PDA

View Full Version : Render times

jasonarcher
07-02-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm playing around with the trial version of V5:I and have seen what I believe are some relatively slow render times. I just plopped a procedural terrain into the scene (reads as 68,002 polys), set the render quality to the "final" preset, and clicked render -- 3 minutes render time. I was using standard illumination. A scene with 8.3 million polys went up to about 17 minutes render time for one frame. What sort of render times are you guys seeing normally, and how are you getting up into the billions of polygons without rendering for days?

The system it's being run on: P4 3.1Ghz w/ HT. ATI Radeon 9700 AGP. 1GB RAM.

Mike.H
07-02-2005, 01:54 PM
try playing with the user settings to decrease the render times and still keep up the quality.

You can also adjust the lightning in the atmosphere editor, tons of things that affects the render times except the number of polys.

grouping things in layers also speeds up the rendering, small stuff like that.

Wabe
07-02-2005, 04:16 PM
One of my favourite discussions. Remind me to the question "How long is a piece of rope?"

Render times are depending on so many specific settings that i don't think there is an answer to this question really.

My last image i posted here in the gallery had a render time quite around one hour (superiour), another i did some weeks ago rendered 88 hours (estimated time was 154 hours). In the second there was a lot of reflecting materials, dof and a lot more, even when it had under 1 million polygons. But reflections and especially dof can end in ultra long rendering times. Need clever settings to avoid that.

jasonarcher
07-02-2005, 07:08 PM
In this case I wasn't using reflections, depth of field, or global illumination. Just the default settings and rendering a single procedural terrain with the default material and no ecosystems. Still came in at about 17 minutes/frame.

mdunakin
07-03-2005, 10:10 AM
This rendering issue has bothered me from the very start, when I first heard about
this program, as they (the Vue 5 people) NEVER mention render times in ANY of
the information I read or could possibly find at their site. The only thing they
mentioned about render times, was that they had speeded it up from earlier
versions by what ever percent, which doesn't mean squat if you don't know
how long something took to render in the first place?

I would of "LOVED" to see the render times for ALL of the sample images AND animations
that they posted up to demo their software, but I suspect that they would never do that,
as it appears that render times ARE in fact slow.
Correct?
Like for example, how many years (and I mean that litterally) did it take to render out
that first sample demo-reel animation that they use to show how cool it is?

Thanx, and I'll find out for my self in about a week or so, I guess LOL :)

This is my current system:
LW 8.3
XP Pro sp2 5.1 (build 2600)
P4 3ghz HT 800 FSB
2gigs DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 9600XT 256megs
Asus MOBO
2- 40gig IDE HDs
1- 160gig SATA HD
DVD-RW 12x
CD-ROM 52x

...................md :)

Wabe
07-04-2005, 11:42 AM
As i said, one of my favourite discussions.

I hope that Phoul, the guy who did the demo animations will answer here, he is a member of this society too.

But i can say so much already. It was one guy who did all that, and not in years. And even with not the fastest computers (two when i know it correctly) in the world. I think we had that question already some months ago at Renderosity.

Ok, did a search there. Here are Phouls system settings:

##########
I had my 2 "powerful" PC (P4 2,8 ghz with 1g ram) for the renders. The PIII (my web pc) is too slow for the renders. So, when scenes were at rendering on the 2 big engines, I start and create next scenes with my "old" PIII 1ghz 512 ram. Hum... about 75% of the scenes were created on that old PC. Mad (fool) isn't it? :-)))
#########

It is part of the professional cleverness to be able to do settings that make renderings fast and faster. Brute force is not always the best method.

BTW, 17 minutes for one terrian with default material sounds very odd to me.

andronikos916
07-06-2005, 10:12 PM
...I am not a vue5 user...I was just curious to see some rendertimes. Can somebody render a scene (interior) to see the results and times.

thanx,
Andronikoshttp://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Silverblade-T-E
07-10-2005, 01:15 AM
Wabe is right :)

Render times vary ENORMOUSLY.
And 17 minutes for a procedural with no special materials or objects sounds way off. Note though procedurals DO take longer than others to render because they are *fractal constructs* not digitial height fields.

Depth of field, best to fake that with Z depth grayscale, hehe! ;)

An HDR scene is usually much faster to render with global illumination, than the same scene with global illumination and a "sun" light.

Also since release, of Infinite I'm pretty sure render time shave dropped a fair bit.

jasonarcher
07-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Now that I've bought the full version, it seems to be rendering a little better. Unfortunately, I am repeatedly getting out of memory crashes.. Over and over and over and over again, which is annoying considering my system show that I have about 350MB of free RAM when Vue proclaims that I am out of memory and subsequently crashes.

Wabe
07-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Could you describe a little more what you do before the crashes occur? Hard to say anything with these vague descriptions. And what other software is running the same time on your system. That is important, most people simply forget what is running in parallel. I had that discussion quite lately in another forum. Finally the guy said that he is running Yahoo messenger in parallel - could be the reason... I had a crash of Infinite yesterday when i did something weird in that messenger.

Could be an OpenGL issue as well. Try to switch that off in the preferences and see wether it makes a difference.

Never trust an error message really, is only the final result of a longer process before the crash happens so the reason can be somewhere totally different.

MsLin
07-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Be sure you have the latest beta patch applied - 277255. E-on patched a bunch of memory leak related problems after its initial release. Don't be scared off by the "beta" designation - their updates have made the product more and more stable.

mdunakin
07-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Yeah, but I have the latest beta release and I'm constantly getting those same error
messages too and then the thing freezes up and I have to do the force quit bit.
But, for me, I've noticed that I get the message when ever I try to do any slightly
complicated eco system and it happens when I hit the Populate button.
All it takes is making some little changes in the eco system, like size of
objects or density or something else similar and when I go to populate,
bam! I get the message and the freeze up.

At first I thought it was because I was trying to add too many items,
but then I noticed that it'll do it with only in the millions of polies yet
other times I can render out a scene with well into the 54 billions range
with no troubles at all, and other times it freezes up with the memory
problem at only 83 million, which of course doesn't make sense.

But, I already have another thread going on this subject, so I'll try and
keep this matter in that thread, but had to comment that this person
isn't the only one having this issue, though I'm not sure about the
suggestion of turning off the opengl bit or even why having some
other program open is going to matter, since it does this randomaly.
I mean, I can have the internet running and or PS running and
sometimes the thing will run out, and other times with the same
programs running it will render billions just fine.

And it does seem strange that I have 2gigs of RAM and yet I see that barely
any is being used by Vue when it does these out of memory messages/freezes.

I wonder if any of the things in the task bar are causing the problems as well,
if running other programs is the problem, which it shouldn't be BTW.

anyway, thanx...............md :)

jasonarcher
07-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Could you describe a little more what you do before the crashes occur? Hard to say anything with these vague descriptions.

Could be an OpenGL issue as well. Try to switch that off in the preferences and see wether it makes a difference.

Turning off OpenGL had a positive effect on the problem.. So far no crashes.

mdunakin
07-15-2005, 06:20 PM
Hmm,, I'll have to give that one a try too.

Thanx for that update also...................md :)

richcz3
07-15-2005, 06:58 PM
I searched out my post I made a while back

See Link Reducing Render Times in Vue Infinite (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=242188&highlight=render+times)

Good luck

mdunakin
07-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Great thread!

But, can you tell me what format you are using for your animations?
I can't view a single one of them yet!
And I'm dieing to see what you created :)
Plus, I know I want to render out my own animations to frame sequences
as this is my normal practice within Lightwave, as I've learned over the years
that it's much better and if something ever goes wrong in the middle of an
animation you can laways finish where you left off, where as if you render
to an actual animation instead of frames, then you have to start all over again.
So that info in that other thread is very good info as I'm still trying to figure
out where to find things in Vue5I as I've only had it since Monday :)

Anyway, I hope to be able to view your animations soon?
thanx...........md :)

richcz3
07-16-2005, 03:21 AM
Those movies are windows media v9. WMV.
At first I was using render to movie becaus I wasn't able to render to TGAs. Someone helped me figure out the save to TGA and I've been using that since. As for reducing rendering. Vue has a bazillion settings everywhere that effect render times. I just used the trial by error approach and came up with those.

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2005, 03:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.