
:surprised Harrad, I have confidence in you and all, but that armour just won't do :thumbsdow Sorry but I was thinking more ultra tech, seen Babylon 5? there where the Vorlons, they were pure energy and wore those mysterious armours, or the protoss in blizzards starcraft, you know higher beings, leave them some dignity, apes? :shrug: :p But it's good you showed us the earlly stages, that way there won't be no useless work :beer: . Work on some new armour, I'm done learning now, and I'm going for the cannon :bounce:

Harrad
10-30-2002, 07:33 PM
well its not a waste. cos i've done some sweet drawings, and i'll finnish it any way (for my personal colection).

I only ever saw a few B5's. i'll look on the net for some pic's. I'll see what i can do...

Crash: look at your PM

und3r
10-30-2002, 07:34 PM
Man that Rox tavi :D .. I have a request .. so You made a ship .. is there a posibility that You can send me materials? ... I would be grateul we can make all similar then :)

Tomorrow I am having a vacation so I will be away for a while :)

Tavi if you can send it on under@rudykot.pl

Thx

KingMob
10-30-2002, 07:35 PM
has anyone done a "terran" mark (Like the raiders) yet? otherwise I would like to do one.

Harrad
10-30-2002, 07:42 PM
Crash-
i was looking at some babalon 5 pictures, and i found one of the ships from the vorlons...
http://www.marith.demon.co.uk/graphics/babylon5/vorlonss.jpg

You total ripped it off.

:shame:

we can't use it!
:annoyed:

Tavi
10-30-2002, 07:49 PM
hey guys lets not start finding evrithing we do that it looks similar like somthing else cause i am shure if we look good enough we will find evrithing has been copied or looks similar to other stuff even movies rip one another off.

king go fo it make the terran mark i want to see what u come up with ..

und3r what materials do u want the texture???

KingMob
10-30-2002, 07:50 PM
hehe in that case I ripped off star wars (most likely), starship troopers and nasa ;)

We all have out influences.

levin
10-30-2002, 07:56 PM
i read the storylines and good you got this thing going
these are my suggestions...

the story is lacking one big element. EVIL. the raiders are not evil, terrans and kirusins are not as well. since they are all "good" i suggest there must be an event that would force them to remove the social walls between these races.

the kirusin story is great, and this might fill the spaces in the story. An subtle entry of another group of dark entities begin mysterious onslaughts on the kirusin and terran federation. disappearance of life on cruisers,stations, planets occur. No witnesses are left alive; only rare security cam shots of dark shadows passing over every lifeform . this both happens to the two races. the terrans are threatened and they send fleet to probe. in their voyage they stumble upon the closed doors of the kirusin race. and their conflict begins, each accuse the other as the cause of the mysterious attacks and a war ensues.

levin
10-30-2002, 07:57 PM
the raiders watch from afar, trying to get on with their business. they make a sneak on the kirusin planet to steal some valuable sutff and learned more about the culture. they get caught of course. they are dismissed as spies. the leader of the raider group ( whom i suggest to be the lead character of the story) is reminded of a similar artifact to Rhodhos which his team encountered in their scavengings which he has in his asteroid home. They somehow gained their trust and return to the astroid world to retrieve the artifact which turns out to be the other half of Rhodros. I it is a translation of a rare Guardian dialect (which was never taught to the kirusin), something like the Rossetta stone.

The kirusin discover that the guardians are eliminated by the mysterious dark entities that has been plauging the universe for years, once the universe was full of life and not as empty as it is now. They have been waging war with it since the beginnings of time. At some point in time they have found the ultimate weapon to destroy the DARK. But the DARK is at their heels and to prevent the power of the Guardians to be absorbed by the DARK they run to their second option. light, which eliminates darkness is a very powerful antidote so they fuse the whole of their race to form The STAR. This solution saves the entire universe, and holds the DARK at bay... for a certain time...about 100 years (in crash's timeline).

The kirusin discover that they hold the key to the ultimate destruction of the DARK. but they must cooperate with the terran. they have some thing the raiders and kirusin dont have. of course they team up and defeat the DARK.

Harrad
10-30-2002, 07:57 PM
Yeah i know that really all anyones ideas are really just little bits of every thing you've seen.

And they are space ships and so they will look similar. to take a bit off a real nasa ship and mix it with a starwars ship. and take and alien that looks like it was from starship troopers is ok. but to take a whole ship. and then tell me to make the alien look like the alien from B5, who's ship it was in the first place!

i just think that we could all be more creative and make something that's our own! any one can copy an idea. but to make something new, thats what's good about doing something like this! It's not like we have a dealline or producers/directors breathing down our neck's.

Sorry if this all comes across a bit negative.

"happy happy joy joy" :D

levin
10-30-2002, 07:58 PM
What that thing is, i really have no good ideas, maybe the inherent light of the kirusin ( which is a premium kind of light; if you can offer some scientific explanations it could be a good choice, maybe it has more mass and energy than ordinary light). the thing that terrans have can be something on their planet like water or plants or some kind of mineral... i really dont have any good ideas about this. or just think of some other connection that may force them to cooperate.

As for the DARK, i'm thinkin of arachnoid/bug form a la zerg or starship troopers. and a BIG MIND THING that controlls them. and they're gaseous and black, black holes are THEIR means of travel. it sounds too babylon5 (shadows) i know maybe we could thinkof something else?

its ok if you guys think its crap. at least i tried.i spent 1 whole hour thinking and writing about this crap though.

levin
10-30-2002, 08:00 PM
other suggestions:

crash: the timescale. 100 years is a very short time. 100 years ago we already had television. and the kirusin are just beginning?

about the kirusin:
i would suggest you add some tentacles or extra limbs to make them mory jelly fish like. they look to human if they're bipeds. maybe their armor could be biped and the inside has more tentacles for control?

overall design: the different races should have specific styles that would contrast the three... well the terrans have a present-day look much like our military vehicles right now (in terms of style but higher technology), the raiders have a more post-apocalyptic look, the kirusin woul have streamlined aerodynamic smooth transluscent light ships.

Harrad
10-30-2002, 08:01 PM
good idea....EVIL is so much better....

I'm going to carry on with my "ape" men and make them in to the DARK. Pure evil... mmwwwoooharrraahahaha.... yes...

I'll keep you posted.

levin
10-30-2002, 08:07 PM
Ok I'm in with the KIRUSIN guys.

i'll make my quick version of a kirusin entity, be posting soon...

i' ll also try an armor and some ships in the future

pls tell me if you think my plot is crap.

simarilius
10-30-2002, 08:19 PM
How about a race of jovians? based off Jupiter. they dont have to have originated there it could just be an outpost.
The majority of planets discovered so far are huge gas giants ala jupiter so a race which is used to the huge gravity and dense gas atmospheres would be quite cool. It would also excuse the fact no one had spotted them as once you get into the atmosphere of something like jupiter you'd be pretty well concealed.
they'd have to be pretty squat and stout due to the gravity, and would need suits for the atmosphere, so those ape like things harad has designed might be pretty good and they would make pretty good bad guys.

btw harad, I dont see that much simarility between crash's and the vorlon, other than tentacley like bits and a glowing core.

Crash
10-30-2002, 09:01 PM
ok first of all Harrad I'm mad :D wrrrrrrr About the babylon, the last time I saw any episodes it was about 3 years ago. Then I didn't even know what 3dmax is so I really don't like you accusing me of anything, I didn't rip those ships and about the Kirusin they just reminded me of the Vorlon from babylon, when I wrote the Kirusin story I didn't even remember that there's a film as babylon 5, so any similarities are pure coincidencial. I made those models about 1,5 year ago and the ship with the warp in the background isn't going to be used, the ship with the nebula on the other hand will be, and there are going to be very drastic changes done to it. Jizas I hate it when someone tells me I riped my models or textures, or anything else, everything I do is mine, and it's hard work.

Levin it's a very nice story you got there, we'll get Und3r and the three of us will write the whole story if nobody minds that is.
Oh one more thing Levin, it's about 2150 now so the Kirusin had their time, and remember that they have found the ancient scripts.

Simalirius: Nice thinking, oh and since the Terrans are in a new sector it could explain much. We could presume that there was a great unknown cataclysm on earth [the evil guys from jupiter] some humans were able to fleed and now they're spread across the universe.

KingMob
10-30-2002, 09:05 PM
btw do we have a whole terran story, did i miss it, this thread gettin big hehe.

levin
10-30-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Crash
ok first of all Harrad I'm mad :D wrrrrrrr About the babylon, the last time I saw any episodes it was about 3 years ago. Then I didn't even know what 3dmax is so I really don't like you accusing me of anything, I didn't rip those ships and about the Kirusin they just reminded me of the Vorlon from babylon,

i don't think we have to be too overconscious about looking too original, evrything is inspired from everything...

Originally posted by Crash
Levin it's a very nice story you got there, we'll get Und3r and the three of us will write the whole story if nobody minds that is.
Oh one more thing Levin, it's about 2150 now so the Kirusin had their time, and remember that they have found the ancient scripts.

250 years... and boosted tech... yeah i forgot that .
right on just tell me when

Amalinde
10-30-2002, 09:32 PM
i dont think he was accusing you of copying the model (well maybe he was) but still lets try to give people the benefit of the doubt, both ways so next time maybe point out they ships look similar? but yeah i think he said something like you totally ripped it off but anyways lets just try to be a little more careful on that, ive had people say my stuff was ripped (and even accused of using poser models...) so i know how it feels but lets not start something over this....

Sorry bout my incoherent ramble...

about the plot, i like levins ideas alot! and btw i have to write a 5000 word essay on continuing education due tommorrow so anyways i not do much tonight i think....

and about copying stuff i think yeah we dont need to be like insane looking for similarities, but on the other hand we dont want a USS Enterprise or a whitestar or a thunderbolt sitting in the scene either...

KingMob
10-30-2002, 09:34 PM
so much for my fleet of tie fghters...damn.:p

Crash
10-30-2002, 09:36 PM
KingMob: no Terran story yet. Und3r said he'll take care of it.
OK my todays work, so there's this guy Will, he's with a small scavenger group that lives from trading scavenged stuff for food. Will is a very talented mechanic, he can turn almost anything into a weapon, friends call him 'Wrench' . One day he found this strange vechicle, there was this disc hidden in it, it said that it's some ancient museums delivery for some rich guy. He figured that proboblly some of his breatherin devasteted the delivery ship. In a few weaks he mixed the vechicle with some other components.
And here's the effect world war 2 sonic tank :p

Amalinde
10-30-2002, 09:37 PM
oh and one other thing, sheesh this thread is getting really huge, maybe we should consider setting up a irc chatroom for this so we can bounce ideas around faster and just post update pics and major plot changes etc here? but on the other hand this is cool cuz anyone can just jump right in and read everything and join us, but yeah anyways i think we need somewhere to talk faster than over bbs and also sooner or later we will need somewhere to start dumping models and textures and scenes when we start putting this together, cuz most textures will be way over the 50k limit and its a pain to try email everyone everything and then people lose it and need it again and not everyone has webspace and its a pain in the ass to look thru the thread to find where the hell that raider gun you needed was uploaded to and........

another incoherent ramble but i'm burning my dinner so ttyl

Amalinde
10-30-2002, 09:44 PM
coolio tank crash, you might want to put something on the starbord side of the tank tho to balance the weight of the big sonic thingy otherwise it might fall over...

i want a fleet of x-wings not tie fighters king! so we make the kirusin really jedis with jacki chan kungfu and matrix mind abilities flying a massive fleet of super star destroyers! erm on second thought maybe not.... this thread is doing wonders for my post count!

Crash
10-30-2002, 09:48 PM
yeah I guys your right Amalinde, but then again the cannon is very heavy :p

Amalinde
10-30-2002, 09:54 PM
i guess the base is pretty heavy, but it still looks funny! but maybe you could make the cannon pop out of a little hatch? like sort of swing out from the top like it would move from _ to | if that makes sense? and put a similar device (maybe a radar for tracking airvehicles) on the oposite side with a similar hatch? just a thought

Tavi
10-30-2002, 10:11 PM
ok i am done with the jumpship/attackship i am going to start thinking on a soldier type guy or make another ship???

Oh here is an idea. i was thinking of making an asteroid that has been changed by the terrans and its like a base. it has jets and it can refuel ships and stuff and suply them right off of it ??? what do u guys think like a spacestation in an asteroid??? tell me what u think before i start on it

Crash
10-30-2002, 10:15 PM
Show us the finished ship Tavi. You could make that asteroid base but..... it's rather reserved for the raiders, we wrote about that already, The Raiders are living on a major asteroid, the most of them. That's my opinion, I dunno how it looks with the others. And by the way what do you think about my tank so far? Lots of details to be added. Oh Tavi It would be nice if I could use your Raideret for the tank, coz I'll proboblly won't have the time to make a spaceharley for here, I'll be to preoccupied with The Kirusin. What do you say? :surprised

KingMob
10-30-2002, 10:21 PM
ok, this aint done yet, but it's in the direction I am thinking...I got super busy at workso had little time for anything.

MY ships almost done to.

lemme know

Crash
10-30-2002, 10:24 PM
Is it for the terrans? looks very alienish :) Would rather fit to the Kirusin but I daubt they would be the kind of guys that mark their ships with signs. Very nice, you have a tallent with logo images :beer:

KingMob
10-30-2002, 10:28 PM
yeah i like hwo it is, but I agree...to alien, I am going to try and take what I got and look at some army/navy logo's etc, and then combine em...I guess you could call it a sketch of a logo ya know?

adn thanks!

btw you vehicle is cool as hell!

how do you get the greebles to look so good. That's waht I am working on now.

Tavi
10-30-2002, 10:33 PM
crash your tank is looking good but how does it move??? if u want me to send u the chick i can, let me know??

here is some pics of the jumpship with thexture it will lokk alot better.

Tavi
10-30-2002, 10:34 PM
another one

Crash
10-30-2002, 10:58 PM
KingMob: you just have to spend some time on the greebles, try to make them beliveble, like there were here for a certain reson, that's quite easy, you just have to spend much time on it :)
Tavi: How does the tank move? I dunno, tracks or hover, for now I'll be bussy with adding some more details, some seets for the people and onboard computers. But I guess It'll be a
antigravitic-tank, that way it'll be more futuristic and easier to animate. Like
I said lots of things to do like some radars, or the shield generator, far from end. OK that's it for today I'm going to sleep, see ya guys. :beer:

Harrad
10-30-2002, 11:07 PM
Crash- didn't mean to start off that whole thing. it was just that one pic (the blue one) that looked like it. All your other stuff is really good. i think it came across a lot harsher than i ment it to be! :D
Sorry for acusing you.
and every one is right bout the coping things. hell even i do it. its just its better to take small bits and then change it so its your own.

never mind... lets forget about it.

I think and iRC would be good. as this is getting a bit big.

Harrad
10-30-2002, 11:13 PM
we really need to come up with some tech note. so each races stuff is in the same area.

also a list of who's who races, planets, tech, history, good/evil.

i'm going to work on the "EViL DArK".

Crash- do you still want the purple men for the kirusin?

Crash
10-30-2002, 11:17 PM
We'll wait Harrad, Levin wrote he'll make something, we'll see. Your right about the writing everything down. Maybe someone can make us a fast site ? just that everybody could post information what are the doing, bits of history and stuff. Then someone would segragate it. I could do the spliting, ho can make the page? :shrug:

KingMob
10-30-2002, 11:19 PM
and my ship is almost done, sans some detailing, texturing etc...but almost.

I will spend time on greebles then...doh. I was hoping it was a plug in (that was a joke hehe)

Harrad
10-30-2002, 11:26 PM
king- that is sooooo sweet!

crash- I can get some web space. and i can make a simple page... i'll see what i can do.

any ideas for site names? as it has in include every race.

Crash
10-30-2002, 11:27 PM
Plugin :bounce: hehe that would be nice :thumbsup: there's one plugin called greeble but it's very limited, just simple objects. If you want real greebles you have to work your ass of :wip:

Crash
10-30-2002, 11:32 PM
oh KingMob there seems to be some strange deformation at the rear docks of your ship, can you fix that? [smooth it out] The whole ship fits perfectlly to the ships Tavi made. :thumbsup:

KingMob
10-30-2002, 11:32 PM
actually that is going to be reworked alot..I should have mentioned that.

It's very basic. I am either gonna make girders surrounding it, or do some more intense shape...not sure yet..soon we will see...any ideas?

Amalinde
10-30-2002, 11:48 PM
maybe call the site playing god? or hrm on page 1 or 2 there were a bunch of ideas of what we were going to call it.... anyone know how much work it is to set up an irc? if its not real hard i really think we should do it

Amalinde
10-30-2002, 11:49 PM
oh and what is a greeble? nice ship king!

Amalinde
10-30-2002, 11:52 PM
ow and one last thing, king mind uploading your raider logo in eps?

KingMob
10-31-2002, 12:01 AM
Ok I can help with a web site, but I have no server space, I do websites for a living so I think I could be of help there.

IRC is easy, let's say, dal net #playing-godCG as the channel

I can post the eps, at

http://www.spherefineeyewear.com/skull.zip

and umm thats it. heh

And a greebles is those tiny details that make vehicles and such look real, for some reason.
Like boxes, pipes springs, wires etc.

Harrad
10-31-2002, 12:07 AM
king- that should help then. i'm sorting out the server space right now.

i've got some ideas for the site. i can do stuff in Director if that's any good (shockwave).

KingMob
10-31-2002, 12:17 AM
shockwave is cool, but I say we keep this site SUPER simple right now, once we have a better direction we can come up with a theme site, I think this should be just something clean, HTML that any of us can update as we go.

Just my opinion tho.

Other wise it would be me and you doing shockwave updates for everyone (ugh)

Harrad
10-31-2002, 12:20 AM
yeah simple for now....

maybe a logo or 2 but thats it....

we can always make it better laterz....

on the IRC don't we need another bit?

Amalinde
10-31-2002, 12:23 AM
yeah i agree with king, like a simple site like 20k or less so its just fast and easy while were doing dev work, later we can start rendering and putting together some cool site. what would really be the most usefull thing right now would be:

tech/history charts
and especially a way to upload files which are sorted into a list of some kind.

i think you can get a cgi script for this free somewhere, but hrm its been long time so dunno where it was.... try google maybe if your interested

Amalinde
10-31-2002, 12:31 AM
hrm, one other thing, i can help with the site if needed, i do html pshop and (some) flash5. its been a long time since i did web stuff tho and i really dont enjoy it so much as 3d but if you 2 need any help i can try.

EDIT:

i'm on dal net, channel playing-godCG atm if anyone wants to join, prolly will be on for a few hours

Mondo
10-31-2002, 12:50 AM
Well it took some time to read this thread, but let me say it was well worth it. I think this is great idea and I'm overwelmed and amazed on how many talented people are participating in the project. But with every great idea there comes a bunch of flaws.

One major flaw seems to be the lack on organizational skills here. You have to be organized to make a project of this gigantic proportion actually work. I suggest you guys find a leader. If i were going to choose i would say Und3r ( since it's his idea to begin with). The models that have been shown so far a great but they're confusing. und3r you need to sit down and draw or get some one else to draw some simple designs of each of the races. These drawings should constist of a BASIC ship, world and character design for each race. This will give each modeler a basic idea of what the models should look like and will keep a consistency though out. You should also apoint some skilled modelers/texturers to sorta supervise the others. You need to choose supervisor for each of the following: 1 super for Set modeling, Character modeling, ship/vehical modeling. This will make the models look CONSISTENT!!! For a massive project like this it would be a good idea to get a private ftp server and webpage going (It doesnt have to be fancy). This will allow people to upload / download models and also browse a web page to keep them informed on updates and to see who's working on what (so people dont work on the same models). It would also be a good idea to get an instant messenger. It will save a lot of time and confusion in the long run.

Another flaw is the lack of ORIGINALITY!! The idea you have is vast and there's a million different things you can do with it, which is good. But i can't say that about some of the models i have seen here. If you look at great scifi tv shows/movies their styles are all different which makes them so great. Star trek ships dont look like star wars ships, as star wars ships dont look like babalon ships. Each show is unique, and so should this project. I dont mean to pick on some people, but for instense Tavi's raider chick model. The model is good, but is obviously copied from BlackBox Entertainment's ( A Vancouver company) character modeling test design. I dont think Blackbox would appreciate you using their designs. ORIGINALITY IS THE KEY to any project succeeding.

I dont know i think this project is an awesome idea and i cant wait to read an see the updates on this thread. I took some time writing this post and i hope people will take some time to read it and maybe follow some of my ideas. You guys have a good thing going and i hope it keeps goings. Peace out for now.

Tavi
10-31-2002, 12:54 AM
huh whats dal net and how do u get to the channel???

Tavi
10-31-2002, 12:58 AM
well mondo i know i used that for refrence.... thats why i said if we want to use it i have to tweak her.. but thats a good point.. plus i didnt model her to the teath and i dont think she looks exactly like her.

KingMob
10-31-2002, 12:59 AM
I think you have some very good points here.

We do need someone to just becoem the team leader and keep everyone on track, and we do need some more originality, I think a team leader would help that grow tho.

I actually started building mine from picture of aircraft carriers, and a star destroyer in mind. But it is becomign VERY star warsy, which is hard to stray from for me. I will try and keep this in mind in the future.

If you guys want I can draw some stuff for the terrans for us to folow, but since we have a good start I will try and keep it in this realm. as for the others, I would love to play with those to, but I am not on those teams...anyways I think you have a lot of valid points.

Anyways I am hungry and tired so my day is over. See you freaks in the morning.

Amalinde
10-31-2002, 01:00 AM
tavi:

download MIRC from www.mirc.com, install it and open it up, when it asks for your name etc type all the info in and chose a dal net server, then hit connect, wait till your connected and click the channels folder button(its the 3rd one at the top of the screen) find playing-godCG in the list, highlight it and hit join,

Mondo, thanks for your insight, i aggree with most everything you said and atm were working on getting organized, remember this idea is like only 5 days old! but we working on getting some space to cram our models and organizing our teams atm, at least i think we are....

Tavi
10-31-2002, 01:23 AM
amalinde i cant see the channel ??? and i cant seem to conect to channels??

i have aim or msn user name is tavi1978

Harrad
10-31-2002, 04:11 AM
woommmoohaaaaa..... sweet little IRC thing going on at the moment, kind of got a bit mad.

heres a little logo test.

Forget about the evil DArk i think they have been killed off.

http://www.toonfreak.com/~harrad/sci_fi/logos.jpg

Amalinde
10-31-2002, 05:14 AM
ok, well king harrad tavi and i managed to meet in irc tonight, we talked about alot of stuff and unfortunately king had to leave early, but tavi harrad and i managed to come up with plot for the raider faction's history, in brief here it is:

The world was ruled by a military controlled government imposing strict obiedience to all rules. Deviation from the rules brought harsh punishment. Any who opposed the government or its policies were rounded up, imprisoned, stuck on a ship and sent off to a prison asteroid, the ship crashed and the terran guards were killed. The raiders who were left alive raidioed the terran military that they needed help, pretending to be the guards. The terrans sent rescue ships and some fighters but the raiders managed to capture the ships. Knowing the terrans would investigate the mysterious disapearances, they send distress calls back to the terrans pretending there is some weird anomoly in space there. The terrans never heard from the rescue team again and mark the territory as unsafe for travel. The raiders took the terran ships they captured and begin to pirate an outer colony. Soon they start covertly building up a military and colonizing some planet unknown to the terrans while continuing to pirate terran freighters and small outposts. They swear revenge against the terran government.

Now some time after this, probably a few years at least, our story takes place. We wanted to wait for crash to discuss how the kirusin become involved, and also make sure the rest of you approve this story so far.

We also talked about alot of other stuff, mainly setting up a website for the project and what features we would need for that. ive attached a log of the whole conversation, but its really long so only read if ultrabored. theres alot of idle chat, but some good ideas in there, especially concerning the raiders and terrans.

Amalinde
10-31-2002, 05:19 AM
we'll add some details later if you guys approve of this plot, also we need to decide what kind of project were making, a game is way to much for us right now i think, but a short could be cool. anyways we can talk about it later on irc. theres directions for logging onto our irc room somewhere in this thread.

Crash
10-31-2002, 05:22 AM
Sweat story, but I disaprove on them inhabitating a planet, I would rather stick to the thought that there's very small quanity of liveble planets. Let them stay on asteroids, that way they'll get more charisma, fightning for survival, serching for a home, you know what I mean? About the mIRC, on what server are you? DALNet? I tried that one but I can't connect for some reason :shrug: . I'll try to finish up the tank today, jiz I'm fast :p Those overworked nights will kill me ;) Cya guys, I'm of to school, I have an exam today, wish me luck :beer:

CAClark
10-31-2002, 10:34 AM
Some of the spacestation bits you were building there look very similar to the back end of the B6 station I built:

http://www.cg-domain.com/xfer/babylon_6_2a.jpg

http://www.cg-domain.com/images_projects/Untitled44.jpg

Cheers

Craig

Crash
10-31-2002, 12:01 PM
we didn't built ant space station, and the one in here isn't going to be on the project. oh and btw I noticed similarities too but didn't wanty to waste thread space for debates :surprised

CAClark
10-31-2002, 01:02 PM
Waste space for what? I was just makign an observation about some wireframe pics I was looking at, ease off dude.

Some of the ship designs are way cool, seems to be lots of cool stuff being made.

Cheers

Craig

Crash
10-31-2002, 01:10 PM
ease off? I was just saying that I didn't want to envolve me in the subject, I guess you misunderstood me :p Cheers :beer:

CAClark
10-31-2002, 01:27 PM
*L* I did misunderstand you I think :) Please accept my apologies.

Cheers

Craig :beer:

Crash
10-31-2002, 01:32 PM
nice station you got there, have you tried to model some ships of the vorlons or the shadows?

CAClark
10-31-2002, 02:08 PM
Thanks.

I was thinking that the other day actually, I have quite a few B5 ships for download on my website, and fancied doing the more organic ones........ might have a go during my dinner breaks at work :)

Cheers

Craig

Crash
10-31-2002, 02:40 PM
update, just created the kitchen oven :p Nah just kiding, it's a shield generator for the tank, and it beside it's main purpouse it helps to balance the tanks weight :) What do you think guys?

Crash
10-31-2002, 02:41 PM
and the other side:

KingMob
10-31-2002, 02:50 PM
hey wow, lots of stuff today, sorry about leaving early, I had company, and what not.

I like the asteroid Idea to btw, oh and how do you guys model ships? polly's or nurbs or what? just wondering, since that ship I made was my first ever hehe.

I should have an update soon.

Swebal
10-31-2002, 02:53 PM
Ok this is as gooda place as anyto make my first post, if you're still accepting people I definately want to be in to help with the modeling, I have mid lecel experience of modeling and use maya, I have plenty of ideas that seem to fit in with many of the great designs already posted, with the aid of other people I think I would easialy be able to follow them through to a completed model.

I love many of the ideas and designs so far posted and I think it's coming together really well.

Crash
10-31-2002, 02:54 PM
I use polymodeling, some bevels and meshsmooth, but rarelly :p

Tavi
10-31-2002, 03:22 PM
I use polys and nurbs. and itergrate them as i see fit..swebal u can join us...

KingMob
10-31-2002, 03:24 PM
mine just looks so ...poly hehe.

But I fixed it up last night, I will post pics when I get a chance.

Crash
10-31-2002, 03:29 PM
Swebal , which team do you want to join?

Swebal
10-31-2002, 03:52 PM
Cheers for accepting me.

I should have soemthing to show for myself by tonight and I'll post it up here.

I'm not really sure, I guess I'll have to see how the design fits in

Theta-Dot
10-31-2002, 03:55 PM
I am interested in conributing. Email is ThetaDot@hotmail.com

I did a ship a while ago. It's here: http://www.angelfire.com/dc/baker3d/media/CV_G300.jpg

Crash
10-31-2002, 04:04 PM
Theta dot: what do you mean by conributing? And what's that logo that the link was to?
Swebal: allright, I guess you could be on th Raiders, as you can see I'm doing a sonic tank for them
:) . Oh guys I wanted to ask you if some of you has an idea how should the antigravity gondols look, coz the tank is going to hover, I decided so coz it's easier to animate and devours less polys, not like the tracks, the left polys I can use on more details, now the tank has about 32k faces, do you think that's much? So if any of you has any ideas on the gravitic gondols then I would be very greatful. I'll work on the Kirusin story today. And about the mIRC meetings could you visit #3dsmax coz for some reason I can;t join dalnet and therefor can;t join #playing godCG :shrug:

Tavi
10-31-2002, 04:18 PM
well crash it all depends on how many things we will have in the scene but poly count shouldnt matter since we can render in layers so i dont see a poly limit onn stuff as long as u dont waste them it should be good....

also meeting when and on what channel on mirc i ll be free later on in about 5 hours or so at work now

ctach u guys later :wavey:

Harrad
10-31-2002, 04:48 PM
Crash that logo is cos hes on anglefire, and they are arseholes that don't let you link in to an image. you'll have to load it from his page.

Try a few differnet Dal net servers, some are better than others. i got in using a games one.

Tavi- what time are you on? i'm on at the moment (really, durr?). and will be on late tonight (uk time)

One thing that we were talking about last night was that if we get 7 of us. (the 6 so far, and we'll pick one more) to be a deciding body. we'll vote on all the major ideas. so its fare. as if there is tomany people it'll just get ugly.

crash, i want to say sorry angin about that babalon 5 thing, as last night when we were trying to come up with ideas. every thing that we can up with... after a while started to turn in to a different movie from, titan AE, starwars, judge dredd, starshiptroopers, demolition man. :rolleyes: (hides under desk)

swebal i'm trying to talk to you on the IRC... LOOK AT IT!!!

Still no news on the webspace (i'll keep you posted)

KingMob
10-31-2002, 04:54 PM
man, I can't get on dalnet either, apparently they witched a whole bunch of stuff around, just keep trying and you should be able to get on.

As for this whole Babylon 5, lets put it to bed, maybe we just need some concept work before we model heh.

anyways on a lighter note, my alarm at the office just went off, cause when my friend left he set it, and then I stretched like 30 minutes later and it went crazy, scared the crap out of me, but made me realize how still i sit while I work hehe.

Crash
10-31-2002, 05:08 PM
hmmm so if tyhe dalnet isn't working could you try visiting #3dsmax?

KingMob
10-31-2002, 05:16 PM
on what server? efnet?