PDA

View Full Version : How about a CG Choice gallery for Animation?

Markuss
07-02-2005, 08:34 PM
Why isn't there a CG Choice gallery for Animation? It allready has it's own Gallery section, but now CG Choice to honor the best contributions. Sometimes people post great animations, short films or whatever, and sometimes it gets plugged on the front page, but after that it fades out and just disappears I guess.

I understand that it would probably be a bandwith problem if CGtalk was going to host all the animation files, but if people hosted it themselves, like they do in the gallery, wouldn't that be ok? Cgtalk could pherhaps host a thumbnail and a few stills images?

I also understand that there's probably less animations posted since they take longer to produce, but still I think it would be great to reward the best ones...

EDIT: BTW, I actually liked the old CG Choice Galleries better, the ones you had a couple of years back, where you could sort it in different categories like characters, vehicles, architectural, and wasn't it an animation category as well I think.

superhooman
07-13-2005, 10:11 PM
I do not think that would be possible because of the fact that CGTalk would have to host the animations. They do already host the gallery images by the way - those pictures are not hosted by the artists themselves.

I think the problem would be that they could not guarantee that artists would have sufficient bandwidth to maintain the constant downloads from people seeing their work on the choice forum, and also CGTalk couldn't guarantee that the artists would continue to keep those files on their servers anyway. A few months down the line, that cg choice thread could end up with a dead link.

I think this has actually been mentioned and discussed before elsewhere on the forum.

Leonard
07-15-2005, 11:28 PM
Markus,

1. New galleries with categorization are on the way.
2. So are animation hosting capabilities.

All will be online by the end of the year! :thumbsup:

Leo

Markuss
07-16-2005, 01:10 PM
That is great news! Looking forward to it! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2005, 01:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.