PDA

View Full Version : Surface baker problem

cryptosporidium
07-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Hi, theres a problem with LW Surface baker. When im baking a lightmap into texture, output is very distorted and doesnt correspond with supposed image at all. On render everythings ok but UV texture is incredible mess. Before it worked, now suddenly it doesnt. Does anyone solved the same problem? Thnx for any advice.

kevman3d
07-01-2005, 10:54 PM
If its 8.3 - I've found that using 'bake shaders' in Surface baker can cause LightWave to crash. As for your problem, I don't know - Have you double-checked the UV map in modeler to make sure its looking OK?

Also, are you using any of the new interpolation options for UV such as Subpatch, etc? I'm not sure if those could cause Surface baker to whack out, but its something to try if you are (eg. set it back to Linear and try to bake to see if it looks different)

Can you post some images showing the problem as well (ie. wireframe of UV map in modeler and the Baker output).

Kev.

cryptosporidium
07-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Thanx for reply! Im using LW 7.5. I dont think that problem lies in UV mapping although it came to my mind. If i paint some texture in Photoshop and then i map it onto model, it looks fine. So problem must be somewhere in Layout editor. But as i said, i dont have any idea what could be a problem. I also tried to reinstall LW, change UV mapping, adjust settings, load object into different scene, etc., but result was allways the same. Interesting is that planar mapped objects are baked correctly. I work with low-poly objects for real time application, so there are no sub-patches and no dense geometry. There are some images below so you will see.

file:///C:/bake.jpgfile:///C:/wireframe.jpg

PetterSundnes
07-04-2005, 06:40 AM
file:///C:/bake.jpg
We dont have access to your harddrive, you should attach the files in a post instead :)

cryptosporidium
07-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Sht, sorry, my fault :-) Hope now its ok.

PetterSundnes
07-07-2005, 09:20 AM
I believe it is due to your long triangle polygons. The lw-baker gets problems figuring out how to render it. Try to divide the house into a more cubic layout with more sections.

cryptosporidium
07-12-2005, 07:01 AM
I tried to divide the model more precisely but it didnt help :-/ Artifacts are only arranged differently now. One thing came to my mind yesterday, if it cant be due to too large size of the model. Some mistake happened on the beginning and everything is 10x bigger than it should be (for example wall thickness is abt 3m - bad import from 3ds max). When i was found it out, it was too late to remake it. Anyway if i hide all rooms (there is only a living room at the picture above) and baking only one, the result is much better. Still there are few ugly spots, but not so much.

Then im wondering if there is some other rendering/surface baking solution for lightwave which i could use if i will not resolve this?

PetterSundnes
07-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Microwave from Evasion3D is great:
http://evasion3d.com/mw_lw_intro.html

Also the external photon based renderer Kray has baking:
http://kraytracing.com/index.php?subpage=4&info=1

cryptosporidium
07-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Hey, youre pretty fast man :-) Thanx

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2005, 08:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.