PDA

View Full Version : I just thought of the coolest idea for a LW feature

kilikili
07-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Imagine you're in modeler with a textured airlplane opened in perspective mode.

You're also selecting a back ground image of from a series of cloud pictures in ACDSee.

Here's the good part. You set the background image in the perspective window to "transparent to desktop" which leaves the model floating. Then you drag the whole modeler window to overlay ACDSee with a cloud picture. You adjust and then take a snap shot of the plane flying in the clouds.

What do you think?

Think of Adobe startup splash screens.

-Kilikili

evenflcw
07-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Wouldn't it be better to just be able use that cloud image as a backdrop in perspective view instead? ... with realtime hdri ;)

Just map the damn image to a polygon already!

Panikos
07-01-2005, 07:05 PM
There are some problems

LW Modeler doesnt operate in full screen mode.
Also it doesnt work in Video-Res size.
ACDSee the same

:twisted:

uncommongrafx
07-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Nah,
FPrime is a MUCH better alternative and it's available today.

Picture this: Open your favorite scene, with background and whatever elements desired.
Using the hub, open up modeler and start adding, as you please, to the scene with send object to scene.
Edit as you please. I've mapped shift-F12 to 'Sync Layout'; poof, look at it being updated at that moment. This works BEST on dual monitors as you can then keep a bunch of modeler panels open yet have a full view on an FPrime render.

Personally, I'd rather see them put efforts of this sort into the hooks that would make FPrime able to see everything; the renderer faster; an asynchronous renderer that could do this naturally. Well, not in the FPrime sense but in the sense that if I set it to render a bunch of frames, that I can go back to modeler OR Layout and alter whatever and see it recognized in the next rendered frame. Maybe, even, a switch that says, "Load at every frame" so that this can happen during lwsn renders.
Wow, guess I've been thinking about this as of late...

kilikili
07-02-2005, 07:39 AM
Actually, I was thinking more like this (in this case it would be from the render frame. Movie version below):

http://artrooms.7thbay.com/DesktopTR.jpg

Or see in action here >>> Video <<< (http://artrooms.7thbay.com/DesktopTR.wmv)
It may be best just to right click and save it. File is 14.5 megs.

Think of those HP picture frame commercials.

Kilikili

Nemoid
07-02-2005, 08:24 AM
well, what i think is that it could be good to make rough composites, to highlight some ideas u can have and show to someone on the fly,but u end up having modeler's open gl output, no antialias on the airplane too.because modeler doesn't render. also, modeler should create an alpha mask to make your image good for compo.
i agree on mapping the image and take a snaphot, and maybe using f prime too.

kilikili
07-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Yes, rough composites for visual storyboards, color references, web stuff, etc. Yes it would especially effective esecially with FPrime if it contained that feature. The video I posted earlier is just an example of a quick cloud composite test.

kilikili
07-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Hmmm... I guess not a good idea. http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/sad.gif C'est la vie.

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2005, 05:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.