PDA

View Full Version : Goblin - travaler

Prs-Phil
07-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Hey there, long time since I posted here, but I finally got around to do some personal work.
I was browsing through my image folders and bumped into an old final fantasy XI concept. Altered it a bit and woopy, this model was born.

Wanted to keep it very low, Im going to work on the texture over the weekend.

C&C very welcome

http://pu-art.com/goblin_wip.jpg

PhilOsirus
07-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Very nice! Just like the original. Can't wait to see it textured:)

Beastie
07-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Thats pretty close to the real deal, nice job! Texture! ;)

RO
07-01-2005, 07:21 PM
I HATE THOSE THINGS!!! Looks great :)

S. J. Tubbrit
07-01-2005, 10:50 PM
EDIT : -

Post Deleted, due to respect for the original authors post.

Thanks

I didn't want it interfering with your post.

Regards

Wayne Adams
07-02-2005, 05:25 AM
Fantastic, don't know what the FF model looks like, but I like this one. Solid work. Keep it up.

Prs-Phil
07-02-2005, 10:30 AM
thx

@Trubbit

Thx a mill for that, that really helps, what concept did you use to build him ? I only have this rough scribble that I worked from.
A bit to many faces for my taste but a damn solid texture.
thx again

S. J. Tubbrit
07-02-2005, 03:58 PM
It's 'Tubbrit' !!, not Trubbit, hehe :)

Anyway, sorry, didn't mean for it to look like it was something I had created, that is the 'actual' model your looking at from the game itself, it's polycount is 2350 tris or so, I think it looks more so because it's triangulated.

Regards

qrt
07-02-2005, 09:16 PM
wy oo ww ! , super model, and texture :) . sow sweeeet :)

CataFa
07-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Nice model and I'm looking forward for your textured version Prs-Phil.

PhilOsirus
07-03-2005, 04:57 PM
It's 'Tubbrit' !!, not Trubbit, hehe :)

Anyway, sorry, didn't mean for it to look like it was something I had created, that is the 'actual' model your looking at from the game itself, it's polycount is 2350 tris or so, I think it looks more so because it's triangulated.

Regards

How did you get this screenshot? I was looking for such references from some Square Enix meshes.

Por@szek
07-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Cool idea Phil. Lovely, reminds me a bit cow but probably texture will change mi reminds :D

Prs-Phil
08-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Hi there, long time

Im coming around to texture this guy, and I will be texturing him a little different than the original.

http://pu-art.com/gob_tex2.jpg

SHEPEIRO
08-23-2005, 12:35 PM
the poor little thing looks tired.

Wildstyles
08-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Its nice to see some solid low poly work... which i think is an art form in it's self, I think.

Its nice and creative... I've no crits. I just wanna see more.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Por@szek
08-26-2005, 01:47 PM
How nice to see that You don't put this one to "forever WIP cataloqe" ;) Looks nice, but maybe turn upa bit contrast. Keep it up man.:thumbsup:

Prs-Phil
09-28-2005, 01:35 PM
ah, he is beeing resurected out of the depths of my harddisk

http://pu-art.com/gob_tex3.jpg

SHEPEIRO
09-28-2005, 02:28 PM
love the leather bit round the top.

have you got a little prob with the edge between pants and leg, very jagged, need to play around with stretching the cords, or perhaps create a seam there, just detach the uvws and move away from body, then move the texture around in PS to fit.

Good to see it back

Are you going to post ice cream man.

Prs-Phil
09-28-2005, 02:33 PM
thx,

I know what you mean, but I haven't touched that part yet, just basic color on the legs for now no real texture.

... yeah the fat icecreamguy :D, soon, soon

johnwoo
09-29-2005, 08:55 AM
Looking good Prs Phil...totally dig the shading and colour palette so far, proportions look solid aswell...looking forward to see how this progresses:thumbsup: ....btw...who is the Ice Cream man?...I'm intrigued now....:)

Prs-Phil
09-29-2005, 07:47 PM
:)

Here is a quick update. The head is still in progress and I was advised to bring to work more on the materials because at the moment there aren't to many.

http://pu-art.com/gob_tex4.jpg

I hope I can get him done tomorrow.

The icecream man, is .... creamy, and under the wips on my page.

the_podman
09-29-2005, 10:08 PM
That looks really great, Prs. Phil. Haven't seen work from you in a long time but I see you haven't lost any skills. I'm always amazed at how you pros paint on those tini tiny texture sheets. The faked lighting on that muzzle peice is outstanding.

-pod
:thumbsup:

mindrot
09-29-2005, 10:13 PM
Hey it's Prs-Phil!! Been a while. Nice to see you posting again :)

Like the character. Quite a unique shape. Textures are lloking sweet.

I Look forward to seeing it finished.

Don't be so scarse :scream:

SHEPEIRO
09-30-2005, 09:04 AM
looking better and better, love the nose bag, looks a little bondage though. but hey i dont know about goblins travelling exploits, he could be into that sort of thing.

Prs-Phil
10-05-2005, 09:35 PM
hey mindrot, yeah, very long time and a bit busy at the moment. The weekend didn't work for the model, to much drawing and going out ;) and the last days have also been a bit lame so the progress is only small but I thought Ill share.

Thx for the positive comments anway guys :)

http://pu-art.com/gob_quick.jpg

mindrot
10-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Know what you mean. I've been busy working on a 'new' character and I've been saying for the past two months that it will be finished on this day and that day comes and I say...well next week... and so on and so on... never enough time :blush:

Looking great so far. Very neatly laid out texture. Also like the colour range. Love the nose as well :D

SHEPEIRO
10-06-2005, 09:03 AM
not far to go now one last heave.:argh:

Headless
10-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Looks great. Really awesome texture work and nice conservative use of polys. :thumbsup:

PhilOsirus
10-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Looks very good, nice variation on the original design. I think the only problem is how many strips you have. Was there no way to keep more pieces attached togheter in the UV map? The more pieces you have separated from one another the more processing time it takes to "stitch" them back togheter.

Anyone with more info on that corret me if I'm wrong:)

SHEPEIRO
10-06-2005, 02:16 PM
i didnt think it made any difference, each vertex has to have co-ords any way, i geus though that if you split the edges you have tw0 (or more) co-ords for each vertex. does that really make a difference though.

enthombed
10-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Cool work in this goblin dude, te model is very simple, but the texture is good so much.

keep it up

Icaro

blz
10-06-2005, 05:45 PM
this is very good
great texturing
keep up the good work

PhilOsirus
10-07-2005, 12:30 AM
i didnt think it made any difference, each vertex has to have co-ords any way, i geus though that if you split the edges you have tw0 (or more) co-ords for each vertex. does that really make a difference though.

Maybe on next-gen it doesn't matter but when we had a presentation on optimization at school (which demonstrated a lot of tricks used mostly on PS2 games) we were told that not only does it add more vertex coordinates but the engine must patch it all togheter, hence find the vertices that are in fact welded and add an "invisible strip" of sorts between the separated parts. And apparently it was enough of an issue to ask texture artists to remake their UV maps. Supposedly the PS2 can really puch a lot more tris when this "stripping" method is respected.

But I was wondering if anyone had more info on this, how much of an issue it might still be, etc.

SHEPEIRO
10-07-2005, 08:27 AM
PHil"osirus" cheers for the info, little thingsbits of knowledge like this make all the difference.

PRS- well done for the rating, you deserve ti mate:)

bricevdm
10-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Hi everyone.
they are many things to keep in mind when working for currentGen, but if you want too respect every rules you'll get crazy ;) . I only worked with one engine yet, so I'll talk about it only, maybe others handle things better. I heard about PS2, so lets assume this is the target.The Uvs problem mentionned is true, each uv border duplicates the uvs. Same thing with hardedges/smoothing groups. GS (ps2 gpu) has to split the faces in order to produce extra normals. If your work with maya the uvs count is actually a more accurate info of the "weight" of your asset.
Fact is that polycount is not the real weakness of the ps2. Vram and GS cache are. I see you are using one 256*256*32bits map, a GS cache is 8Ko (128*128*4 or 128*64*8 etc...). That means that to draw one single tris the GS has to load 32 times! If you were working with smaller textures you can reduce it to one...
I don't mean to invade this thread but here's and example of mine:
http://www.mentalwarp.com/~brice/gallery/game_design/gnome01_ps2.jpg
(don't pay attention to the overall look, only for technical purpose).
See... there's only one texture (head) that is more than 1 time the GS cache.
That means you have to split into different textures, and then increase uvs count, but this is not the bottleneck on ps2.
Another usefull data is "polyset" notion. I don't know if this is engine or hardware, correct me if I'm wrong . Polyset is the amount of tris the GS can draw on a single cache load. That means 52 tris. So avoid to create uvs shells really smaller than 52. Best is multiple of 52 ( but 53 will load 2 times for nothing remember it ;) ).
Hope it helps and sorry for my bad technical english

Prs-Phil
10-07-2005, 06:07 PM
hey, thx again for the positive responses and the stars (I wish they would stand the 4 but I guess Ill have to finish him to at least dream about them ;) )

The uv issue ... hmmmm yes. I can only give my personal viewpoint on this one.

I don't understand the fuss. Ok so a seam doubles the vertexcount through uvs there but Ill gladly through 10 more vertics at the graphicscard if I can get nice spacing and a more consistant pixeldensity.

Im not promoting careless uv layouts but Im also no fan of uv fashisme.
During my last job the techdirector would try to optimize everything in the most extreme way. But hey, we all met in the middle, we where there to produce good art and he was there to make the game technically flawless (and he did a great job, learned alot from him) thats how we got together with these issues. Of course he couldn't look at all the work we did but with the time you know.

I don't know why this model is suddenly beeing discussed under PS2 constraints but hey, if I would need to develop for it I would learn and work by those constraints. Just a matter of "learning" it.

But thx guys for the interesting info on the PS2 so we do profit from this discussion, but I would rather see the people here discussing texturepainting issues and mistakes. :)

@bricevdm

Well, I do wan't to keep the thread, goblin pic intensive but it doesn't hurt if it aids your explainations you are free to from my part.

Ok it is Friday night, ... time for some Real Life :D

PhilOsirus
10-07-2005, 11:03 PM
It was just a good opportunity to learn more about game limitations:)

Anyway as for crits my only crit is the top of the head. The material looks like mint cany. Not sure why the darkened areas are light green?

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2005, 11:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.