PDA

View Full Version : question about ps and painter

kevline
07-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Hello

a question that intrigues me between the 2 famous software photoshop and painter.
I know that painter is good for the realistic things as the paper etc but I don't understand why a lot of painters switch between the two.
Those that make it could they tell me why?
I had heard that ps was better for the colors..

Thank you for your answers
bye

jrr
07-04-2005, 04:45 AM
well, i use photoshop because it's more versitle. you could pretty much do anything you want with it, painter has a much better brush engine. you can adjust things easier and faster with photoshop this is why people use both programs back and forth.

heythatreallyhurts
07-06-2005, 01:17 AM
Yeah, I use Painter for most of the painting, but if I need to crop or merge some layers or adjust colors or any of that other stuff that's really clunky in Painter (and I never even learned to do more than just paint in Painter, to tell the truth), I switch over to Photoshop, which I'll usually have running behind Painter. It's especially useful when I have a painting with multiple layers. If I'm inking or coloring a sketch, for example, I usually do different parts in different layers, and sometimes I get mixed up and I'll realize I've been painting on the wrong layer. As far as I know, it's impossible to fix this is in Painter (and if it is possible, I'll probably never figure out how to do it), so I open the file in PS and fix it in about two seconds. Same goes for adjusting the colors on just one layer, resizing ... I guess just about everything except drawing, which I always do in Painter.

rblitz7
07-06-2005, 01:29 AM
one question, when you switch what do save your image as? sorry im new.

heythatreallyhurts
07-06-2005, 03:48 AM
For working just in Photoshop and Painter, you should probably save as a PSD. If you want to use other programs to edit the image, you should make it a TIFF. I save everything as both RIFF (default Painter file) and PSD, just in case a file becomes corrupted.

Lunatique
07-06-2005, 06:01 AM
You might want to read through this thread. Linda posted her ways of blending in Photoshop, and I posted a demo of painter brushes (on page 3): http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=253711&page=1&pp=15

nebezial
07-06-2005, 08:26 AM
id say one of the main problems in photoshop is blending, i read that painter has that solved... i think u wrote it somewhere luna, not sure, and the brushes in painter are nice, then also there is the warmth that is difficult to acchieve in photoshop. so its like taking the best of both. i myself allmost startrd switching... buut then i decided to reinvent photoshop for myself and make a proper blending tool and simplify everything who knows after i make a tut. maybe the switching will slightly decrease... i know i stopped, but still, painter has some of the sweatest effects ever, sooo if u have em both use them... thats my opinion, u can only benefit

fourcrowsArt
07-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Hi, I'm really new here too...and am just trying to decide if I should buy paint (which I think I should) but my question is, if I'm working in one or the other will the layers be saved in both?

...in other words, if I'm saving in PSD, would I be able to open the image in paint and work in layers? (or vise versa?)

I'm really dense about this, sorry...I'm a 2d artist, trying to figure out this strange new world...it's daunting...

thanks!
Robin

heythatreallyhurts
07-10-2005, 01:08 AM
Yes, saving as a PSD in Painter will preserve your layers in Photoshop. But certain things you do in Photoshop won't transfer back to Painter: adjustment layers, for example. Adjustment layers will just convert to normal layers when you open the file in Painter. I'd recommend dividing up your tasks for a project between the two programs (or however many you're using), so you'll know beforehand exactly what needs to be done in which program. Of course, I always try to do that, but I end up going back and forth much more often than I planned.

CGTalk Moderation
07-10-2005, 01:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.