PDA

View Full Version : Two mice, two cursors on screen at once: a reality, but damn is it buggy

Mutagen Media
07-02-2005, 07:31 AM
http://cpnmouse.sourceforge.net/index.html

I'm running it right now in Win XP. It's an idea I've wanted to see realized for a long time, and though it's buggy as hell (bad artifacts, ghosting, and control issues galore) it's a proof of concept and I really hope that they will keep the updates coming. Does anybody else see the appeal of using two mice simultaneously in a 3d app, in addition to the keyboard?

Blikkie
07-02-2005, 07:40 AM
Can't say I do, I prefer to keep one hand on the keyboard for using all those mightily hany shortcuts and typing in values. (Learn autoCAD once and be spoiled for life :-)

Gotta love those xlines with offsets :-)

t-man152
07-02-2005, 06:30 PM
now we need dual keyboard with the dual mouse and we can make the ultimate dual system. just think about it:

2X Dual Core Proc
2X Videocards in SLI or Crossfire
2X Monitors
2X Hard Drives
2X Optical Drives
2X 1 gig stick of Ram
2X Ethernet
2X mouse

ohh the power of two.
wouldnt it be cool to play 2 versions of a video game on the same computer and have 2 people play it on 1 computer.

ihavenofish
07-02-2005, 06:39 PM
that last one there has been a configuration under linux for quite some time. HP i believe is selling quad headed systems. 4 monitors, 4 keayboards, 4 mice.

its aparenly doable in wondows, but really convoluted.

Joat
07-07-2005, 02:10 PM
By letting the brainsurgeon separate our brain in two we can do two different tasks at one time. Imagine the benefits!
Just a joke, not aimed at anyone taking part of this conversation but the concept of making things dual. Don't get offended.

-KDX-
07-07-2005, 06:01 PM
unless you're ambidextrous and have a split personality, why would you want 2 mice?????

=P

-KDX-

t-man152
07-07-2005, 06:24 PM
unless you're ambidextrous and have a split personality, why would you want 2 mice?????

=P

-KDX-

cause thats 1 more mouse than most other people. and that makes you special

Mutagen Media
07-07-2005, 06:42 PM

having two hands doesn't require a split personality. As I see it, it's like having both your hands to use on the desktop, instead of one. Imagine this:

on your desktop, there is an open window over the top of an icon you need to click.

Instead of moving the window to a new position, letting go of it, then moving to the icon and clicking it with the cursor...

you use the right mouse cursor to move the window, without letting go with the right you double click the icon you want with the left mouse cursor. Total time to complete this task is 50% less.

That is a simple example from windows. Imagine if, while using max, you could use one move cursor to pan/rotate/zoom your object while the other mouse cursor is always sitting over the command panels. You would never have to take your left cursor of your object to click any command.

Or what if you want to grab multiple objects in a scene and move them around at the same time, rather than one at a time?

Sure, many of the command have keyboard shortcuts or quad menus, but it all comes down to how an individual likes to work. Not everyone likes to memorize a load of keyboard shortcuts. My opinion is that by now, such a technology should be here and out of beta. Having one mouse cursor in a 2D or 3D environment is like having one hand in real life.

DanSilverman
07-07-2005, 07:06 PM
why would you want 2 mice?????

Have you ever sculpted with clay before? Did you just use one hand? ;)

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2005, 07:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.