PDA

View Full Version : I give up. WHY is masking so different on mac

MadSkillzMan
07-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Simple task, or atleast this should be.

All i want to do, is select a peice of footage, and crop it out using a mask. (this is to help a poor chroma key setup) SHOULD be a simple task

In windows, you would expand the Mask headingi n the timeline, and set it from normal/add to SUBRACT.

Well guess, what, its not here in mac.

But the fun doesnt stop there, when i right click and go to MODE its greyed out. Ill have my footage in between 2 layers, but it still doesnt work.

If this doesnt work, ill just go do compositioning on my dead windows box, and make the mac render it.

What the hell am i doing so wrong? Forgive my lack of patience, i get super PO'd when things dont work like theyre supposed to. Thanks in advance

MadSkillzMan
07-02-2005, 10:51 PM
nevermind, i got it. they set all the presets to HIDE the secondary menu. thanks anyways guys.

ratbaggy
07-03-2005, 01:52 AM
perhaps it is more to do with a lack of understanding the mac system, rather than it being software differences in AE.

:)

MadSkillzMan
07-03-2005, 07:57 AM
eh, i havent done any huge AE projects on mac since i got the thing. i adapted well to other programs, but i wouldnt put it past me lol. To complicate things more i have 3 monitors

Ive been fighting with this bad chroma key for some time. I had access to a shake setup, tried it on there, and things worked for alittle, until for some reason it got wicked unstable. I guess i added too much to the script with my interp quickpaint, deinterlace, 4:1:1 upscaler, multilayer, and a sharpness nodes.

So i went to my college and got AE Pro for mac for about 200$. FIGURED itd be exactly the same, only some of the preset GUI features threw me off. Windows it would span across the monitors by default, put the file box, and 1 settings box in the left. Timeineline, and controls on the right. Mac just jumbled it all on one monitor.

You can imagine my frustration when i found out i had to RE-rotoscope 2 minutes of footage ALL OVER again at 30FPS. However AE's keylight solved this problem, and i just had to do some simple mask tracking, which DIDNT crash (unlike shake) .

But, i sat back, stared at it, found everything i needed and now i can finish up.

CGTalk Moderation
07-03-2005, 07:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.