PDA

View Full Version : Tablet Size?

mdunakin
07-04-2005, 02:27 AM
I am looking into getting me one of them tablets for drawing textures with,
but I'm a bit lost on just which size would be best to work with?
I think??? that the size for me would be the 6x8in tablet, but I can afford the larger size,
if it's absolutely better, but I sort of don't feel I need that large of a tablet.
I'll of course, also be using it for working within LW too :)

Thanx..............md :)

T4D
07-04-2005, 04:24 AM
I got the mid sized IN3 wacom
thinking i didn't want my whole desk take over by it
But after you start using it, YOU''ll move things around for this thing !
GET THe BIGGEST ONE YOU CAN AFFORD !!!
the largest one was only $150 more then for mid sized one

I wish i got the biggest one

Happy with what i got, before i had a cheap O tablet,
Wacom IS the pro level very nice tool in everyway.
but next time I'll know :)

coffeefery
07-04-2005, 05:45 AM
After reading Timothy Albee's book on using 12 X 12 Wacomg tablet for his work, I decided to go for it too. Like what T4D said, it sure takes up a lot of space on your table. But then, when you start doing your work/project, you want absolute freedom in moving your pen without being 'boxed' into a space, right? That's where the "bigger is better" concept comes to play. The 12 X 12 (biggest currently) will allow you a lot of freedom without having to move your tablet, or your pen (the way you move your mouse) when working. Plus, Wacom tablets are fully customizable: you can choose the tablet/mouse mode, the acceleration/mouse speed, tablet size, etc. So if you do feel the size being too big, you can just 'downsize' it to your preferred size. Just to let you know again, it does take up a lot of table space :D

P.S. Some people prefer the mid-size ones. It's all up to your way of working.

mdunakin
07-04-2005, 07:24 AM
Hmmm,,,, OK, thanx guys for your input.

Then I think I'll go with the next size up, which is something like,,,, ummm,,
Hang on, let me check their web site out.
Ok, it's the 9x12 size that I'm looking at.
It's 499, which I can afford.
So, does this one sound right for me?

I may also want to order that extra pen that's an airbrush type pen, as I work a LOT
with the airbrush tool for loads of my texturing and such, in DP3D and PS.
Here's the link to the one I'm interested in:
http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/9x12.cfm

Sound right to you all?
Sounds right to me :)
As for desk space, I'm not really worried, as I already DON'T have enough desk space
for ANY of these devices, BUT!, since they say you can "kick back and relax while
you work", I figure then that's just fine with me, as I can deal with that just fine.

Let me know what you think of this choice?
I'll be ordering three (I think???) things this week.
One is Vue 5 I and the tablet and I'm debating ordering Poser.
What do you all think of me ordering Poser?
I think that I would want to use it in conjunction with Vue?
As well as, I do quite a lot of medical work, and think that I might be able to
use "some" (not all, or even most) of some of what they have to offer that "look??"
like they'd work great for "some" of the medical jobs, but I am not sure?

Thanx for the inputs here.................md :)
Ummm,,,needless to say, I finally got paid :)
Still money owed me, but this'll due till then.

Freak
07-05-2005, 05:11 AM
I have had a 12x12 Wacom for many years, (6 or so) and i refuse to use Photoshop or Modeler without it, I simply refuse to model without one....

But i have to say the 12x12 is large, and i would honestly go for a 6x8 next time....
I find, it annoying drawing with my whole arm, rather than just my wrist or hand..
You can set the size of the actual tablet size in software, to make it only use 6x8.
But i'd without doubt go for a smaller version, next time.... for that reason.
(And i believe i will be adding a new wireless 6x8 soon)

I will also say this, i'm afraid i'm a mutant Freak, because i can feel small concentrations
of EMF's (or what i presume them to be) and Tablets cause what i term as "Bone Ache"
it's a really deep ache, that feels like your'e bones are aching....
(Mobile Phones do the same thing to me, not to the extent of the tablet though)

But for me this means after around 20mins of usage, my whole arm aches....
rather than just the wrist, because my arm is usually resting on the tablet....
(And i won't mention, how that can you nerveous when you sit the tablet in your lap!!!) :)

Most people don't have to worry about this however, but for me, it's another reason, why 6x8 would be a better option..... From the clients i showed my tablets too, all of them bought 6x8's because it was too big for them... (Yeah all the girls say that too! ;)

And apart from tracing, A3 type prints i can't really see the need for the extra size,
in hindsight...

T4D
07-05-2005, 06:05 AM
havn't used a air brush myself, but have read it's a waste of space afew times now.

the mouse is cool tho I don't uses it all the time, I got one of those 8 button mouse better for CA work.

I have poser 5 i pull content only out of it
Daz studio is come up pretty well Converting to that myself
if you havn't got daz try it and then see if you need poser.

mdunakin
07-05-2005, 07:26 AM
Well, since I posted this thread up, I "have" changed my mind.
Now am going to be getting the 6x8, as seeing how my style of drawing,
clear since I was a kid, has always been for the smaller areas.
I mean, that even if I draw a large picture, I "work" in smal areas,
and I feel that the 6x8 eill work far more better for me.
So, that's what I'm going with.

Anyway, thanx for everyone's input................md :)

DMack
07-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Strange....I got an A5 wacom but for general use (including animation) I fond it too big....So I've set my size to around A6....Probably a bad idea for RSI issues but I found moving my whle arm around a bit tedious......SO others...do you really use the full A5 size for general use....I might have to try it again?

Zarathustra
07-05-2005, 03:28 PM
I just thought I'd add my weird experience with a tablet....

I had OLD CRTs and apparently they were emitting some kind of interference that messed with the pen and tablet. The result was if you held your hand still you could see the cursor shake.
Talking with Wacom tech support, it seems my experience isn't as unique as you think. They recommend keeping some distance from the monitor but that wasn't an option for me. Luckily now, I have LCDs and there is no problem with the pen and tablet anymore.

coffeefery
07-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Hi, Zarathustra. Regarding the 'cursor shake' experience, I have it too, even though my CRT monitor wasn't too old yet. To remedy the problem, I switched my screen refresh rate from 75 hertz to 85 hertz and my cursor never shake anymore. I could use 60 hertz too, but then, my screen does flicker a bit, and I find that annoying (although 60 hertz are easier on the eyes when reading text). With 85 herts, my tablet is right in front of the monitor and it works fine :)

P.S. I use an LCD screen too. They're good on both text and the tablet's cursor. The only bad thing is its color scheme, which is totally off from either the CRTs or prints.

Zarathustra
07-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Interesting. Wacom didn't say anything to me about refresh rate. Their help was, "move the tablet away from the monitors" which is hardly what I call tech support but hey, the tech support was free and I wasn't talking to someone in India so you take the good with the bad.

I rarely do work for print anymore. If it was my main medium I'd probably stay CRT or spend 3x as much as I did for a more color correct LCD along with a calibrator.

Regardless of your medium, a tablet should be as mandatory as your desk and chair. Drawing with a mouse is just awful and even for the mundane actions, it's much easier on your hand and wrist. Trust me, it will catch up with you one day. You don't stay young and immortal forever. :D

One last thing - specialty pens. The bad thing is you spend the $100 or so on an airbrush pen and then if you ever get a newer tablet the pen won't work with it. Wacom is pricey and I'm surprised no one ever emerged with a comparable tablet that was as good.

mdunakin
07-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Hmmm,,, I'm running a CRT Flat screen style monitor (with those screen wires) right now!

I hope I'm not going to have any issues like you all here have mentioned with the cursor shaking and all?
And, I'm running mine at the Default of 60hz!

I didn't even think you could mess around with changing settings for the monitor, on things like the 60hz?

Ummm,, anyway, I guess I am curious "now" since someone brought it up,
but with even the 6x8 size that I'm wanting, am I going to be having
to move my arm all over the place just to use the thing?
Cuz if that's the case, I'll go for the even smaller version, as I
don't feel like working my arm that much or my wrist/hand.

And no, I won't waste any money on any extra pens,
as I've been told that it's a waste by others as well.

In any case, right now, Amazon is practically giving away the tablet I want,
as they're 68 bucks less then the sale price at Wacom right now!
I think it's like, $329 at Wacom and only something like $281 at Amazon.
(normally, I think it's about $349)

and thanx guys for the input..........md :)
glad I don't always jump into buying something to quickly.
oh, and my Vue 5I is on it's way, heh heh :)

Bytehawk
07-06-2005, 09:32 PM
I also thought smaller was better for me. That was until I got to try the bigger one. As soon as I could I upgraded to an A4 tablet

I love my tablet
http://users.skynet.be/bytehawk/grabs/tablet.jpg

mdunakin
07-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Well, "you" sure have THEEEE awesome setup there, there's no dought about that!
Killer system/setup!

I just placed my order with Amazon and got a great deal of $281.00.
I decided on the 6x8 as I feel this will serve me well and also, I simply
don't have that kind of desk space I see that you have, WOW! :)
Flat screens and a cable router and everything!

Well, I didn't let my system setup have a chance to see
your killer setup, or it would of gotten jelous LOL

Anyway, thanx all for the inputs and I think I'm going to be the happy camper :)

I'm happy with the size of it.................md :)

mdunakin
07-06-2005, 09:49 PM
BTW, helll would freeze over, before my desk ever got as clean as your desk top is.

Frig!, are you working in a "clean room" or something?
There's soooooo much flippin dust in my place, that it's pointless
to even try and keep things as spotless as your work area is.
My appartment is just tooo damm dusty, no other way to put it.
And the ONLY way to keep it cleaner then it is, would be if I dusted
ALLLL the time, everyday! LOL
And "that" isn't about to happen.
My neighbors tell me their rooms are dusty like mine too, so at least I
don't feel so badly about it, as there's just not much you can do,
when there's always tons of dust coming in from outside here.

Umm,,, anyway............md :)
P.S. I "do" keep a can of air here, to at least "try" and blast the dust away.

Bytehawk
07-07-2005, 12:35 AM
clean, yep I like clean.
i tend to clean up between jobs. I just finished the last one yesterday. Heh you should see my desk and walls when i'm in a crunch... Also a little out of neccesity, i got dust alergies so no carpets or lotsa paper or stuff like that around my workplace

Dual screens, well that's something I wouldn't live without. These are only 19 inchers though.

that cable router is neccesary because I also have this laptop I can use when it gets too hot indoors. I get on the terrace and have some LW fun in the shade. It's also a cool way to backup your projects. Every time my main pc finds the laptop it synchronises my work directory.

Once you get the wacom i'm sure you won't look back. It's just easier to hold a pen than a mouse. Only layout needs a mouse from time to time. Size does matter. It helps with precision. The smaller the tablet the more precise your hand movements need to be.

mdunakin
07-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Thanx for the reply, and yes, I would of wanted the larger sized tablet, but I'm dissabled enough as it is, and have enough problems just sitting here at the computer, much less having to move my arms more then I could put up with.

Just using the mouse gets on my nerves rapidly.
Luckily for me, I'm ambidextrious, so from time to time,
I can switch the mouse over to my left hand and
work just fine with that hand as well.
Glad I forced myself to be both handed way back when I was in the third grade.
I can write with both hands and sign my name with both hands as well as do a fair
amount of artwork with both hands, though I tend to do most things right handed.
I can even write backwards with my left hand, better then my right hand, for some reason.
Probably, because I just copy (mirror) what my right hand does.
But, it comes so naturally to me, I barely notice anyway :)

But, that's why I was glad when they finally invented the both handed mouse.
And I don't even have to bother switching the controls to work for my left hand,
as I can deal with it being backwards (the buttons) on the left, without much problems.

And in any case, I think I'll be happy with the 6x8 tablet, don't you? :)
I draw small and always have.

Ummm,,, too late now anyway....it's on it's way now LOL
......................................................md :)
P.S> BTW, I don't have much choice about the dust around here,
it just comes into the house CONSTANTLY and trying to keep up is a joke.
And I HAVE TO have the fan on ALLLLL the time, or I roast,
and that fan just adds to the dust problems.
Uhg.

Bytehawk
07-07-2005, 09:01 AM
I'm sure it will be just fine for you. Please keep us informed when you finally get it.

coffeefery
07-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Hey mdunakin, no worries on getting a 6x8 tablet :) You will be happy with it, I'm sure. Plus, if you do travel quite a bit, bring that 6x8 would be a much, much better option than bringing the 12x12 :P (I can't do 3D without a tablet now, so I always have to carry the 12x12 if I go overseas, which is really a pain)

By the way, Bytehawk is right to say that the bigger the tablet, the more precise it is. But again, if you don't do a lot of digital drawings, it won't really matter that much. The 9x12 or 12x12 are great when you do lots of drawings that require precision. It also helps if you use a dual monitor settings.

As for the having to move your arm too much because the tablet is too big, there's always an option for making the size smaller on your wacom settings. It may seem to contradict why do we get the bigger size in the first place when we set the settings to a smaller on. The 2 main reasons I can give advice on are: 1) it helps a lot when you use dual monitors, and 2) when you use 'mouse' mode instead of 'tablet' mode, the bigger size won't 'box' you in, thus you feel more freedom, as if you're really painting on a canvas.

Bottomline: go with the one that you like :)

ThirdEye
07-07-2005, 11:07 AM
nothing smaller than A5 and nothing bigger than A4 is my advice

mdunakin
07-15-2005, 08:04 AM
Well, I finally got my Wacom Tablet in this morning.

Got it connected up this evening and so far it's really cool.
I like the fact that I can adjust everything with it, like if I don't feel like using
the whole size of the pad area with the pen, then I can set it to a smaller size
if I feel like it, which is nice when you don't want to move your arm all over the
place and you can set it back when you need the extra space for better detail
and more control if and when it's needed.
The 6x8 size ended up working out just right for me and
fits perfectly on my desk right next to my keyboard.

Tomorrow I'll test it out with LW and see how it does, as I've
already wasted half the evening away playin in PS with it LOL

Thanx for the advice and all that to those who gave it.
And yes, I actually "am" getting used to using the pen pretty fast.
Pretty much felt kinda normal, really.
I was using it a lot like a mouse for other things besides just PS.
Which, I have to admit, did seem a bit strange at first, but after a short while,
I just forgot about that I was using a pen and just kept on using it.

..............md :)

T4D
07-15-2005, 11:19 AM
very cool :thumbsup:

the mouse is pretty cool too But it does feels alittle odd as well
it moves relative to the table
where a normal mouse it relative to the direction your holding it
Odd at first but it's a pretty good to mix thing up abit

once you uses a Wacom you'll never go back :buttrock:

architook
07-19-2005, 04:48 AM
6x8 here. Larger is always bigger, but desk space defines the limit.
If I did more hand-texturing, I'd get a massive desk and the biggest Wacom. It's almost worth making a special "texuring workstation" that's only used for painting, you don't need a fast computer so you can reuse one of your old retired boxes.
Of course none of us have space for such luxury!

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2005, 04:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.