PDA

View Full Version : medieval chest

rob-beddall
07-02-2005, 03:16 AM
hey!!

here is a model i have been working on over the last couple of days.
i entered it into the competition but it wasn't made for that....just happened to be modelling it at the same time.
anyway....let me know what you think.
modelled in max.
textures done in photoshop
normal map created in zbrush (first time using it)

all crits and comments are most welcome.

cheers!!

WesleyTack
07-02-2005, 07:06 PM
nice model, textured, but if you didn't model the high-rez model for the normal map i would recomend a bumpmap, will look better on this model i think :)

qrt
07-02-2005, 09:40 PM
nice, but blured texture.,

frameless
07-02-2005, 10:37 PM
I like it, especially because this is not a 08-15 design ;)

EDIT:
One question i ever wanted to ask but it seems stupid to me:
When you have the normal map and you want to paint the diffuse map, do you paint on the normal map or on an grayscaled conversion of the normal map or what? :blush:

rob-beddall
07-02-2005, 10:40 PM
hey!

for this particular model i just layed down the textures. (which are photo reference)
then at some point i do remember overlaying a grey scaled version of the normal map just to add a little bit of shading (tweaked levels first)

ta

Orestes11
07-02-2005, 11:18 PM
ur normal map isnt doing anything for you, without a spec map, a normal bump map isnt going to do anything, i would have modeling a high poly version then made the normals from that and added a spec map so it shows up under dynamic lighting.

Hazardous
07-03-2005, 06:26 AM
Hey Rob,

This is nice man i dig it :) Ive modelled and textured a fair few chests now!

I agree with the spec map comment, and ill add one more - how do i open this bad boy without hurling it at the nearest stone wall ?!

rob-beddall
07-03-2005, 03:07 PM
hey!!

thanks for the replies guys.
not really sure what you mean about the normal map doing nothing.
it add loads more detail and looks loads better than a none mapped model under dynamic light.
i have attached a pic showing the model with and without the normal map and lit from 2 different directions.

i tried adding a spec map but it always ended up looking crap.
i might go back and try it again. just seems like a lot to have all these maps on a little scenery item.

at the moment the only way to open the chest is to break it. it's locked :)
i still need to add a rim under the lid. - but it won't have a seperate modelled lid

cheers!!

Wayne Adams
07-03-2005, 03:26 PM
hey rob, I wouldn't even normal an object like that unless it was just for normal map practice. I think we thought it wasn't doing much, because it actually looked painted on to the texture..but you can definatly tell with you other screen shots

hanzo
07-03-2005, 03:41 PM
ROB_BEDDALL this is good, the normal map might look better if you add more then one lamp, also make one of the lamps really bright from a hard angle to the camera and the other lamp ( or lamps ) to center view these will serve the actual illumination while the lamp will give a good shiny glow to the normal map.

just try it ;)

CGTalk Moderation
07-03-2005, 03:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.