PDA

View Full Version : How to make a nice big jellyfish and animate it?

jontz71
07-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Anyone have an example of a nice big jellyfish that looks real?? Also, how would one animate it?

Softbody dynamics??

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jontz71

what_happened
07-03-2005, 10:38 PM
You might want to look into using RealFlow to animate the tentacles. It has this awesome "Fiber" emitter that you can apply to selected points of your model. Basically model and animate the body, export it to RF3, select your points and apply the fiber emitter. Animate the fibers using all kinds of parameters, then export to LW again, setup your scene and render. I dont know if thats the answer your looking for, but RF3 is perfect for something like this. Very realistic tenticles.

I dont have an animation of this right now, sorry, but I do have a test render.

rickycox
07-04-2005, 05:09 AM
You might be interested in the Jelly footage here for reference purposes
http://www.endorphin.com/stories/qt7.php

madrenderman
07-04-2005, 08:13 PM
model it simple, add a nice transparent gradient based on edge, some gradient edge luminosity effects, then model tentacles like 2 point polychain, and add flabby free plugin to animate body of jellyfish, then add cloth dynamic to 2 point polychain with low gravity, then animate it.
model a second jelly fish, more complex, and using cage of first jelly fish, and animate high res jellyfish with FX_metalink that link previous animated model to this high res models.

VirtualFM
07-05-2005, 04:20 AM
I did a test on some Jellyfishes about a year ago. When I was starting to like the way it was going some other matters required my attention and never touched that animation again!

Here is the last preview:

Jellyfish Test (http://virtualfm.planetaclix.pt/Alforrecas0001.mpg)

This was still done with LW7.5 so I used Motion Designer. Nowadays I would have probably used polychains and cloth/metalink like madrenderman sugested.

jontz71
07-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Hey your test render is awsome!!! I am pretty new at modeling. I am more of a compositer and still learning alot.

Would it be possible to study your Jelly fish LW file??? If not, no biggie, but would you know where I could start to learn how to build it like you did and animate it?

Appreciate your suggest Manderman, but I am still learning and would understand your directions much better by a sample file or by another example. Any chance of that?

Thank you all for your responses.

Flux71

VirtualFM
07-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Would it be possible to study your Jelly fish LW file??? If not, no biggie, but would you know where I could start to learn how to build it like you did and animate it?

Thank you for the compliment. It looks Ok the first time we see it, but it you let the animation loop you'll see it still needs improvement.

I looked around and I don't have this project on the computer anymore.. It's probably on a Backup CD, but have no idea where! I just had the animation available because I usually put frames and animations on a separate disk.

I can tell you the modelling is nothing special, if i remember correctly I started with an Half-Sphere and then beveled those tentacles, and the thing in the midle as well. The movement was made using several morphs and synchronised them with the physical movement of the jellyfish. Then created "Fix" Parts for Motion Designer (so that just the tentacles were moving) and tweaked the settings. The texturing had weight maps as controlers for transparency ans translucency, Gradients for reflection etc, the works. I don't remember if I used the Interference Shader for those color reflections or not.

Hope this helps!

jontz71
07-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks again for the quick response. This has given me encouragement to give it a shot.

I might be back soon with more questions ;)

Thanks again,

Flux71

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2005, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.