PDA

View Full Version : Animation Session 13 - Sound File - July 3 > August 3

SheepFactory
07-04-2005, 04:18 AM
Hi Guys ,

Time for the new Animation Session:

Animation Session 13 - Sound File - July 3 > August 3

What to do: Attached is a sound file from the movie Back to the Future. Download that and animate your characters to it.

Rules: You have one month to finish the animation. Other then that anything goes in this session.

You will need to submit the following milestones:

- Planning thumbnails

- Blocking

- Revision

- Final

- Final submission needs to be quicktime sorenson or WMP cinepak encoded 640 x 480 movie file. Prior submissions can be of lower res to minimize file size.

Please create a thread like the following when you enter under the animation session forum:

Your name - Animation Session 13 - Sound File

You can ask any questions you have about the session in this thread.

Soundclip:

"wait a minute....wait a minute...doc! are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a de lorean?"

Doc: " The way I see it , If you are gonna build a time machine into a car , why not do it with some style?"

Happy Animating!
-Ali

csDevil
07-04-2005, 06:01 AM
1- can I use standard rigs ou i must rig my own chars?
2- can you write exactly what is said in the sound? if I get something wrong, my animation will be ruined.

SheepFactory
07-04-2005, 06:11 AM
1)you can use prebuilt rigs , you do NOT have to model\rig new characters.

2) done , added to the main post.

Aceroner
07-04-2005, 07:17 AM
does it have to be rendered and textured also?? or greyscale?

HieSpike
07-04-2005, 07:56 AM
I don't think you have to do anything Aceroner. But the more work you put into it, I'm sure the better it will be! This sounds like fun, let's see what I can do.

SheepFactory
07-04-2005, 08:23 AM
does it have to be rendered and textured also?? or greyscale?

Either one is fine , do not concern yourself with textures and rendering , this is a animation challenge. Once you finish the session you can go ahead and finish it by texturing and rendering but i recommend focusing on the animation for the duration.

Lee3dee
07-04-2005, 08:27 AM
this should produce some awesome animated pieces. I have some ideas, I'm not very good at the whole animation timing, so this will help me alot. :D

AmirP
07-04-2005, 08:41 AM
I was waiting for another one :) I'm just hoping ill have time to work on it, Good luck to everyone :thumbsup:

shuggie
07-04-2005, 11:43 AM
To me the dialogue sounds like "do it with some sytle", but the word "with" is kinda breathless.

Chris Bacon
07-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Is ANYONE aloud to take part in this.......

tuna
07-04-2005, 01:18 PM
of course :)

InAction
07-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Anyone yes, I'm even thinking of joining myself. :)

Edit*
Btw, I think he says "Why not do it with some style?!"

Chris Bacon
07-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Cool Im going to give it a go.....looking forward to seeing everones....

edit
I notice people are posting there names in the previous thread.....whats that about

tuna
07-04-2005, 01:48 PM
what thread

Chris Bacon
07-04-2005, 02:24 PM
http://cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135

tuna
07-04-2005, 03:59 PM
In that forum?

Please create a thread like the following when you enter under the animation session forum:

Your name - Animation Session 13 - Sound File

Headless
07-04-2005, 04:23 PM
What happens if you animate straight ahead?

Personally I don't tend to do thumbnails or blocking. I mean i'll plan, but not in that way, then when it gets to the computer I just animate and if there's a problem I fix it or I start fresh. It seems a little unfair to have to conform to that workflow.

Thoughts?

CGRoman
07-04-2005, 04:32 PM
hi,

if i got ali right, then its basically the same like the 10 Second Club (http://10secondclub.org). right?

bawhabmw
07-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Soundclip:

"wait a minute....wait a minute...doc! are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a de lorean?"

Doc: " The way I see it , If you are gonna build a time machine into a car , why not do it in style?"

I think the end of this is wrong. Doc says "Why not do it with some style?". I haven't looked at a script but that's what I'm thinking he says. Oh and count me in on this. I'll see if I can do it on some off time. WOO HOO!

|Benno

SheepFactory
07-04-2005, 07:48 PM
What happens if you animate straight ahead?

Personally I don't tend to do thumbnails or blocking. I mean i'll plan, but not in that way, then when it gets to the computer I just animate and if there's a problem I fix it or I start fresh. It seems a little unfair to have to conform to that workflow.

Thoughts?

Thats the way every professional animator works and thats what this session is about. If you want to join you have to follow the rules.

SheepFactory
07-04-2005, 07:50 PM
yes he says "why not do it with some style" sorry for the mistake on my part , just checked the subtitles.

Obraxis
07-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Hey sheep, great session!

Any chance of another sound file from the movie? Just I've seen a number of people on CGTalk have done that one in the past.

If not, it's still cool :)

Headless
07-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Thats the way every professional animator works and thats what this session is about. If you want to join you have to follow the rules.
Ok, that's fair enough. :)

SheepFactory
07-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Hey sheep, great session!

Any chance of another sound file from the movie? Just I've seen a number of people on CGTalk have done that one in the past.

If not, it's still cool :)

Nope just one soundfile for this session.

gorillapanse
07-04-2005, 10:25 PM
hey guy's....
this time i'll join the challenge... let's see if my technique is appropriate...

good luck to all ya...

SheepFactory
07-04-2005, 10:39 PM
hi,

if i got ali right, then its basically the same like the 10 Second Club (http://10secondclub.org). right?

yes , this session is. Though unlike 10sec club cgtalk session themes are different each time and not always about animating for voice clips.

Milho
07-04-2005, 11:36 PM
So great, another animation Session, thanks in advance Sheep.

Im actually so busy but would love to join just to test my XSI|Foundation I got and barely used. Say does anyone know a good character/rig (besides the included XSI Rigs).

:bounce:

alona
07-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Say does anyone know a good character/rig (besides the included XSI Rigs).

:bounce:

Try this one:

http://www.xsibase.com/tools/skeletons.php?detail=1122

It's darn good, in my opinion.

jjjazzz
07-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Hi,

I'm french lead animator (on TV series) and I need some little explanations to be sure...

Can you explain me :

_blocking

_revision (do you mean retake on some parts of the animation ? )

Thanx

Tibo (pronounced teebo ;-)))

SheepFactory
07-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Hi,

I'm french lead animator (on TV series) and I need some little explanations to be sure...

Can you explain me :

_blocking

_revision (do you mean retake on some parts of the animation ? )

Thanx

Tibo (pronounced teebo ;-)))

Hi Tibo ,

By blocking i mean going in and setting up your key poses in a stepped key fashion so we can easily tell whats going on.

revision is pretty much doing passes on the animation afterwards to refine based on the critiques you get and whatnot.

Reason I do this is mainly to encourage people posting their work at all stages and not just at the end when its done and we cant offer any critique to that.

hope you join.

Wabit
07-05-2005, 06:58 PM
I was wondering if itís okay to animate before and after the audio clip time frame? - Just to give the animation some sort of bracket rather than the eye heading straight into the movement.

SheepFactory
07-05-2005, 07:04 PM
sure you can add frames before and after.

RobW720
07-05-2005, 10:11 PM
i know these probibaly sound like stupid questions but i have a few.

I want to participate in this, but i dont know how to upload videos to the web. places to host the videos. what compression to use all that.

is it better to do a right click save as, or a streaming vid or what would be best.

i suppose thats my biggest issue. i eventually want to make an online portfolio of animation stuff, but i gotta know how to put the stuff on the internet.

thanks guys

jjjazzz
07-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanx Ali for the lightning on rules. That's what I've understand but Iwanted to be sure !

For the way to download video, I'm interrested too to know how to proceed.
Me too "Back to the futur" is one of my favorite film and Doc E. Brown was my better physician teacher when I was teenager.

I'll try to do something (it's my first challenge), but I actually work on the last episodes of a TV serie and time is... money, so I hope having enough... time to animate on this sound and having all critize !

I'm in a hurry to see other works !

Let's start...

spannungsbogen
07-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Can i rip my own sound clip from a DVD source and add/edit the part before/after the clip used?(there would be no editing for the part required in the session)

SheepFactory
07-07-2005, 04:58 AM
Can i rip my own sound clip from a DVD source and add/edit the part before/after the clip used?(there would be no editing for the part required in the session)

I am not sure what you mean. you want to use the dalogue before\after the soundclip?

Sanghoon
07-07-2005, 06:41 AM
Hi Guys ,

I am in for this challenges.

but one question...what's "Lorean"?? I couldn't find it from dictionary

RobW720
07-07-2005, 07:35 AM
its a type of car. prety rad car might i add. look it up on google image search or something. found one on ebay for like thirteen grand. man, wish i had thirteen grand to spend on a car that cant go over 85mph

Evolution
07-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Quick question, for the planning thumbnails, do they have to be sketched or can you use very simple 3d renders for planning the scene even before the charaters are modeled?

spannungsbogen
07-07-2005, 04:22 PM
I am not sure what you mean. you want to use the dalogue before\after the soundclip?

I want to use a higher quality version of the current Clip and maybe had more sound after and before, to make it longer. Maybe cut from other part of the movie add them after and make a completly different story.

SheepFactory
07-07-2005, 06:09 PM
I want to use a higher quality version of the current Clip and maybe had more sound after and before, to make it longer. Maybe cut from other part of the movie add them after and make a completly different story.

no you cant do that , everybody has to use the same clip.

RobW720
07-12-2005, 05:56 AM
anyone have an answer for my question? it would be mighty appreciated

jakiloblanco
07-12-2005, 06:51 AM
Hey Rob, I think you either have to have webspace... I bought mine, but I konw there's all kinds of ways to put video online... try doing a search here on cgtalk, you might find some answers.

I know I've seen clips that people put online through free video hosting, but I can't remember right now..

good luck!

d_jnaneswar
07-16-2005, 08:50 PM
hi people..
Not at all sure wether ill be able to turn this in.. but i will give it a shot...
I dont have a scanner handy... can I start with my blocking instead of thumbnails??
thx.

DiegoFloor
10-18-2005, 01:09 AM
I would love to participate on this! I'm studying animation. but I'm still too disorganized. gonna try to do that, but not participate.. on this one! hehe :]

dalmanna
04-03-2006, 11:19 AM
is it all 3d or is 2d cool too? just asking coz it would be a good practice i'm 2d rusty these days:D

Obraxis
04-04-2006, 01:45 AM
Attack of the Killer Zombie threads!!!

http://darknessdescends.envy.nu/images-4/zombie.jpg

dangermouse
04-04-2006, 02:52 PM
damn, it took ages for it to dawn on me that this was long dead, i got so caught up in the excitement of an animation challenge :(

i guess with the recent re-organisation this found it's way back to the surface.

does anyone have any plans for starting up another animation challenge? i'm only starting out, but i would definitely take part!

dalmanna
04-04-2006, 04:13 PM
lol i didn't spot it being dead either well until the zombie got posted.

musashidan
04-04-2006, 07:30 PM
does anyone have any plans for starting up another animation challenge? i'm only starting out, but i would definitely take part!

I'm thinking the very same also.For a forum so large with so many members why on Earth the lack of animtion challenges??:shrug:

dalmanna
04-05-2006, 07:51 AM
I'm thinking the very same also.For a forum so large with so many members why on Earth the lack of animtion challenges??:shrug:

gotta say i've wondered that too. guess most animators are doing the 10 second club one. would be nice to have something here though.

Wabit
04-05-2006, 08:54 AM
I totally agree, infact I even suggested why donít they release a DVD containing some of the best animations to go with all the books they publish. I cant understand why animation is overlooked here when so many of their featured artists are animatorsÖ the mind boogles!

markovicd
04-05-2006, 10:28 PM
mmm... animation exercises! great! ... i wanna animate :) lets get this forum back on his legs?

dangermouse
04-06-2006, 06:11 AM
i'd start some kind of something myself, bt but i am a REAL beginner when it comes to animation, but if anyone else wants to start up some kind of thread, i lend my full support

CGTalk Moderation
04-06-2006, 06:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.