PDA

View Full Version : renaissance artists and cg?

GunninYoda
07-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Hmm what do you guys think if michelangelo had a computer and a program like maya and photoshop what do you think he could of done or any of the other renaissance artists do you think their work would look average compared to some of the great cg artist of today?

ThirdEye
07-03-2005, 10:19 PM
do you think Pelè would play average if he used a new ball and a new pair of shoes? :rolleyes:

ashakarc
07-03-2005, 10:33 PM
The question is what are the unique qualities of these renaissance artists that made their work timeless? If these qualities persist as ingredients for success in our age, then the medium and tools are irrelevant.

Michaelangelo's genius has nothing to do with marble, chisels and brushes. His work stand today even greater, as these qualities in his work stood the test of time.

Today, you are talking CG, this term will not last more than few decades more, and the whole notion of computer graphics will be a thing from the past.

Oh, and Pele would have loved playing with a new ball and new pair of boots when he was young :)

paperclip
07-03-2005, 10:35 PM
I imagine using a wacom and PS would be much easier than spending over 7 years painting a masterpiece upon a ceiling, using a notoriously difficult method of painting...fresco...you can only paint a bit at a time and it must all be done before the paint dries.
Having said that, I would love to see what he would do with the tools available now. He'd probably have a field day.

GunninYoda
07-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Yes I see exactly where you guys are coming from but based on a creativity point and some of the stuff these guys put out today im not convinced that they could produce a "masterpiece" in this day and age.

ashakarc
07-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Yes I see exactly where you guys are coming from but based on a creativity point and some of the stuff these guys put out today im not convinced that they could produce a "masterpiece" in this day and age.
Why are you not convinced? some explaining would be helpful !!

GunninYoda
07-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Why are you not convinced? some explaining would be helpful !!

alot of their art is based on observation.......and thats not exactly "Creative" im not sure that a realistic cg would be viewed the same way as a "creative" cg piece

NOT TAKING AWAY FROM HOW THEY DEFINED ART UNTILL EVEN THIS DAY

ThirdEye
07-03-2005, 10:57 PM
alot of their art is based on observation.......and thats not exactly "Creative" im not sure that a realistic cg would be viewed the same way as a "creative" cg piece

I seriously recommend to study that part of art history, probably the most important period after the classical one. It seems your ideas about it are quite confused.

ashakarc
07-03-2005, 11:07 PM

NOT TAKING AWAY FROM HOW THEY DEFINED ART UNTILL EVEN THIS DAY
Nah..there is alot of confusion in your argument. Observation is the foundation of most mental activities that relate to the visuals in this world. Creativity, is one of these mental activites that require higher levels of cognition and judgement. How can you reduce creativity as a result of mere observation. Anyway, I think there is another misunderstanding about "realistic CG" and whether it is an outcome of a creative process or not. If you mean by that the literal imitation of nature, then, you might have a point there, but non of those renaissance artists, architects copied nature on their canvases in a literal way. Have you seen the statue of Moses? Have you seen the Mona Lisa? Do yo think these works copied reality?

I think, you would have a lot of fun reading this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_history).

GunninYoda
07-03-2005, 11:09 PM
Wow im not even going to argue with someone that I look up to like you third eye i think your stuff is amazing and can only hope someday to achieve your level of greatness!! on the other hand monalisa's eyes fowling me is boring and id rather look at your stuff!!! so i have a bias on old pep art and like whats coming out today alot more thanks to the power of the mind and the cpu and wacom tablet etc.................. well please disregard my comments on this subject a little ignorant on classical art and i hope to see some good discussion from you knowledgable folks!

CGTalk Moderation
07-03-2005, 11:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.