PDA

View Full Version : Animated Terrain ?

kivanc_k
07-01-2005, 07:39 AM
Hi again,
I`m trying to do a well organized animated terrain, but I fail.

Aim is : There is a vehicle moving on a terrain and where wheels touch, terrain gets lower and rest stays the same.

I`ve rendered a black and white path animation (excluding the terrain) for digged area but I couldn`t map it sequentially.

Let`s say animation is 50 frames, I can make a terrain getting down from 1 to 50 as whole sector getting down slowly, by giving a keyframe on 1 and loading the last image map and keyframing on last. But, as expected, terrain animation happens through all sector, which is not the desired solution.

Any advice is highly appreciated.
Thanks

videodv
07-01-2005, 09:55 PM
You need to setup an animation of (black/white/grey for depth ect) to follow your path and then map the animation in the bump channel.

I will post a short test render shortly to show you what I mean.

videodv.

kivanc_k
07-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Thank you very much... Bump mapping worked. I never thought it would work because I always think of bump mapping as a shading technique applied during rendering, not a physical affect to model like displacement map. Anyway, it also solved another problem - animated bump mapping, digs your terrain in the relative slope of the terrain. Which means, black is not bottom (the ground plane), black means -z distance from the object surface (hope I`m not mistaken because I was in render, just guessed from what is seen on a few frames).

Thank you very much.

For those who wonder to try.

1.) Get a standard terrain
2.) shape it as usual
3.) select a material for your terrain
4.) go to material options->bump
5.) edit function (by clicking on the sphere (sphere is default one u see there))
6.) choose animated texture from rightclick menu
7.) select the sequence (settings are quite ok)
8.) when you go back to material window DO NOT FORGET TO CHANGE MAPPING SEETING TO object-parametric.
9.) render it over time, it works....

dear videodv.. Thank you very much. Any suggestions for the animated ecosystem population in the same manner ???
I now insist, ecosystem does not have a way to work for a similar affect.

Thanks one more again, hope this posting helps to the others also.

videodv
07-01-2005, 11:23 PM
No problem glad I was able to help.

I have tried several ways to use this type of tec to animate an eco system but alas so far no luck (it needs to repopulate each frame to be able to resync the population).

I was trying to get some rocks to fall down a hill, (you know to simulate a rock slide) and thought maybe with an animated mat I could get them to move where I wanted.

Maybe e-on will let this type of thing happen in a future update!

videodv.

kivanc_k
07-02-2005, 12:09 AM
aggree.
I`ve checked multiple material exchange/overlap methods too but no luck with builtin methodology.

I checked out python scripting and "rather then re-populate on every new frame", it seems there can be a solution, I even thought something about it but not cost efficient for me, at least for now. There are functions to handle "get/set/closest instance transformation properties" but, blaaaaaaa..... I switched to lightwave again. I`ll solve it with particleFX linkage and a bit cheating compositing on AE. Shame on e-on.

Thanks a lot for your efforts to reply.

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2005, 12:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.