PDA

View Full Version : rigging? polys, subds?

rawgon
07-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Hi everyone, im new to Maya, and have a question, i want to model a simple character in polygons do a rig, paint weights and use blendshapes to make extreme poses look good. my doubt its about using subdivisions, if i use them do i have to rigg, paint weights and do blendshapes with the model allready converted to suddivisions? and if so, i know subds are quite heavy on viewport, is there a way to use a polygon version of the character to animate faster on viewport?

Thank you in advance for help, its really important, im a 3dsmax user, and really want to make a move to maya:D

Kriz
07-04-2005, 03:10 PM
I prefer to have a low resolution polygon model that is wrap deformed to a subD model. Just create your simple polygon model, duplicate and convert to a subD version (should give you a great looking higher res subD version with the base mesh the same as the polygon model), then use a wrap deformer so the polygon model controls the subD model. You will get great performace animating the with polygon version and you can render the high quality subD version. Gnomon has some great skinning DVD's that goes over this whole process in detail.

M.E.L.
07-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Hi everyone, im new to Maya, and have a question, i want to model a simple character in polygons do a rig, paint weights and use blendshapes to make extreme poses look good. my doubt its about using subdivisions, if i use them do i have to rigg, paint weights and do blendshapes with the model allready converted to suddivisions? and if so, i know subds are quite heavy on viewport, is there a way to use a polygon version of the character to animate faster on viewport?

Thank you in advance for help, its really important, im a 3dsmax user, and really want to make a move to maya:D

Why not just stick to poly's in the first place? That's pretty much your best bet to be honest, subd's are rarely used anymore and when they are, it is mainly for modelers to block in the form and then convert to a poly mesh.

Go poly's, you'll find it way easier :) Also, wrap deform = nasty idea... try to avoid those at all costs ;)

-s

MikeRhone
07-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Go poly's, you'll find it way easier Also, wrap deform = nasty idea...

Quoted for total agreement... Also: Shawn smells like old man hands and strawberries.

M.E.L.
07-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Quoted for total agreement... Also: Shawn smells like old man hands and strawberries.

Stop kissing my ass and apply to EA already :P we'll call you Darth Rhone :twisted:

-s

rawgon
07-04-2005, 10:36 PM
thanks a lot for the help, ive tried smoth proxy and it looks quite nice (maybe the way to go), but, i dont know if im wrong, are not subdivisions better for the final result in skining!? i mean smooth proxy looks like its going to need a good amount of divisions to avoid seems on geometry on a highpoly model.

the wrap deformer solution pointed out by Kriz its tottaly new to me, i will try to understand it, btw, if using wrap deformer how would i control the final result on the subdivisions, since i would do all the skinning and blend shapes in poly version, can i edit the subds version to?

anyway as M.E.L pointed out, smothproxy looks like the way to go, i mean, should give me more control over the skining and blendshapes, right? since ill be doing all in the same geometry? but again, could i keep a lower rez geometry to animate faster on the viewport?

sorry for noob questions

btw, could u point any good book or dvd, that covers all this process of rigging, skinning, etc... the polys?

thanks guys:thumbsup:

grrinc
07-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Also, wrap deform = nasty idea... try to avoid those at all costs ;)

-s

I have been following a few Gnomon dvd's and they seem to rather like the wrap deformer way. Now I am noob to rigging and I am about to start my first set up using the wrap method. Any chance of a quick explaination as to why they are not souch a good idea?? Many thanks.

M.E.L.
07-08-2005, 12:18 AM
1. wrap deformers can get seriously slow with dense meshes

2. wrap deforms can cause artifacting and other inconsistencies with the deforming mesh.

3. wrap deformers are not exactly animator friendly.

4. wrap deformers use a global proximity to read what they are driving, this can be troublesome when working with oddities on meshes etc.

5. wrap deformers can become quite memory intensive, causing instability and crashing.

personally, I've always avoided them in production no matter what.

-s

Andrei2k
07-11-2005, 05:17 AM
Wrap deformers work very well (and are much faster in 6.5 if any concellation)
Your mesh never needs to get so dense that its ridiculous and why does it matter because you have your wrap SubD on a seperate layer and you animate with your low poly. You only turn on the SubD to check deformations and when you render.

Pro: You dont have to add poly smooth to your mesh history after bind.
You dont have to worry about normals/soft/hard edges
You can modify your model after the wrap for example add ear detail or belly button detail AFTER you are done animating and not have history on poly bind!
You can dont have to worry about connecting head to mesh before/after animating.
Detail level is LESS than polysmooth because SubD at vertex level 0 remains same as low poly topology.

PS I will fight for wraps to the death! hahah

john_homer
07-11-2005, 06:52 AM
I hate wraps. they are the devils work :twisted:

Andrei2k: if you end up fighting to the death, you will probably find its a wrap you are fighting. :banghead:

I like how maya 6.5 complains all the time...
Warning: stupidWrap (Wrap Node): No points were weighted to the wrap. Try increasing the maxDistance setting...
and then MOVE ALL THE VERTS!! nice feature Alias, I see its new in 6.5

I will argue this point no more.
good day to you all.

.j

M.E.L.
07-11-2005, 07:10 AM
hear hear! :buttrock: :beer:

maybe one day they will get it right....

CGTalk Moderation
07-11-2005, 07:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.