PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise's wearable glove from Minority Report is ready to ship

vorlon
10-23-2002, 02:38 PM
This glove can replace your mouse like the one used by Tom Cruise in "Minority Report" to scrub around the video screen. Well not exactly as in the movie, but for now as close as it gets. It will be released on Oct. 28, PC and Mac compatible.
In the demo video it shows it can be used with 3D softwares!
It costs about $150.

Link to the manufacturer (http://www.essentialreality.com/p5_glove.asp)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to the Revolution.

The Future is at Hand. Essential Reality is pioneering a new generation of products that enable the ultimate interface between man and machine in both the gaming and professional user communities.

The premier edition of our flagship product family, the P5, transforms the way in which users interact specifically with computer games, providing a gaming experience that is unprecedented.

Brandish a mighty sword in a video game, walk through an online room, or pick up objects on screen - with the power of P5, not in, but on your hands, you can fully harness the potential of today's lifelike 3D and virtual gaming environments like never before.

But that's just the beginning - the power of 5 is almost limitless. Our goal is to utilize P5's underlying bend sensor and optical tracking technologies to enhance and optimize the user experience not just for gamers, but also for a diverse range of users and applications

--------------------------------------------------------

The P5 is an innovative, glove-like peripheral device, based upon proprietary bend sensor and remote tracking technologies, that provides users total intuitive interaction with 3D and virtual environments, such as games, websites and educational software.

Brandish a mighty sword in a video game, walk through an online room, or pick up objects on screen - with the power of P5 in your hands, you can fully harness the potential of today's lifelike 3D and virtual gaming environments like never before.

While future editions of the P5 will accommodate a broad range of uses, the premier edition has been specifically designed to enhance the PC game-playing experience and provides users with these extraordinary features:

Lightweight, ergonomic design for easy, intuitive play. Weighs just 4.5 oz.

-The first widely available virtual 3D controller
Mouse-mode compatible with any application
-6 degrees of tracking (X, Y, Z, Yaw, Pitch and Roll) to ensure realistic movement - most trackball, joystick and mouse controllers offer only 2 degrees of freedom
-Bend-sensor and optical-tracking technology to provide true-to-life mobility
-Easy, plug-and-play setup - plugs right into the USB port of your PC
-Infrared control receptor with scratch-resistant, anti-reflective lens
-East-to-use anywhere - desktop, living room, etc...

psil
10-23-2002, 03:02 PM
Wow. I wonder which app will be the first to include one for modeling and animation..

SheepFactory
10-23-2002, 03:03 PM
I used this in last years Game developers conference.

It is not as responsive as i would have liked , In a couple of years i am sure there'll be huge advances in this area but as of now i dont think its there yet.

try before you buy.

A|i

lowkey
10-23-2002, 03:10 PM
yeah, that's definitely what i thought when seeing those teasers ... it doesn't seem to have the accuracy needed for serious 3d modeling purposes yet and i wonder if working this way really is that ergonomical ... :shrug:

SheepFactory
10-23-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by lowkey
and i wonder if working this way really is that ergonomical ... :shrug:

You are right ,

You need to be fit like an olympic athlete to work with that thing for more than 15 minutes , because you have to hold your hand in the air , in front of you at all times , shoulder cramps are inevitable.

lowkey
10-23-2002, 03:31 PM
ehHehhE, that's exactly what i envisioned ... muscle-strain all over ... and imagine whole batteries of office clerks operating their word-processors in acrobic fashion, ehheheh ... shiiit, future will be strange ! :wip:

jbo
10-23-2002, 03:50 PM
pshh... whatever. nintendo had that in the 80s. it was called the powerglove.
"I love the power glove. It's so bad." -Lucas Barton from "The Wizard"

Antilles
10-24-2002, 04:11 PM
But the chick who was walking around showing people the product at the convention was hot.

googlo
10-25-2002, 06:34 AM
yeah that doesn't really seem practical at all for extended use.

Maybe if you just left your arm hanging down the side of the chair and moving your fingers it could work..

Having to hold your hand out without being able to rest while operating it doesn't seem reasonable. People (like said here) are going to develop strain dissorders I think.

I'd say that the future is perfect voice recognition and execution between the user and computer.

Or direct processing of brain patterns into computer commands. Don't laugh! research is already being done on this, it's been going on for years now. Like 4 years ago I read an article and saw video of research where they stuck sticky pad sensors onto a person's scalp and then the person would move an object on a computer screen two dimensionally based upon concentrating and thinking a certain way. The computer would be programmed to resopond to certain brainwave patterns, like move left when this pattern happens, move right when this pattern happens. And the subject had to train themselves as well to create the right brain responses everytime.

It's pretty cool when you think about it. They can already hard wire sensors invasively into animal and insect brains to hardwire their brain impulses into digitial processor that then translates them into useable information.

In one science article I read, a moth was attached to a device that could move and it's muscle movement for it's wings to fly an move with were tapped into and relayed into the device it was stuck to, and when it wanted to fly, the machine would move it around accordingly.

lowkey
10-25-2002, 07:39 PM
direct processing of brain patterns into computer commands

well, if it'll go that far there'll be whole new concepts of DRM necessary ... :D

... and everybody will be afraid of some serious ghosthacking goin' to happen, while being connected to the internet !:eek:

Gentle Fury
10-26-2002, 07:56 AM
The PC Powerglove!!!!

I had one of those things for my nintendo! This is def not Minority Report......lol

Looks like it would be fun for games (well not really for extended periods of time......but shooters would be cool)

I'm still waiting for a real intuitive modeling glove.

Happy Rendering!

erikals
12-30-2003, 02:15 PM
Might be a little late replying to this, but the video they show is most likely fake, sorry. They yet haven't made any driver for any 3D program. Too bad really... :shrug:

NUKE-CG
12-30-2003, 03:42 PM
3ds Max is seen in the promo-vids..

Alias will be working on this also, ex-member Bill Buxton and 'Alias Research' in general love this kind of stuff, Portfolio Wall software comes to mind..

teabgs
12-30-2003, 03:59 PM
I like how it works with Mac OS9 and UNDER. especially because no software is made for OS9 any more...and everyone is (or will be soon) using OSX :hmm:

mastermesh
12-30-2003, 04:08 PM
http://www.senseboard.com/ is a virtual keyboard...

Also, there's some 3d Globe thing that is a monitor that had a website about a year ago selling for around $90k - have not seen that website or links to it, so it's likely that DOD bought em out? If anyone knows of the site, please post the link. It sort of looked like a globe thing that the witch in Wizard of Oz used but was bigger, and it could actually plot out 3d images on an xyz coordinate plane inside of real 3d space using lasers and stuff....

If you mix that sort and think about 3d printing technology

http://www.3darttopart.com/index.php

http://www.vitro.de/index.php?t=products.vitroluxc&l=eng

http://www.zcorp.com./products/demo.asp?ID=1

http://www.toybuilders.com/

You can see that in the not too distant future, (probably around 10-50 years) holography rooms that allow us to do the same sort of stuff as Holodecks did on Star Trek are probably going to be a reality.

Solesurvivor
12-30-2003, 09:25 PM
geez, that's what I call old news, i have been working with this last year, and it is was already in retail then. It is crappy to work with, heavy muscle strain, very hard to master in any 3d app or 3d game, used UT and 3ds max as testing programs.

erikals
12-30-2003, 10:05 PM
Hi Solesurvivor,

I have been at the EssentialRealiy forum and webpage, but everone asks for a 3DStudioMax driver for the P5 glove, like it doesn't exist. Do you know if Essential Reality provide this driver? or if it is another company who made the driver?

Thanks NUKE-CG :) much interesting 3D stuff on Buxton's webpage
http://www.billbuxton.com/InputSources.html

mattregnier
12-31-2003, 03:23 AM
Strains and all problems aside I think a device like this is a great obesity killer. I mean why not. I'm not slamming people, but a great deal of us spend 8+hrs in front of a monitor everyday. If I was actually exercising while working man that would be great...

Solesurvivor
12-31-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by erikals
Hi Solesurvivor,

I have been at the EssentialRealiy forum and webpage, but everone asks for a 3DStudioMax driver for the P5 glove, like it doesn't exist. Do you know if Essential Reality provide this driver? or if it is another company who made the driver?

Thanks NUKE-CG :) much interesting 3D stuff on Buxton's webpage
http://www.billbuxton.com/InputSources.html

the glove only replaces the mouse movement. If you want app-specific drivers, i guess it's up to you to go and play with the api :)

onlooker
01-02-2004, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by jbo
pshh... whatever. nintendo had that in the 80s. it was called the powerglove.
"I love the power glove. It's so bad." -Lucas Barton from "The Wizard"

1st: This is super old news.

2nd: It's based on the Power-Glove from nintendo.

These guy's are not Apple. They have not really done anything substantially different with it that sets it aside from it's origin: The Power-Glove.

I thought it was potentially a great device a few years ago when they licensed the design from the Power-Glove creators, but they lack either the knowledge to make it great, or great innovative sense to turn it into more than just a gaming glove.

This thing has been dead in the water for a long time, and I see no sparks of life for it from the current team working with it.

Fluckrat
01-02-2004, 07:12 AM
I've got 2 wearable gloves at home. My mum knitted them.

erikals
01-02-2004, 09:06 AM
Fluckrat... :D

Well, I guess maybe it's no point looking into gloves. I think it would be cool if they made a propper driver for the P5 glove, but it looks like that won't happen. Not sure exactly how great it would be to use though, since it's movements are very limmited. But if the price was 1/100 of the price a proffesional glove is, I still would give it a try... I mean, what's to loose... :)

Xevious
05-13-2005, 04:50 PM
I hate to bring up an old thread but I recently saw this listing at Overstock for $25 (plus 2 dollars shipping).

Maybe its worth looking into for people who like to tinker with SDKs, etc.

dubge
05-13-2005, 07:41 PM
I just found out we have one at our office. Sadly it's locked in a closet and the guy with the key isn'ti in. Now I have to wait untill mon to hurt my shoulder.:banghead:

pgp_protector
05-13-2005, 07:49 PM
I just found out we have one at our office. Sadly it's locked in a closet and the guy with the key isn'ti in. Now I have to wait untill mon to hurt my shoulder.:banghead:

Dont rush, Esp if you have large hands, the fit on it is terrable

Ghostscape
05-14-2005, 09:58 PM
We have one at school, it is pretty lame. We used a $1,000 version though for some very sweet stuff being demo'd in our virtual theatre class.

BillB
05-14-2005, 11:57 PM
I've got 2 wearable gloves at home. My mum knitted them.

Ha, that was my first thought - "Wow! A wearable glove! What an age we live in..."

sternio
05-16-2005, 05:50 AM
http://gr.bolt.com/articles/rants/powerglove.jpg

This is it here right? This could really revive Fred Savages career.

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2005, 05:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.