PDA

View Full Version : project: AIOKO

PantherX
07-01-2005, 10:43 PM
http://aioko.z01.info/images/locale_previz3.jpg
project: AIOKO

An environmental previsualisation for project: AIOKO

project: AIOKO is a new RPG in development. Being designed for next generation consoles (X-Box 360), this game would be a new look at RPG's generally, for example, for the first time the environment has a very direct interaction with the character and objects, for example you may be required to do things like start a fire using natural resources, or to use sunlight to reflect light off an opague object to reveal a hologram, etc.

At the moment I'm working on the FMV sequence to take place at the beginning of the game, that explains the extensive storyline, more film than game.

For more info and pics as they're developed visit http://www.z01.info (http://www.z01.info/)

Z01

ArchangelTalon
07-02-2005, 01:19 AM
Are the characters on your site and in that render your own?

cwith
07-02-2005, 02:05 AM
Great modelling, but you might want to start getting some money for a Microsoft/sony license :)

Wayne Adams
07-02-2005, 06:33 AM
Please do not tell me those people are exports from Poser.

The pinching on his knee says he is.

And on your website, you have an island picture, that wouldn't be a render from bryce would it?

Wayne Adams
07-02-2005, 06:40 AM
Best Film Ever: Apocolypse Now!

PantherX
07-02-2005, 06:22 PM
All the backgrounds and locations have been designed by myself. I'm using Poser 6 as a quick way of setting up scenes and experimenting with different poses etc; in this way I can create a storyboard, and create some of the initial assets that'll be required later on. The landscape (island of dementia) was, yes done in Bryce 5. The background for the latest pic (chapel of souls) was modelled and rendered in Maya 6.

I've just aquired an Unreal 2.5 engine so we can prototype all level designs and coding immediately. At the moment in the process of aquiring the havok 2 engine.

The script will be finished in a week, so if anyone's interested in joining and assisting in this project then send an e-mail to orpheus_x@msn.com.

ArchangelTalon
07-02-2005, 09:08 PM
You really, really need to step away from Bryce and from Poser if you're at all serious about this game. Even for quick concept art.

Wayne Adams
07-03-2005, 05:25 AM
dude, just draw your concepts and storyboards, this isn't renderosity. Be better than that.

PantherX
07-04-2005, 07:40 PM
http://aioko.z01.info/images/char_previz3.jpg

For all the people that hate Poser model exports, I created this model from scratch using a subdivision technique in Maya 6 and then rendered with our newly aquired MentalRay render engine. It's not finished yet. This is the facial organic section for the Epsilon, the Man Machine Priest that Dark Lord Xu creates to be his right hand man.

The software toolset was increased yesterday with the aquisition of BodyPaint 7. New image updates to the website. Also a new minivid will be released later this week to replace the endorphin 2 demo currently running.

Bazooka Tooth
07-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Best movie of all time: why isn't Spice World a choice?

PantherX
07-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Best movie of all time: why isn't Spice World a choice?

If this is indeed a 'serious' question then I suggest that you seek medical assistance. I wouldn't dane such a stupid suggestion but I think maybe you need some clarification as to what constitutes a good film, or indeed the best film of all time.

>>CRITERIA for QUALIFYING for BEST FILM<<
1 - The film must have a great and engaging plot that is full of colourful and interesting characters (SW contains neither plot nor realisable characters).
2 - The film must be unique in as much as it's genre trendsetting, for example Goodfellas was to become the architypal portrayal of the gangster stereotype, same as Lock,Stock has for the British gangster (SW was unique purely for its new, unbeforeseen levels of benility).
3 - The film must hold a certification higher than PG or 12 (basically not a poorly manufactured publicity video for children).

I would suggest you aquire the following DVD's to find out about good films with amazing storylines - Park Chan Wook's 'OldBoy', Quentin Tarantino's 'Resevoir Dogs', Stanley Kubrick's 'Full Metal Jacket', or John Woo's 'The Killer'.

Wayne Adams
07-04-2005, 11:06 PM
I already said apocolypse now damn it!!

No other can come close to the pure immune soul of a soldier

dmonk
07-05-2005, 03:38 PM
If this is indeed a 'serious' question then I suggest that you seek medical assistance. I wouldn't dane such a stupid suggestion but I think maybe you need some clarification as to what constitutes a good film, or indeed the best film of all time.

1 - The film must have a great and engaging plot that is full of colourful and interesting characters (SW contains neither plot nor realisable characters).
2 - The film must be unique in as much as it's genre trendsetting, for example Goodfellas was to become the architypal portrayal of the gangster stereotype, same as Lock,Stock has for the British gangster (SW was unique purely for its new, unbeforeseen levels of benility).
3 - The film must hold a certification higher than PG or 12 (basically not a poorly manufactured publicity video for children).

I would suggest you aquire the following DVD's to find out about good films with amazing storylines - Park Chan Wook's 'OldBoy', Quentin Tarantino's 'Resevoir Dogs', Stanley Kubrick's 'Full Metal Jacket', or John Woo's 'The Killer'.

How about Pootie Tang?

Your selection is too limited.

PantherX
07-05-2005, 09:22 PM
>> NEW DOWNLOADS AVAILABLE <<

'DA JUMP KREW' - 17.7Mb - DivX Req.
My first short completely 3D animation. This was done as a commissioned assignment for Bloomberg, London.

'THE POWER OF ENDORPHIN' - 7.4Mb - DivX Req.
A little video homage to my favourite piece of software - NaturalMotion's endorphin 2 - the most amazing real-time physics simulation engine. Why pay stuntmen to perform death defying stunts when a virtual actor can do it for free and with no potential health risks.

'LOCALE PREVIZ 1' - 1.2Mb - DivX Req.
A basic camera previz of the Chapel of Souls. It was rendered as a test of the lighting rig that was set up. You'll notice areas of grain due to bleed through by the key-light's lightfogging.

--------------------> More films coming soon!

AdamAtomic
07-05-2005, 10:39 PM

Uh, the Spice World guy was kidding I think...

Also, I have to say you have weird qualifying criteria and movie choices that neglect huge amounts of movie history and film knowledge in general. You may want to use the phrasing "my favorite films" or "movies I like a lot" rather than attempting to claim that something like The Matrix Trilogy is one of the greatest films or film series ever made. It is perfectly fine to really, really like sci-fi and gangster movies, I think everyone on these forums does (I know I do - LotR and Leon are definitely in my top ten!). However, slow-mo bullets do not a great movie make ;) Along these same lines of reason, a PG/12 rating does not a bad movie make. Pixar and The Iron Giant are perfect counter-examples. Also, if #1 really is a major point of interest, why not include movies like Benny & Joon, What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, and The Station Agent. The character arcs in these movies are a lot more interesting, nuanced, and realistic than in Leon or The Godfather Trilogy.

Basically, it is dangerous to use objective declarations with subjective choices and material ;)

OK back on topic. I would encourage posting images that are closer to a normal screen size, it is hard to judge and crit images that require large amounts of scrolling on a 2000-px wide screen! Also, your values and colors need a lot of work - the first image is extremely dark, which makes it boring, and the colors in the second image are garish and unnatural. The mesh in the second image needs a lot of work too, the shapes are very weird, especially where the cheek meets the nose. The materials and shaders you have chosen seem very amateur, with little regard to the composition of the final image. If you are doing early comp. tests and art tests, composition, mood and color should be at the forefront of your concerns, rather than specific rendering methods. I hope that helps!

PantherX
07-05-2005, 10:57 PM
As re films - you misjudge my choices Adam Atomic. You obviously hang 'Matrix' aside as nothing more than a disposable visual technologies test - however I think you've missed the main plot - which is essentially a Jean Baudrillard based discourse on simulacra vs. simulation, modern deconstructionism in the 21st century and determinstic thinking. Also to be remembered about the modern CG film market is that it's now money driven as opposed to story driven. Instead of squiggy and cuddly CG animal characters designed for kids are we going to see any adult orientated CG films, like an entirely CG George Romero zombie flick? I hope so.

Back to 3D - yep I confess the meshing on that face is real bad - however it was a quick design to silence the bemoaners of Poser - it took me all of 3.5 hours to do. At the moment I'm working on a more refined version. This is to be organic section of a predominately machine entity of great evil. Oh yeah - does anyone know how to to global illumination like in the books where the renders look all clean and white looking?

Maybe instead of a game I should be considering making a horror CG film? Anyone interested?

AdamAtomic
07-05-2005, 11:42 PM
As re films - you misjudge my choices Adam Atomic. You obviously hang 'Matrix' aside as nothing more than a disposable visual technologies test - however I think you've missed the main plot - which is essentially a Jean Baudrillard based discourse on simulacra vs. simulation, modern deconstructionism in the 21st century and determinstic thinking.

I have lots of good reasons to hang the Matrix aside, the least of which is the plot. However, if you're going to bring it up, I'm perfectly happy to use that as my reason :) If you've read Neuromancer (which featured a completely digital virtual world called, ahem, The Matrix) and seen Alex Proyas's Dark City (about a man with the power to shape his surroundings, shot in gritty, retro darkness, culminating in a mid-air fight with slow-motion projectiles, released by WB just a year before The Matrix), then The Matrix needs little introduction, and its pseudo-serious implications and quasi-Buddhist mumbo jumbo kind of falls apart. I've read Baudrillard, and if that is what the Matrix was shooting for (pun not intended) they fell short by quite a bit.

That said, I still LIKE the Matrix and its sequels. I just don't think they're GREAT FILMS. I mean, one of my favorite movies is Deep Rising, but that doesn't make it one of the GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME (as much as I would like it to).

Lastly, I apologize for hijacking your thread, I am really bored at work today!

ArchangelTalon
07-06-2005, 02:24 AM
The greatest film ever is probably North by Northwest ;)

Matt
07-06-2005, 02:26 AM
None of the films in the poll are anywhere near the best film of all time.

RO
07-06-2005, 02:28 AM
One of my fav films is “12 Monkeys” And yeah no film is tops of all time. It is like trying to say what is your fav painting... It depends too much on personal taste. I just say appreciate the good movies.

Wayne Adams
07-06-2005, 02:47 AM
Apocolypse Now!

PantherX
07-06-2005, 08:31 AM
Mr. Atomic, you're film knowledge is unrivalled. I thought I was the only person who read those books and watched those films. However if you really, really wanna get technical. Here it is. Two months ago, it was released in BFM (Black Film Makers magazine) it was revealed that WB are being sued by a woman who's meant to have written a story that actually encompasses the Terminator and Matrix trilogies. The Terminator storyline tells her story from front to back, while the Matrix tells the story from the back to the front with the story literally going in circles.

Also the reason that Matrix falls flat on the Baudrillard realisation is because it in itself becomes the very thing that Baudrillard rails against in his essays 'America' and 'Simulations' - a simulation of things to come depicted with so much realism that it could be interpreted as a retelling of a historical event, when in fact it's only a film - the unreal attempting to become just by it's very existence and creation. The concept of simulacra and simulation is something that perhaps only really hits religion (the concept of God as a simulacra - now in the order of the referentially ettestible) and 3D art (the concept of computer visualisation and simulation).

The question to ask really is - when does the 'real' stop being real - and when does the unreal become real?

PantherX
07-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Today is the big meeting of the G8 - the world's most industrialised countries meet up and flap their overfed, corrupt mouths about issues they have no grass roots level knowledge of. What do Blair and Bush know about poverty? Have they ever had to live rough? Have they ever had to beg for food? Before you ask this of me - yes there was an unfortunate period when I wasn't as well off as I am now and had to endure some hardship - but nothing to compare to the hardship of others who have nothing to live for.

Here is the reason why America will not back calling off Africa's debt. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and GREAT BRITAIN has many vested interests in African resources including but not limited to oil and diamonds, as well as platinum. America and Britain (Bank of Americas and HSBC) have both involved in assisting in military actions in African countries, at the behest of corrupt politicians. If America can maintain Africa's debt then they have a pseudo-legitimate reason to rip off the motherland of her natural resources.

Who are the G8? They are Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, UK, USA and Russia. They ALL have axes to grind and ALL have vested interests in maintaining the poverty of the world - otherwise where all the free labour and resources going to come from?

If you're as disgusted as me and want to take action then there is not much we can do - well, not much short of another Guy Fawkes styled Gunpowder Plot. Hmmm....maybe not such a bad idea.

Anyway back to 3D.....

PantherX
07-06-2005, 06:37 PM
>> original concept artwork for project: AIOKO - this was the original idea for princess aioko.
----------------------------->> new downloads available

jOBe
07-06-2005, 06:55 PM
*bump*

holy crap man, couldnt you post a larger picture?

PantherX
07-06-2005, 08:23 PM
http://aioko.z01.info/rnd/prob_front.jpghttp://aioko.z01.info/rnd/prob_perp.jpg
Can anyone assist - this is the mesh for the new epsilon man-machine character for project: AIOKO - the organic facial unit. I can't get rid of this 'herr-lip' section of mesh under the nose and connecting to the upper lip (circled in red).

How can I get rid of this? All the vertices are connected so it's not a hole, and I tried rearranging them to different elevations but still it remains. What can I do?

Ghostscape
07-06-2005, 09:43 PM
please post a wire frame.

PantherX
07-12-2005, 01:02 PM
SOME NEWS PPL!

project: AIOKO has moved to http://aioko.z01.info - new minisite launching in a few months.

Also, in future all picture updates and critique will be going on at http://nuke.z01.info - the ORACLE Nuke portal.

At ORACLE Nuke you will be able to sign up, view work, submit work and swap toolsets or download from the new online toolset library going online shortly - this will include titles ranging from Maya 6 Unlimited and endorphin 2 to complete MS and Adobe packages etc. You will require a decryption key but that will be supplied once you've registered.

ORACLE Nuke doesn't go live for a month - so until then - just keep checking www.z01.info (http://www.z01.info) for updates.

Thanks everyone

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2005, 01:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.