PDA

View Full Version : alien cowgirl singer

paul-banister
07-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Havent modelled game characters for absolutely ages so any advice throughout will b very appreciated.As for the character...the title says it all really.Gonna work on the boots and eyes then post update.

paul-banister
07-02-2005, 10:02 PM
quick update.

qrt
07-02-2005, 10:17 PM
5\10 pkt, for now. but finish it.

franklyn
07-03-2005, 02:10 AM
wow this is looking really nice . if you want to maintain sex appeal id say remove those big huge bagles and put some nice thin ones .
i like the concept a lot cant wait to see it textured.

kaisasose
07-03-2005, 02:45 AM
Cool model, I kinda like those bracelets actually, if shes a singer, she might need 'em for percussion!!:)

@kurt_hectic_pl.
Dude stop running around giving out scores, copying and pasting "finish it" like you're in a Mortal combat game... I've seen your site. Maybe we should post a thread specially for you so everyone else can vote eh?

AndyH
07-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Great work on the proportions and the head, and the topology is very efficient. My only gripe is that her bracelets seem a little out of place, and could use some more polys. Maybe remove them and give her some chunky cowboy style gloves? This would probably look good because shes got such big hands anyway.

keep it up

paul-banister
07-04-2005, 12:19 AM
finally got round to giving her some clothes.1st attempt on left im guessing could be used as normal map but havent played with using that before so i lowered polys a bit and got attempt on right.should i just simplify the dress leaving out the folds etc (working on the idea that it could be textured or normal mapped) or model some of the folds?

franklyn:thanks.as for the texturing bit....i wouldnt say my texturing skills are non-existent but at the moment thats not too far from the truth,havent 'clicked' with using uv maps yet...need to sit down and spend some proper time getting to grips with it really.

kaisasose:thanks.i like the bracelets too but gloves would be more in keeping with the 'cowgirl' theme i reckon.haha your comment about mr 'cut and paste' made me laugh.

Andy H:gloves are in progress now,it adds to the cowgirl look alot better.got a question...without the skirt my model is at 3744 tris,i reckon i can get rid of about 300 tris on parts that could be textured or are hidden like beneath the skirt or hat etc,is this count ok for the model or do i need to optimize more?

AndyH
07-05-2005, 11:27 PM
hey! Sorry i didnt answer your question...

I would go with the lower poly one. It doesnt look that different to the one on the left, and the fewer the polies, the better. If it was a long skirt, then i would pump more polys into it to help the deformations, but because its so short, i dont think that will be a problem.
One thing im noticing now though, is that her breasts seem too pointy and dont really flow with the body. If youre going for natural, id suggest make them flatter and more subtly shaped, whereas if you want them big, make them fatter and rounder.

Looking forward to more updates.

paul-banister
07-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Andy H:thanks for replying.model is at 5171 tris.Ive flattened the breasts a little,havent really played around with the shape much thou,i'll leave fine tuning till after i sort out any useless polys etc.Unless anyone can see anything she needs in terms of accesories etc i'll start testing out a rig on her.
since ive never really sat down and figured out uv maps for texturing my models never get further than 'block colouring' or 'gi' lighting renders.want to change all that with this model.should be getting z-brush 2 sometime this week hopefully,from what ive seen on other peoples work using this software(high and low poly) the texturing side of things should be easier to do since you can paint onto the 3dmodel?.If im wrong about this i would really appreciate someone telling me otherwise im gonna end up buying a (v.addictive fun 'modelling' package) but my texturing work will still be non existent!

ive attached the smooth shaded render which looks like it has some smoothing errors(hands and boots) should i be adding more polys to these areas or adjusting the vertices?
thanks.

AndyH
07-06-2005, 07:07 PM
I dont think you need zbrush to texture a model. Granted, it makes it more intuitive being able to paint on the model itself, but once you get the hang of UVing, it can easily be done purely in photoshop.
Great work on the model so far - i really like the proportions and the nice, tidy mesh. My only comment would be that the fingers and wrist could use a few more polys to help with shape and deformation.
One thing i would highly reccomend is to quickly rotate the arms into a more relaxed pose to check the proportions. I find the 'T' pose awkward to model with because its such an extreme pose, its harder to see the 'flow' of the character and where the arms bend at the shoulder.

Hope you get her finished - shes a very appealing character!

CodeNothing
07-06-2005, 10:53 PM
saweet model! I think it would be nice (though possibly out of sight under the skirt) if she had a little daringer stuck in a garter belt on her leg or something.

deffinetly go with the lower poly clothes. The difference can be made up with texturing.

Again great model. :)

paul-banister
07-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Andy H:thanks for the feedback,v.much appreciated.added more polys to the gloves and changed her upper body,im happy with the newer version,...although the poly count has increased ever so slightly!ha.rotated the arms on the model to check proportions and ended up making the gloves smaller because they looked like giant hands.

CodeNothing:thanks for the comments.your gonna have to exscuse my ignorance, but whats a 'daringer'? Since the models tri count has increased i reckon the 'lower' poly skirt is about to get even lower,like you said "the difference can be made up with texturing".

Por@szek
07-07-2005, 05:25 PM
From update to update this character looks more intersting. I like Your attention to details and I have hope that texture will be also detailed. The idea is great, maybe You will think of making for her some mechanic bull.

CodeNothing
07-07-2005, 06:33 PM
a 'Daringer' (not sure about the spelling) is a very small handheld gun with one shot. It was popular in the old west.

paul-banister
07-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Por@szek : Thanks,this character is gonna be my test subject when it comes to texturing,so hopefully i'll do it justice.

CodeNothing:oh right,good idea but my poly count is already high and a gun hidden behind her skirt would be wasted polys as she is meant to be a 'singer'.

Wayne Adams
07-07-2005, 07:12 PM
very nice idea, geometry looks good too. can't wait to see some texture.

keep up the solid work

AndyH
07-07-2005, 11:21 PM
shes looking great now shes more relaxed. The hands are looking better too, though they seem to taper to a point a little. My other small crit is that her boobs are showing a little too much. Her top seems a bit too low - her nips are almost showing!

Keep at it mate - its looking well good.

jOBe
07-07-2005, 11:31 PM
yeah i agree with andy. the top is a tiny bit too sexy.

paul-banister
07-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Wayne Adams: thanks,just ordered 'bodypaint 2' so im gonna definetly texture this character,...cant wait :)

Andy H: haha,i'll cover up a bit more flesh on the next update,seems that when i changed the upper body it slipped a little!..oh and i'll fatten the fingers a little aswell.thanks for your feedback.

jOBe:yeah i think your both right on that one,i'll make it cover more of her breasts.

paul-banister
07-09-2005, 09:03 PM
just outta curiosity what sorta poly(tri) count should i be budgeting myself at with this type of character?

paul-banister
07-10-2005, 05:33 PM
quick update.added teeth,eyelashes,lifted top to cover more flesh and fattened end of fingers slightly.lowered tri count a bit too.

AndyH
07-11-2005, 07:20 AM
Looking good - now get this lass textured! Maybe start rigging or UVing her first?

Hope you can finish this.

paul-banister
08-18-2005, 11:01 PM
finally got a chance to get back to this character again.got her rigged up nicely and layed out the uv's.come to a point where im not sure where i want to take the texturing,...this is my first time at uv mapping and texturing a character and so its been a case of testing things out and seeing how things work/look.
any thoughts about which of the attatched looks best would be a huge help.thanks.

AndyH
08-18-2005, 11:23 PM
Nice to see you back on it again - i was starting to forget about it!
Good to see you have rigged and posed her.

I think the textures look a bit cartoony at the moment, and those thick black lines and bold lipstick areas arent really helping. The green skinned one seems a step in the right direction though, im just not too keen on the actual green colour (cliched alien colour!)
Maybe try a pale blue or pale yellowy white?

Because shes quite youthful and attractive (for an alien) i would focus on skin tones and smoothness rather than creases and shadows. Try and go for the minimalist look. Too much texture detail on such a smooth character can sometimes look odd.

Think of that 'manta' short - i liked the skin properties of that.

http://www.filmandvideomagazine.com/2001/03_mar/images/mar_issue/features/NAB/250/manta_head.jpg

Star wars has some great alien skin textures - go watch ep 1 & 2 again on dvd. Maybe youll be inspired!
Keep it up!

paul-banister
08-18-2005, 11:37 PM
Andy H:thanks for the nudge in the right direction and pics.the creamy yellow colour is what i started working on up untill the black lines got added! i'll get all the skin tones etc done then post render up again :)

Por@szek
08-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Whoa, You made great progress free-willy form last time I've been here. And I see Andy help You a lot, listen to him he is GREAT artist (don't hit me man ;) ). I like this character much, and I love the pose You made for her ;)
Keep it up.

kyphur
08-20-2005, 03:45 PM
The model's came out really good though there are some things about the texturing. Try checking out bobotheseal.com for his tutorials and others.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product!

paul-banister
08-20-2005, 05:29 PM
thanks for the helpfull comments and encouragement.started texture over again,hows it looking now?

ScudzAlmighty
08-20-2005, 05:46 PM
1000 times better:thumbsup:

i can see her singing away in a Lucas film already:wise:

paul-banister
08-20-2005, 05:53 PM
ooops,just noticed i didnt take out the line markings on ear before render...oh well.

dammit,seen another prob...necklace is being influenced by shoulder bone!!!
Scudz Almighty:thanks,im alot more happier with texture this time around.

kyphur
08-20-2005, 07:05 PM
a lot, lot better! I was going to say something about the ear and the necklace but I see that you've already caught them yourself! Good work!

Kyph

paul-banister
08-27-2005, 04:22 PM
never realised painting clothes could be so frustrating!!! is this looking ok for what appears to be my 1000th attempt (slight exageration),or shud i give it another go?

paul-banister
08-27-2005, 04:24 PM
....or should i keep with the softer approach to the clothing like on this attempt?

Headless
08-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Either way I think you need to make the skin highlights on the face into a more subtle blend.

ScudzAlmighty
08-27-2005, 05:52 PM
go with the softer approach, the top looks really good in that one, not sure about the hat though

paul-banister
09-03-2005, 11:51 PM
bit more progress on the texturing.

AndyH
09-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Nice texture style! I really like the brown pallette too. How bout summat with a small area of white just to break it up a bit?

paul-banister
09-04-2005, 06:50 PM
playing with the alpha map,spurs are fine,but the skirt im not sure about,dont know wether it needs some tweeking or left out?????
andy h:thanks,just gotta think of how to use some white in the texturing now,probly a thin stripped pattern on bottom part of her top?

AndyH
09-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Thats looking really excellent!
Considering how much you were fretting over the texture, id say youre a natural. The boots look great and i really like the colour depth. Some detail patterns around the skirt and maybe a threaded pattern on the boots would look good. The minimalistic approach to the texture work really works though, so i should be careful of how much detail you add.

Keep it up :thumbsup:

paul-banister
09-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Andy H:thanks for that,really appreciate the help from you and everyone else thats replied.as luck would have it...my wacom pen has gone nuts!!!...after ive drawn a line and take pen off tablet it keeps drawing and even without pressure it can draw! gonna have to send it back n hopefully get it exchanged,only had it less than a month.guess that means im gonna have to go back to using the mouse again!

paul-banister
09-08-2005, 03:45 AM
was hoping to show a better update than this but ive been having lotsa fun with 'texture stretching',just little stretching but its been enough to make little details look crappy in places...oh well,ive learnt lots of things to watch out for on my next model!

shes now got freckles,ears,changed the hat(had to change uv for hat)! and started on her gloves,having probs getting the gloves to look like leather,...and yet the boots were easy in comparison,anyway,still gotta add stronger wrinkles,highlights n stitching etc so maybe that'l add to the look.

any crits on how its looking would be v.welcome,coz at the mo' i feel like im not getting very far and i was hoping i would have her finished by now!

thanks.

kaisasose
09-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Thats looking really nice, Dude. When you've added the stiching and the creases on the gloves an idea to get that "leathery" look might be to get an actual leather texture, use the clone tool and paint in a new layer set to soft light or overlay. That usually does the trick.
The bottom of the skirt looks a little pixellated compared to the rest of her, I'm guessing thats due to not enough texture space on the T page. You could try blurring the alpha map a teeny bit or experiment with a embroidery/lace pattern instead and see how that looks.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

paul-banister
09-08-2005, 11:20 AM
kaisasose: thanks,gonna have another go at the gloves in a bit so i'll try what u said.your right bout the pixolated alpha on skirt,having such a small size on map has made it look crappy,i'll give your ideas a go n hopefully make it look better.

paul-banister
09-09-2005, 12:41 AM
started over on the texture for the gloves,much happier with how they look now.

paul-banister
09-09-2005, 03:23 AM
got a question for anyone that knows bout uv texture maps,i'll probly explain this in a confusing way but here goes.

ive got my 'original' model that i use and a 'backup' saved just incase.since the backup ive made a few newer uv texture maps that always get applied to my 'original' model,newest texture update i decide to change round position of some polys on uv map,...all is good.but when i tried to put the newest texture map used on my 'original' model onto my 'backup' model,the texture map was screwed up in the areas i had altered the uv polys on map.pretty obvious its too do with the fact that i changed the position of uv polys on map after i made the 'backup' save.what i cant understand is that my 'original' model and 'backup' are identical,only difference between the 2 is that one was saved with a texture map before i changed round some polys on uv map, and the other was constantly in use when ive been making the texture map changes.
if someone understood all that and knows the answer i wud luv to know because its confusing me why that happens.

BakerCo
09-10-2005, 08:03 PM
If I understand correctly the problem is (stretching or wierdness with the backup model) you must chnage the backup models UV map as well. If your using max I know that u can actually save th UVWs and load them on the other model. If I don't understand u right or your not using max I am sorry I could not help.

Lost...

paul-banister
09-11-2005, 12:58 AM
im amazed you understood all that...confuses me when i read it and i wrote it!,forgot to say im using lightwave 8.3 n bodypaint 2.
added slightly deeper shade on jaw line,shadows fom gloves n clothes.still gotta add bit more shading to clothes,..some areas still look a little flat,and gotta do belt buckle,other than that ive just got to do the alpha,so unless there is anything else ive missed im gonna do the above and hopefully be able to say its finished.just noticed line on back of hat,guess thats another thing i need to sort out!

CGTalk Moderation
09-11-2005, 12:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.