PDA

View Full Version : Exporting Photoshop to Maya

dreab_boy
07-01-2005, 08:16 AM
Hi is there anyway i can export photoshop files to maya

like the other day i tried to get a chrome texture to the hypersahder of maya and it wont accept it is there any way that i can export photoshop to maya and use it as my texture that would be great

looking forward!!

leigh
07-01-2005, 08:18 AM
Why don't you just save the image in a format that Maya can use, like Targa, or JPG?

mannix8
07-01-2005, 09:29 AM
I'm not at home right now so I cant check if Maya do imports Photoshop files. from what i heard yes you can import it, if you have the latest version of Maya from v.5 to v6.5

I havent actually tried it myself because jpeg and targa is good enough and proven to work seamlessly with Maya.

madart
07-01-2005, 10:14 AM
I think from 6.0 (6.5?) there is an option in the hypershade to import/use PSD-files. Can't check right now.

dreab_boy
07-01-2005, 10:33 AM
yea but i tried importing it as jpeg i wanted to to import this metal texture i cant apply it to the 3d image any ideas how i can do it

when i imported the texture FCheck box comes up with da texture wut should i do with it

madart
07-01-2005, 08:42 PM
I don't understand why do you want to import the PSD-file? Why don't you just choose it as your texture?

What is that you want to do?

madart
07-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Do you use the import option in the hypershade? Is that why it doesn't work, I don't quite understand.

dreab_boy
07-01-2005, 11:02 PM
see i have a model of a robot which i made and i got a a texture from a photshop which is a metal i want that photoshop texture to be on the robot so it wil look chromed

i imported the psd file for the tesxture from the photshop and imported to the hyper shade but it comes up with FCheck bot with the texture in it and i dont know how to apply it to the robot

does that make sense?

madart
07-02-2005, 08:17 AM
I see your problem.

First of all DO NOT use import in the hypershader for getting the texture you want! I just tested it to see what happens, and yes the Fcheck does open up. I only use import in the hypershadr for importing shaders, that I have saved.

There are a number of ways to assign textures to your objects.

One way is to do the following:
In the hypershader go to Create - Materials - and choose your shader.

Select your object/faces and rightclick on the shader and choose Assign intialShadingGroup to selection.

Doubleclick on the shader in the hypershader and click on the slots (little checker button) under Color, for colormap, and click on the file button, then click the little folder button under Image name.

And you've got your texture on your object.

Ther eare several other ways of doing it, but this is a good way to do it for beginners. Read the manual and learn the other ways as well. Working in the hypershader is quick once you've learnt it.

Hope this explains it for you.

As for image format, you can use PSD if you wnat, but the best formats are TGA, (TIFF or JPG).

dreab_boy
07-02-2005, 11:57 AM
thx very much for your help greatly appreciated

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2005, 11:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.