PDA

View Full Version : Another question, Poser?

mdunakin
07-04-2005, 02:29 AM
Am I going to want to purchase Poser also for Vue5I?
Oh, and of course, will Poser be of any use with most of the jobs I do these days,
which are mostly medical animation.

Thanx......................md :)
P.S. And yes, you can tell I'm really getting excited about getting my own copy of Vue :)

mdunakin
07-04-2005, 08:59 AM
7 views, but no replies yet?

Hmmm,,, is there a reason for this?
Like, do I really want to get this program?

thanx..............md :)

Mike.H
07-04-2005, 10:54 AM
well vue and poser do work realy well together, so if you already know that you´re going to use alot of humans in your render/animations poser/vue is most likely going to be a very nice and fast solution for you.

Even if you´re doing your own human modelling, i would still say that you could make use of poser since it´s easy and fast to set up early drafts/storyboarding of your scenes/animations thanks to the integration between poser and vue, and if you dont do any human modelling on your own i would say that then poser and vue is a must have.

the one downside right now is that since poser6 is quite new e.on and frontier is still working on getting everything in place so there are still some minor issues with poser6 and vue(compared to poser5 and vue) but it works and it works real well so in my opinion, go for it, it´s a great timesaver.

Wabe
07-04-2005, 02:01 PM
How about trying out? There is a demo available at e-on. Tell us what you think after testing, would be interesting to hear!

richcz3
07-05-2005, 06:59 PM
The minute someone mentions Poser, people run for the hills. :D
Reality is, use what works for you. A majority of commercial/medical/industrial clients don't know one application from another and when productions costs are a driving concern, using Poser models are a good starting bet. I could go on a good ramble, but I'll stop there.

As for Vue and Poser, from what I cave been reading the newest version of Poser imported in Vue 5 can cause some stability problems on some systems. E-On is working on it.

mdunakin
07-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Ok, well, first thanx for the replies and next, I'll just put a hold on the Poser bit till later.

I'm going to have my hands full enough, soon enough.

Cuz today I finally get to order my Vue 5 Infinite.
So, no, I won't be trying out the demo Wabe :)

Can't wait to order! :)

Gotta get these bills paid first, THEN I get to order.

................md :)
Oh, and I get to order my tablet today also, heh heh :)

Wabe
07-05-2005, 08:24 PM
I think the major problem when importing Poser characters to Vue and any other application are the high-res textures that some characters does have. Usually bitmaps of 4000x4000 pixels.

You can simply calculate when any systems get into memory conflicts when dealing with this amount of information. Thats why i follow the work of DBurdick at Renderosity with such great interest. He is working on skin procedural (or minimum mixtures of those with low(er)-res bitmaps) materials and it looks VERY promising already.

Tablet- Wacom tablet maybe? On my Mac i have some issues with that in applications like Cinema 4D, Poser, Vue etc. So i normally use the normal mouse there, not the tablet. But we knew already, too many tablets are not good for our health anyway!

BazC
07-06-2005, 09:55 AM
"Thats why i follow the work of DBurdick at Renderosity with such great interest. He is working on skin procedural (or minimum mixtures of those with low(er)-res bitmaps) materials and it looks VERY promising already."

Is that a skin procedural for Poser or for Vue? I'd be very interested in a skin shader for Vue and I'd be very interested in how he's gone about it. Is there true sub-surface scattering in V5I? or is he faking it? - Baz

Nevermind! I found some of his posts at Renderosity, it looks very promising!

Wabe
07-06-2005, 10:09 AM
It is a procedural shader for Vue so far. But when i understood it correctly - the newest updates - he is working on a combination. For Vue and Poser.

You can have a first look, he published some free shaders for Vue in freestuff at Renderosity already. Try it out.

BazC
07-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks a lot!

Mike.H
07-06-2005, 12:25 PM
yep the skinshader for vue is looking very promising and spits out some realy nice quality stuff even at this early stage.

Dale B
07-06-2005, 12:50 PM
At the moment Vue5I doesn't support true SSS; that, and blinn and phong shaders are on the wish list along with a particle system and more complete Python implementation. The nice thing about Dburdick's work is that you can either specify a base color in vue, or use a lo res texture map as the base.

mdunakin;
Poser would be excellent for medical animations, with a few caveats.
1) You have to deal with the Kai Krause interface. If you've seen Bryce, you know the style.
2) Due to the kind of spherical fall off zone that joints have (and the current lack of softbody dynamics), you have to deal with joint issues at times (mesh fractures at extreme bends mostly).
3) Most of the human figures used in Poser have quirks or shape that can be readily identified as one of the 'Poser meshes'.
4) You will have to do a little bit of shop and search. Individuals do their own thing, but the incorporated content creators (mainly DAZ3D) have a real phobia regarding anatomical correctness. And that is for the adults. There are 3rd party solutions, but require a little work to be acceptably accurate. And some of those aren't accurate no matter what you do. Caveat emptor.

That said.
a) It's an excellent tool for animating pre-rigged content. The dope sheet and graph editor are easy to use once you wrap your mind around -how- they did things. If you need things like softbody dynamics it isn't capable (although there's a growing chorus to update the rigging system), but for what it is, it does its job well.
b) The content available is basically staggering, and priced to make places like turbosquid a joke(reference the $100 basketball; a sphere prop with a texture map. That same C note can get you a couple of human figures with accessories, or a lot of other things).
c) There is a (slowly) growing pool of biomedical applicable content. The aforementioned DAZ3D has recently released a muscle texture map for their flagship meshes and properly scaled conforming skeletons for same. They also have another skeleton mesh with a fully articulated spinal column. Others have released fully articulated wheel chairs, accurate crutches and lower leg prostheses, etc.
d) Many of the content creators (those with a multi-year track record) are amenable to contract or custom work. Or giving a waiver if they have a non-commercial use clause in their EULA for credit in return.
e) Avoid any threads out there that contain the fatal wording 'but is it art?' or 'Is Poser any good?'. Unless you are in the mood for a good catfight.... :p Stripped of the rhetoric, the arguments boil down to 'Rare filet mignon!' 'Waxy yellow build up!' in their coherency and relevance to each other....

ArtGuyJoe
07-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Here are a few links for you to look at:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=3329

http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=3050

These are the skelton and muscle maps that can be found at DAZ 3D. Since you are a doctor, I figure you might want to take a look. :)

mdunakin
07-06-2005, 05:48 PM
OK, here's the scoop.

I'm spending enough loot already on Vue and a Tablet,
so I can wait for Poser, if I really think I need it later.
Most, if not all, of the medical work I've done so far,
I've modeled myself anyway, and anything that looks likeit might be
something too complicated, I can just order it and bill it into the pricing somehow.
I've seen some sample anmations, like the transparent walking man.
but really, most of these medical type jobs are more spefic anyway and need
special parts/areas of the body and really not the whole of any one thing.
Like it might be some bone work or blood work, like hearts or viens or something
else too specific that really I don't see poser doing that much for me. And I already
have several fairly good humanoid figures and such anyway, though no where nearly
as good as the $10,000.00 dollar man, that I'm sure some of you already know about.
That thing would be worth spending the money on, just to go out and get jobs with it.

So, I think the main thing I would want Poser for might be for Vue and that's about it.
or at least for now that would be about it, as like I say, I can order anything I might
need for anything I can't model myself, which I think I can model almost anything if I
felt like it, though a lot of things it's best to just spend the loot, as time is money :)

Thanx all...................md :)
P.S. Vue has been shipped and it's on it's way!
(I think I've made mention of this about 20 times already, but I can't help myself)
The first thing I plan on playin with, will be the Eco System.

Ed Bittner
07-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Mark,
See my other post on your Compositing thread. I sometimes use Daz objects in my stuff, cuz quite frankly, I don't always have the time to build my own assets. I personally see nothing wrong with that, but as was previously stated, the mere mention of Poser sometimes starts a flame war.
E.

mdunakin
07-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Ha!, yeah, that very last part cracks me up, because you are SOOooo right!

I've seen those wars before, and they're always messy, and I was
always glad I wasn't in the middle of it somewhere LOL
But then, i personally could never see ANYTHING wrong with using whatever premade
objects and such that are out there, for whatever you need them for?
Though I "do" see where some people take offence to someone creating a scene and playing
it off as though "they" created the whole thing, when in fact, Poser created psrts of it.

But for things like jobs, hey!, who gives a rat's a.. well, you get the point LOL

Anyway, I appreciate your input on this subject, and "I'm" not
afraid to admit if I use Poser objects :)
No body complained way back when, when the only human object
on earth was that Humanoid, which I still have AND use.

.................md :)

Wabe
07-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Regarding the arrival of Infinite - never forget to push the populate button! As in real life!

CGTalk Moderation
07-06-2005, 07:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.